Crown Princess and Norovirus

curtdesilets

We went on the Crown Princess in December a couple years ago and had delayed boarding for them to sanitize it from Noro. We still had an outbreak on our trip and were Code Red all week. My mom refuses to sail the Crown ever again because of this ongoing issue with it. It is happening way more on this ship than any other cruise ship out there and they need to get to the bottom of the issue. Sanitizing it doesn't seem to be helping because it seems a few months later it has another outbreak.

It also seems that their "Code Red" precautions do not work. From many comments here, it appears that Crown is often in a Code Red situation, yet they are still consistently getting Norovrus outbreaks. If I were the CEO of Princess, I would want to get to the root cause of this situation. It must be a real business killer to have this negative notoriety time and time again. .

It also seems that their "Code Red" precautions do not work. From many comments here, it appears that Crown is often in a Code Red situation, yet they are still consistently getting Norovrus outbreaks. If I were the CEO of Princess, I would want to get to the root cause of this situation. It must be a real business killer to have this negative notoriety time and time again. .

Root cause: Passengers who embark with noro but do not know it as symptoms have not presented themselves yet.

Secondary root cause: Passengers with symptoms who lie on the health form at check-in and say they do not have the symptoms.

While the Purell helps reduce bacterial infections, it's useless against noro, which is a virus. But it makes you feel better about things, so no harm.

It makes some passengers feel so much better about things using Purell that they skip the hand washing which is effective.

" It must be a real business killer to have this negative notoriety time and time again. "

Re: Noro on the Crown. Has it been a real business kill? Are future bookings down and/or cancellations up?

Aren't there official statistics somewhere about which ships get the virus and when? Does the Crown have an official bad record in this regard?

Which is why they should have a preemptive Code Red the first 2 or 3 days. It keeps noro with the folks who caught it pre-cruise and keeps it from spreading to everyone else. Just saying.

We're sailing on the Crown at the end of February out of LA. Should I worry? If I were to cancel, will Princess give me a credit on a future cruise? What about my flight bookings? My final payment is due December 8th.

Deposit Monies should be refundable until the final payment deadline, unless your on some promo and the deposit you have is non refundable.

We have been on the Crown two weeks after a major Noro event and had no problems. We wiped down the cabin with the right kind of wipes we ordered on line and we never used the public restrooms and washed our hands regularly and had a wonderful time:D. If your concerned then cancel and select another ship. Its not worth the worry.

Edited by rtlk

The incubation period for Norovirus (aka - stomach flu) is only 2 days. The ship, crew, and passengers were fine for the previous 3 weeks. It is obvious from this that someone, crew or passenger, picked it up in Tahiti at a restaurant, on a bus, or just touching something that someone who had the virus had touched.:rolleyes: it is not the ships fault, they do everything they can to thwart it. The CDC says that everyone will probably get it 5 times during their lifetime. It is the most common illness in the U.S. during the cooler months. There are probably a few cases at each of the schools around everyone right now, but it does not make the news. Remember when on the plane, don't touch the seat belt, head rest, arm rest, tray, emergency info card without your disposable latex gloves or spraying first with disinfentant.LOL:eek:

Edited by Holomoku

Aren't there official statistics somewhere about which ships get the virus and when? Does the Crown have an official bad record in this regard?

Yes, the CDC tracks outbreaks where 3% or more of the passengers come down with the virus. Their website shows that since the Crown started sailing in 2006 it has suffered essentially three outbreaks. The first in Jan-Feb 2012 on b2b cruises, then again in April 2014 and the current outbreak.

If you look at the other ships from all the cruise lines tracked since 2006 the Crown does not have the most outbreaks. There are some ships with as many as 7 outbreaks in the same time period. There are several Princess ships with more outbreaks than the Crown during the same time period. The idea that the Crown has the most outbreaks of any ship is a myth.

Edited by Princess Patches

Yes, the CDC tracks outbreaks where 3% or more of the passengers come down with the virus. Their website shows that since the Crown started sailing in 2006 it has suffered essentially three outbreaks. The first in Jan-Feb 2012 on b2b cruises, then again in April 2014 and the current outbreak.

If you look at the other ships from all the cruise lines tracked since 2006 the Crown does not have the most outbreaks. There are some ships with as many as 7 outbreaks in the same time period. There are several Princess ships with more outbreaks than the Crown during the same time period. The idea that the Crown has the most outbreaks of any ship is a myth.

We were on the Crown in 2012 and felt the full effects of Noro. We are scheduled to sail on her again next month during Christmas. If you carry Princess insurance check your policy. You can receive a full credit on a future cruise if you cancel for ANY reason.

Edited by 6pack

We were on the Crown in 2012 and felt the full effects of Noro. We are scheduled to sail on her again next month during Christmas. If you carry Princess insurance check your policy. You can receive a full credit on a future cruise if you cancel for ANY reason.

Only if you have the platinum insurance!

Only if you have the platinum insurance!

That's true and is why I said check the policy. In saying that, if you bought the standard insurance from Princess and you're Platinum or Elite you automatically get the Platinum policy. If that's the case, you are covered for any cancellation outside of Specified Perils for a full credit on a future cruise.

Root cause: Passengers who embark with noro but do not know it as symptoms have not presented themselves yet.

Secondary root cause: Passengers with symptoms who lie on the health form at check-in and say they do not have the symptoms.

