OT: dress for summer afternoon wedding

trish1c

You are all so knowledgeable, please help me with a close call.

SO's neice is getting married in July. It's an early afternoon wedding with a 5 pm reception. I bought a stylish new dress but now I'm afraid it won't be dressy enough. What do you think?

It's a white & red heavy cotton dress with 3% spandex so it hold's it's shape. It's a tight fabric weave so it looks smooth, not casual. The top is straight across the bust all the way around & fitted to the waist in solid white. There are two spaghetti straps that criss-cross in the back but they are more decorative than functional.

The skirt is full to the knee ~ a la 1940's ~ with red flowers on black stems growing up from the hem. It's a very artistic pattern (doesn't look like dead flowers). A red bow functions as a sash / belt.

If I wear my long hair all in curls, with button pearl earrings & full strand of pearls & red high heeled strappy sandals (or white sling backs; I have't decided) will that be OK for the wedding? I have a red wrap for in the church & if the AC is too cool. I'm hesitant b/c it's not silk.

I would not wear it on formal night on a cruise b/c it's not dressy enough for that. It's nicer than smart casual but I'm not sure if it even qualifies as semi-formal; I tend to think not.

I can't change in between b/c the wedding is 2+ hours away from home.

vote:

* wear it; it sounds perfect for a wedding

* wear it & don't worry b/c it will pass

* don't wear it b/c it's not fancy enough for a wedding

* take it back; it sounds dreadful

Thanks.

Trish

I think the dress sounds FABULOUS!! Is it an outside wedding or reception? Then for sure a sleeveless dress. Take a shawl in case it chills up, but I doubt it.

You know more about East Coast weather then me, anyway...hahahaha

Gorgeous sounding dress. Can you post a pic link?

Peggy - RCI since 1973

I wish I owned this dress!!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Hi Trish, just read your post and your dress sounds like it will be perfect:) and I must say, In my opinion you could definitely bring it on a cruise...wear it for an informal night or even dressed up on a casual evening!

Hi Janet...great to see you as well:D

Archived