Amtrak Cascades at Night?

GatorGirl57

I am looking at booking our Amtrak Cascades trip to Vancouver for a Carnival cruise that leaves on a Monday afternoon. I want to take the Sunday night train (leaves at 6:50pm and sunset is 7:43pm) so that I can have two days in Seattle (Saturday and most of Sunday) and still see a little of Vancouver Monday morning. I am hesitant because it seems the train ride is very scenic and I don't want to miss that either if it will be too dark. Thoughts?? Or will it still be nice in the dark??

We did the opposite of what you are suggesting this past May. We flew into Vancouver for 2 1/2 days of sightseeing before boarding the Amtrak train in the morning for the train ride into Seattle for our cruise departing out of Seattle the following day. We spent 1 day in Seattle before AND after our cruise. While Seattle was nice, Vancouver was much nicer and there was more to see and do in Vancouver. Will definitely head back to Vancouver for a solid week later in life.

I am looking at booking our Amtrak Cascades trip to Vancouver for a Carnival cruise that leaves on a Monday afternoon. I want to take the Sunday night train (leaves at 6:50pm and sunset is 7:43pm) so that I can have two days in Seattle (Saturday and most of Sunday) and still see a little of Vancouver Monday morning. I am hesitant because it seems the train ride is very scenic and I don't want to miss that either if it will be too dark. Thoughts?? Or will it still be nice in the dark??

If this is a Sept. trip you will have a little more daylight than you post with dusk, but not much. But this timeframe is wrong if you are talking May.

It looks like you are on the mid May cruise, since you are leaving from Vancouver. I'm not sure where you got your sunset info, but sunset mid May is about 8:45, plus it won't be completely dark for another 1/2 hour or so. Our days are very long in the PNW end of spring and summer.

You will be fine on that Sunday evening train.

Edited by crzndeb