Regal Review 11/9-16 in an aft cabin

cruiseintoheaven

I'll do my review by day, but start off with some comments in general about the ship, cabin, service, etc.

-We had R734, with an oversized balcony (approx. 100 sq. ft.), two chairs, footstools and a good sized table. The balcony between us and the owner's suite is much smaller, so be aware of that if you plan to book an aft balcony. In terms of the soot issue - we had a small amount one morning out of seven, and it was taken care of by the steward promptly. That was the beginning and the end of the soot for us. Whether it was the wind, speed, direction, fuel, etc. - no idea, just reporting our experience. I will say that there is quite a bit of vibration in the aft, not sure if this is unique as this was our first experience. It didn't bother us as we tend to like feeling like we are at sea. We enjoyed sitting out at night watching the stars and the wake, but we just weren't in the cabin that much this cruise to really justify the extra cost. Will consider that on future voyages.

-The Regal is a beautiful ship, very elegant with soothing tones. Crew were always out and about shining and cleaning. The center staircase was a non-issue for us as we like the exercise and didn't find it to be the hassle that many comment on. It seems odd to me that people book and board this class of ship knowing the design and then "ding" it review-wise, but that's just me.

-Service everywhere, from guest services, to bars (especially Crooners), restaurants, was consistently good. Can't recall a time when we didn't receive a friendly greeting anywhere we went. We also did not experience the dreaded pushing of services at the spa, etc.

-Having a strong Roll Call can really make a good cruise great. We were fortunate to meet a great and diverse group of folks that we had the pleasure of spending time with throughout our cruise, and we hope to see again.

Ok, on to the review!

Sunday: Embarkation was a bit chaotic but of our own doing - we arrived early despite the notice on our boarding passes to arrive later. In any case, we were onboard and eating at the IC (wonderful fresh salads) by noon, so no complaints. We had our M&G combined with Sail Away right after Muster in the Outrigger Bar. Despite the drizzle and cooler temps, we had a nice time connecting names and faces. We had dinner in the Horizon Court - selection, quality and service was very good, particularly the prime rib.

Monday: Despite some rough waters, we tendered over to Princess Cays without trouble and spent some time enjoying the loungers, the water and walking the beach area. After getting back on the Regal we had dinner with some folks from our RC in the MDR. The fettuccine in the parmesan basket was well worth the calories.

Tuesday: Our first sea day, our RC met for a cabin crawl which was very interesting. Probably most noteworthy was the sideways interior - very efficient use of space and storage. Princess led a nice Memorial Day Service in the Piazza that was well-attended. This was also our first formal night, and we had dinner in the MDR with another couple, and we enjoyed our conversation, food and service. Some other's in our group did the Crab Shack that evening and said it was excellent - oh well, next time:-) We weren't able to get a seat to see the comedian that evening, but enjoyed drinks at Crooners and people watching.

Wednesday: We arrived bright and early to St. Thomas and took the tram to the area that sells the infamous banana daiquiris (was a bit early for me but they looked good). We hit the souvenir shops for our requisite magnet, gewgaw, and postcard and then headed back to the ship to try Alfredo's. Pizza and service very good. Later we met our tour group for the Kon Tiki excursion. This was a very nice and relaxing way to spend the afternoon. The staff of the Kon Tiki go out of their way to inform and entertain you as you ride over to Honeymoon Beach. The music, games and rum punch ensured a good time. We spent about an hour or so enjoying the water and sun and then boarded for the ride back and more music, limbo, and laughs. After getting back on board we had a quick bite in the HC so that we could get good seats for Fiera! - can't say enough about how impressed we were with the show - just amazing.

Thursday: Arrived once again bright and early to St. Martin where we shared a cab to Marigot with a couple who were on the gigantic Allure of the Seas. We felt badly when they said they were actually loosing weight because the food was so bad....had a delicious pastry at Seraphinas and then took a cab to Maho to watch the planes. It was very hot, very crowded, and lots of fun. Saw lots of folks from our RC as well. Then we headed back to the ship for some time at the Retreat Pool and hot tubs, then some more sunning in front of MUTS. Before we left port, we were treated to a pretty spectacular fireworks show which was a treat. We had dinner at Alfredo's that evening and the veal ravioli (not it's real name) was outstanding. Antipastos were very good as well. Hung out at Crooners and off to bed as we had to be up early (relatively speaking) for:

Friday: The Ultimate Ship Tour. Though a bit pricey, we really enjoyed this. We got to see the backstage of the theatre, costume rack (think dry cleaners); the main galley/kitchen area (so clean!) where we had mocktails and dessert samples; the loading area; the engine room; the medical center which was surprisingly large and well-equipped - hope I never need to go there but was reassuring; the mooring station where the anchor is; and the bridge where we had drinks with the captain and crew. Pictures were taken throughout the tour, and we received those with a nice frame, plush Princess robes, and personalized stationary that evening in our cabin. The only place we couldn't see that was scheduled was the laundry - apparently it was backed up and unsafe. 48 hours after being home and working my way through what seems like an unending amount of laundry, I had a good laugh at the irony that I was certainly getting my share of it now:-). That evening we won the Michael Jackson trivia with some folks from our RC, and then watched the Marriage Match game - very funny and oddly touching.

Saturday: We lounged a bit, saw an ice carving demo, enjoyed the pop choir performance and then.....so sad.....started packing to get it out of the way. We signed up for the EZ Air (think that's what it's called) where they take your luggage and you don't see it until you get home (hopefully), and this worked very well. We had our "last supper" with some folks on the RC in the HC, and then off to MUTS for cookies and milk....then to bed.

