Meet HAL's New President - Orlando Ashford

InTheWASide

Adjusted this post as Seatrade had better coverage and talk about other major executive changes:

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/hal-appoints-president-has-exec-changes-with-new-group-services-team.html

At the same time, several senior HAL executives will be retiring at the end of the fiscal year, while a number of key players have expanded their roles as part of a new group services team for the Holland America Group. A spokeswoman declined to name the departing executives but said they comprise a small group, mostly at the senior level.
Edited by InTheWASide

I wish Mr. Ashford all the best. Hopefully he will be wildly successful in his new HAL position and will carry the cruise line forward in directions that will make us all happy Mariners and happy crew/staff/Officers.

Interesting. His background in talent management and consulting may make him really good - and at times, an outside point of view can be great. I would like to think his consulting experience makes him a good listener - the good ones are. I downloaded the preview to his book and, jargon aside, he comes across very passionate about what he believes in. Will be interesting for sure.

Ashford has no experience in the cruise business. If I were he I would do an "Undercover Boss" routine on several HAL ships. That's the only way he'll know what works and what needs to be changed.

That is a real good suggestion!

I for one welcome some totally new blood into HAL. It sounds like Mr Ashford has a diverse background that could mesh well with the cruise industry. I agree he needs to go on board several of the ships and get a good feel of what is happening as well as maybe check out the competition. I think this could be exciting for those in Seattle and those on the ships :)

We shall speculate, as many other HAL customers will do. Mr. Kruse (and the board) have reached outside the cruise industry to bring in a prior Mercer exec (we are quite familiar with Mercer). We assume that this reflects some concern on the part of Mr. Kruse (and his board) about the performance of HAL and/or its direction. We have previously been somewhat critical of HAL (and been flamed by many for such criticism) but recently completed a very nice 38 day Oosterdam cruise that exceeded most of our expectations. But we do see many problems with HAL and know about some key employees (who work aboard the ships) who are unhappy due to what they perceive as bad decisions from Seattle. In fact, we have known more then one HAL employee who has asked passengers to lobby Seattle regarding certain issues. What is fascinating about key crew asking passengers to lobby for certain improvements is that the employees feel that their only outlet is via the passengers.

When employees no longer feel they can express their concerns to management it means there are some major management issues. Mercer is a world-class consultant company that has been very successful at analyzing companies and recommending changes that should lead to an improvement in terms of efficiency and profit. We (and some others) have long thought that HAL was a line run by older folks whose minds were still in the 1960s (or earlier). New blood is not always a good thing, but in this case we hope it brings some needed improvements and is seen as a positive move by HAL staff.

Bringing in a Mercer executive means that HAL has determined that what is needed is not more cruise industry expertise, but rather some "out of the box" thinking. HAL needs to take a good look at their own industry, what has been successful, and where HAL has gone wrong in trying to attract a new generation of cruisers. The real challenge for Mr. Ashford will be how to keep the loyalty of the legions of older HAL cruisers who are truly dedicated to the line, and at the same time make the line more attractive to others who see HAL as a line run by old people for old people....and a line resistant to positive change.

As one who enjoys variety in cruising (we have been happy cruisers on 14 lines) we look forward to seeing what positive changes will happen under Mr. Ashford's leadership.

Hank

Ashford has no experience in the cruise business. If I were he I would do an "Undercover Boss" routine on several HAL ships. That's the only way he'll know what works and what needs to be changed.

That's a good idea, and one way to proceed.

Another would be, before his face is well known, to sail as a passenger in a lower-level category, without anyone knowing who he is. To cruise on a (or more) HAL ship, and even other lines, would give him experience he won't otherwise have.

Another would be, before his face is well known, to sail as a passenger in a lower-level category, without anyone knowing who he is. To cruise on a (or more) HAL ship, and even other lines, would give him experience he won't otherwise have.

Give him a list of the most absurd passenger complaints to present to the Front Desk each day like - "Why does my inside cabin not have a window?" "Does the "Boat" have to move up and down so much?" "This guy keeps coming in my cabin, cleaning it up and leaving these weird little animals made out of towels?? this is really creeping me out..." Then see how Staff responds :D

Give him a list of the most absurd passenger complaints to present to the Front Desk each day like - "Why does my inside cabin not have a window?" "Does the "Boat" have to move up and down so much?" "This guy keeps coming in my cabin, cleaning it up and leaving these weird little animals made out of towels?? this is really creeping me out..." Then see how Staff responds :D

I would have him just sit near the Front Desk and listen in. Same thing in some of the lounges, and shows. That way he would keep a lower profile, and still accomplish the same purpose. Just act like an interested passenger.

I would have him just sit near the Front Desk and listen in. Same thing in some of the lounges, and shows. That way he would keep a lower profile, and still accomplish the same purpose. Just act like an interested passenger.

In all seriousness, you are absolutely right. :)

I wouldn't be the least surprised to hear he does something like this. Of course, it is time consuming but likely time well spent.

The problem is I.D. His passport has to bear his real name. It won't be a secret the name of HAL's new President.

Do we all really want HAL to change that much? While at times maybe not perfect (what in life really is?) I at least would not want it to change so much that it resembled RCCl, Disney or NCL, etc. What’s the old adage “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.” Might we all just be a bit cautious with what we "wish for" as we might just get it plus a lot more we don't wish for.

Do we all really want HAL to change that much? While at times maybe not perfect (what in life really is?) I at least would not want it to change so much that it resembled RCCl, Disney or NCL, etc. What’s the old adage “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.” Might we all just be a bit cautious with what we "wish for" as we might just get it plus a lot more we don't wish for.

I would like to see it change back to at least some of what it once was, call it "core values" with whatever twists are necessary to keep the bean counters at bay. Entropy has reared its ugly head here and the results are not always pretty. I for one, would be willing to pay more for a product that is worth the investment, there are plenty of cheap cruises out there where the expectation of quality service, etc. is really not the issue or concern for many (apparently). HAL needs to refind its niche, redevelop its market and service those who are not just concerned with how inexpensively they can cruise.