Third root cause: Passengers with symptoms while cruising...who know they have it, but don't report it because they don't want to be quarantined! I believe this is a biggie! :mad:

During the recent 28 (29) day sailing, the Capt. announce that the Crown had scored very high on it's recent inspection. Not sure what that "inspection" included though.

The incubation period for Norovirus (aka - stomach flu) is only 2 days. The ship, crew, and passengers were fine for the previous 3 weeks. It is obvious from this that someone, crew or passenger, picked it up in Tahiti at a restaurant, on a bus, or just touching something that someone who had the virus had touched.:rolleyes: it is not the ships fault, they do everything they can to thwart it. The CDC says that everyone will probably get it 5 times during their lifetime. It is the most common illness in the U.S. during the cooler months. There are probably a few cases at each of the schools around everyone right now, but it does not make the news. Remember when on the plane, don't touch the seat belt, head rest, arm rest, tray, emergency info card without your disposable latex gloves or spraying first with disinfentant.LOL:eek:

Correct! I spray/wipe down every surface, knob, switch, etc. in the cabin the minute we get in there. I also, wipe down the seatbelt, tray table, armrests, latches, buttons, knobs, window shade and little tv screen every time I get on the plane!

This is the number one vector for almost any illness in some form that would be otherwise controllable (in the same area as people who go to work sick, or send their kids to school ill, etc)

Third root cause: Passengers with symptoms while cruising...who know they have it, but don't report it because they don't want to be quarantined! I believe this is a biggie! :mad:

MomtoJack, it looks like we'll be sailing together. The Crown and the terminal are going to undergo a thorough cleaning on Saturday. We should be fine!

That's what you said last week after the Crown cruise returned when you jumped down my throat.

That being said, I hope all cruises going forward on the Crown are Noro free.

Bill

We went on the Crown Princess in December a couple years ago and had delayed boarding for them to sanitize it from Noro. We still had an outbreak on our trip and were Code Red all week. My mom refuses to sail the Crown ever again because of this ongoing issue with it. It is happening way more on this ship than any other cruise ship out there and they need to get to the bottom of the issue. Sanitizing it doesn't seem to be helping because it seems a few months later it has another outbreak.

Sounds like your Mom is a very smart woman.

I would not hesistate to book other Princess ships but the Crown, I don't think so.

Been there, done that.:(

Bill

My colleagues at CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program estimate that every new cruise sailing from a US Port has just boarded between 40 and 60 passengers who have Norwalk Virus.

Some of them have unknowingly picked it up on the way to the ship and do not yet have any symptoms - but they are already contagious.

Others know that they have it and do not want to admit it for fear of being isolated in their cabins or denied boarding.

All of these people are moving around the ship, contaminating everything they touch.

It doesn't matter how sanitary you make the ship. As soon as a new crop of people who were raised by wolves gets onboard, it is no longer sanitary.

Who are those people who manage to avoid getting sick, despite all the contagion around them?

Those who avoid the buffets for the first 72 hours.

Those who avoid public toilets ALWAYS.

Those who NEVER put their hands in their mouth, nose, eyes, or ears.

Those who eat all food with utensils instead of with hands.

People suffering from viruses rarely give that virus to others.

It is usually people with unclean personal habits who allow the virus to enter their bodies.

We just disembarked the Crown this morning from the "abbreviated" Mexican Riviera cruise that left last Sunday evening. The ship was super clean, but the Capt reported 39 additional cases during the week and we were down to five passengers that were confined to their staterooms as of yesterday. Obviously, we were in code red all week. It was somewhat of a pain....especially being served in the Horizon Court. That aside, there seemed to be some audio visual equipment problems in various locations onboard. Food was top notch. We made the best of a challenging situation.

We were on the 28 day cruise prior to yours with the 150 or so Noro breakouts. We wiped down everything in our room with the special peroxide Noro wipes before we even unpacked, washed our hands in hot soapy water after they were sprayed with Purell in the dining room, were very careful about not holding on to the handrails etc. Yet we each came down with Noro and had the spend the mandatory 48 hours in our stateroom. They sanitized our room twice a day and sent us food and drink. I think better crew training would help as I saw instances of crew coughing into their hands and then picking up serving utensils. On other Princess ships there were hand wipes in the Internet Café but I never noticed them on the Crown.

I,m sure you would have found it more aggravating to be confined in your room for 3 days just be glad they took the measures they do to prevent the spread and taking about aggravating I overheard the person in front of me refuse to sanitize their hands stating they had just washed their hands just before coming to buffet well let me tell you if ever I hear someone say that again I will turn into one of those arrogant cruisers that customer service has to deal with and hasn,t got a chance on hell of pleasing

I will give it right back and tell them what selfish and ignorant people they are and take a course on infection control

and so many wonder why we get noro on ships

The sanitizer does nothing to prevent the noro virus. Soap and water is the best thing.

We were on the 28 day cruise prior to yours with the 150 or so Noro breakouts. We wiped down everything in our room with the special peroxide Noro wipes before we even unpacked, washed our hands in hot soapy water after they were sprayed with Purell in the dining room, were very careful about not holding on to the handrails etc. Yet we each came down with Noro and had the spend the mandatory 48 hours in our stateroom. They sanitized our room twice a day and sent us food and drink. I think better crew training would help as I saw instances of crew coughing into their hands and then picking up serving utensils. On other Princess ships there were hand wipes in the Internet Café but I never noticed them on the Crown.

Perhaps the crew needs to be educated to cough and sneeze in the crook of your arm or elbow. This is huge.