Debarkation was smooth and painless.

Final thoughts: I'm genuinely puzzled by the relatively harsh reviews of the Regal on CC. Maybe I'm more of a glass half-full type, maybe we haven't cruised enough (yet) to be super picky, maybe we are too easily entertained and have low standards, but some of the things I read on CC make me wonder what planet people are on. When you add up the costs of lodging, food, entertainment, etc. cruising is still a very good deal. And, as I said at the beginning of my review, we consistently encountered great food and service, enjoyed some fine entertainment and met some great people. It saddened me to sit sometimes and listen to (thankfully relatively few) people gripe endlessly (you know who you are:) Was the cruise perfect? No. There were in fact aspects of our Ruby sailing that we preferred but all in all - we had a great time on the Regal and wouldn't hesitate to rebook her.

Tom & Lynn, nice review. I'm glad the two of you had a good time on the Regal. Hope we can do it again some day.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Thanks Ken - enjoyed your very thorough review as well. It would be really fun to sail with you and Darlene again some time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Cruiseintoheaven for your informative review .

I was happy to read your comments on the "sideways" interior cabins as we have booked one of these .

We have never booked an inside before and are a bit apprehensive .

We may still upgrade is the price is right but still looking for all the reassurance we can find.

We are interested in signing up for The Wine-maker's Dinner. Do you have any information ?

Very glad to read of your positive comments.

Thank you Cruiseintoheaven for your informative review .

I was happy to read your comments on the "sideways" interior cabins as we have booked one of these .

We have never booked an inside before and are a bit apprehensive .

We may still upgrade is the price is right but still looking for all the reassurance we can find.

We are interested in signing up for The Wine-maker's Dinner. Do you have any information ?

Very glad to read of your positive comments.

I had a sideways inside on the Royal and LOVED it (C323). When I first walked in I was a bit taken aback, as you look at the wall, which seemed close. However, it didn't take long until I realized this cabin was even larger and better laid out than some balconies I've had, definitely better than some of the mini-suites I saw on the Royal. I had been offered two upsells before I sailed and am very grateful I didn't take them. The way the closet/dressing area and bathroom are positioned makes it seem like the cabin has 2 rooms. The huge desk area and many, many storage places are magical!

2 days after the Royal cruise I sailed on the CB, in an inside cabin, on my favorite deck, in my formerly favorite cabin. I was so disappointed and wanted to swim back to the Royal!

One caveat, if you book a sideways inside that is a quad, I would try to move. I never saw it personally, but there are photos on the Royal boards and the 2 bunks hang down over the queen bed and the photo gave me claustrophobia. I understand they don't retract into the ceiling but stay there, whether they are used or not.

Have a great cruise.

Maureen

I had a sideways inside on the Royal and LOVED it (C323). When I first walked in I was a bit taken aback, as you look at the wall, which seemed close. However, it didn't take long until I realized this cabin was even larger and better laid out than some balconies I've had,

One caveat, if you book a sideways inside that is a quad, I would try to move. I never saw it personally, but there are photos on the Royal boards and the 2 bunks hang down over the queen bed and the photo gave me claustrophobia. I understand they don't retract into the ceiling but stay there, whether they are used or not.

Have a great cruise.

Maureen

Thank you so much Maureen for this positive info. We are just 2 in a cabin for 2 so all will be good.:)

I enjoyed your review I was on the same cruise. My maim complaint was the loudness of the band and that forced the singers to practically scream.

Loved tom in crooners definitely not a typical crooners piano guy.

Tom is so talented and an ultimate entertainer. He was on my CB cruise 2 years ago. Fantastic.

Maureen

Nice review. I loved the Regal as well. I'm with you, probably haven't cruised enough, but did the maiden TA. There demographic was slightly older than mine and the ship was full of elites and platinums, so I attributed the complaining to that.

I very quickly into the voyage had dubbed them "Fussy American's" but then had to change that to "Fussy North Americans" and was seriously doubting Brokaw's greatest generation's antics:). I digress, but my favorite fussy moment was during the talent show. A Canadian had a conniption about an American couple playing the songs of each branch of the military, going on about how they should have recognized some other countries military...um they were American!!!! He was so rotten he wouldn't even clap for the duo. I won't hold his behavior against our friendly neighbors to the North, whom I absolutely love, but I have never seen so many tantrums in the absence of toddlers or teenagers.

The stairs were a slight inconvenience, but mostly just because of the pressing of the buttons on every elevator bank to get one to stop, then they opened on every floor (most of the time no one was there). That gave the fuss buckets more time to complain about it for 17 days...I kept thinking if you are happy to take the stairs, can't you just walk 100ish more yards to get to the forward or the aft? I did just that on the way down, but am lazy on the way up unless it's 5 floors or less ( I have personal records to break to see how much weight I can gain on vacation!). Plus a game of Russian Roulette to see if you pick the right one can be a fun game if you are not in a hurry...

And the laundry, they joked that one of elites broke the record for laundry, one person sent 23ish bags, so not surprising, the laundry might have still been backed up from my cruise...lol

Actually all of the people we actually met were lovely, especially from our RC:), but the constant random complaints had me frequently joking that I was going to phone up the Captain, talk to Ron our CD, or call over the maître D to make bogus demands because after all I had gold card status!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums