bucket list...still haven't heard one word from HAL...

Kjw1856

I don't understand the connection between not being able to take a shower and using adult diapers. People that age do not need a complete shower everyday, their skin is usually very dry and thin. You should of sat her on the toilet and washed the important parts. Why you would make her us diapers if she didn't need them is beyond me. Seems like it is y our fault for the infection. Did you wash her everytime you changed the diaper? I am glad your grandmother is doing better.

I am sorry for your negative experience that even continued after your cruise ended. This should have been a pleasurable vacation with wonderful memories.

I thank you for sharing this very personal mishap with the cruise critic community.

Hey, this is how we learn about cruising: the good, the bad and things to avoid. Posts like this help us all. I am sorry for any negative feedback your received.

Veendam has free saunas and showers in both men's and women's changing rooms outside the spa. I have used the showers and sauna without paying many times. All of the S class ships have this available (at least they did last time we were on) and according to deck plan is still there..

Like others I suspect there is more to the story than we've heard

Veendam has free saunas and showers in both men's and women's changing rooms outside the spa. I have used the showers and sauna without paying many times. All of the S class ships have this available (at least they did last time we were on) and according to deck plan is still there..

Like others I suspect there is more to the story than we've heard

Thanks for the clarification - I thought they were free. I know that on the Vista class ships you have access to the showers/locker room.

DaveOKC

I see OP used that word describing the lady her grandmom was 40 years ago. Maybe she meant 'ornery'? If so, that wouldn't necessarily be considered a compliment by some. :)

Perhaps I am wrong and that is not what was meant. :confused:

My guess was "ornery" as well.

Wow.... What a crowd here... I hope that HAL responds to you in an acceptable manner to you and Grandma. And, I hope you both get to have another opportunity to travel again soon!

Dear Sam,

when someone posts things that beg questions and obviously not an objective review, it is going to beg questions.

If the OP doesn't come back and answer the questions or the comments then.......

I stand by my comments and I am NOT a cheerleader. I do hope the OP gets satisfaction but based on the limited info they provided, it might be an unreasonable expectation if their grandmother was not up to the travel.

Sadly, I have seen this and it isn't a pretty sight.

Dear Sam,

when someone posts things that beg questions and obviously not an objective review, it is going to beg questions.

If the OP doesn't come back and answer the questions or the comments then.......

I stand by my comments and I am NOT a cheerleader. I do hope the OP gets satisfaction but based on the limited info they provided, it might be an unreasonable expectation if their grandmother was not up to the travel.

Sadly, I have seen this and it isn't a pretty sight.

I have, too. And I hope that, when and if the time comes, our children will have enough sense to advise us that it's best if we don't cruise.

As a personal note we are caregivers for my BIL, who is developmentally disabled. He is also on in years and frail. Some of you have met him on a few cruises we have taken.

On the last cruise we took with him we had an awful time. It was a back to back and we almost left when the ship returned to FL mid-cruise. We had an aft wraparound suite that was just wrong for us. the seas were rough, the vibration was keeping us all awake, he was cranky and everything was going wrong. On a whim, I went to the GRM and asked if there was another cabin available. We were even willing to take a downgrade. Anything to be more comfortable.

I have to say that HAL went out of their way to help us. We were given a "sleeping cabin" while keeping the aft for the daytime. Luckily, there was a no-show for the second half and they moved us to a Neptune suite mid-ship, which was much more comfortable for all of us, especially my BIL. While it was better, it was not great. MY BIL was just not doing well.

THE GRM called us several times to make sure everything was all right and to find out if there was anything they could do for us. We were most appreciative of everyone's concern. So much so that I wrote a letter to HAL at the end of the cruise.

We made a decision at the end of that cruise. It was my BIL's last cruise. His cruising days are over. He did not do well. He was miserable and so were we. It was not worth it.

There comes a time when someone's cruising days are over.

Terri

I note that the OP is a first and probably last time poster. She was expecting sympathy and support and she just did not get any.

DON

I did notice the OP's post count.

But I also noticed some sympathy for the situation.

If the OP wanted something more in the way of commiserations or suggestions on what to do to help rectify the situation, s/he needed to be more specific in the original post. I don't think anyone reading the post would be able to figure out exactly what the issue was or what went wrong. It's near impossible to be suitable sympathetic with no details or explanation of the problem.

I have re-read the original post and have to admit some confusion. The title makes me wonder if this cruise was one of Grandma's bucket list items and that neither she nor Granddaughter had previously cruised.

Did Grandma make the arrangements and invite Granddaughter to accompany her? Had Granddaughter recently spent an extended period of time with Grandma so she understood Grandma's limitations?

Had Grandma used a travel agent to make the reservation, in which case what recommendations or arrangements did the agent make for this elderly woman? If they made the arrangements on their own, how much research did they do?

Why did the use of adult diapers result in urinary tract infection? As other posters mentioned, it should have been possible to maintain adequate personal cleansing without the use of a shower. Frequent changes are necessary when using adult diapers in order to maintain skin integrity and avoid urinary problems.

Did Grandma already have a history of UTI's, in which case her family MD could have helped them prepare for this eventuality. I can't see how HAL would be responsible for this unfortunate situation.

It sounds to me that this Granddaughter had anticipated a great time with a beloved Grandma without a complete understanding of Grandma's limitations. I'm sorry the reality of her experience was so different from her expectations.

Please understand I am not doubting there were problems, but my professional expertise is in management of geriatric care services. Usually problems arise when there is lack of understanding of patient needs and poor preparation to manage those needs. I think that is what happened here.

As others have mentioned, the OP's expectation of response from HAL within a few short days of disembarkation seems unreasonable. Assuming she laid out her complaint and her request for a response in writing and in a clear, concise fashion, HAL still needs time to receive and refer that communication to the proper individuals. There needs to be time for HAL to investigate the situation from all angles. The OP apparently is upset enough to not take into account that her's is not the only question or complaint received on any given day.

Edited by the2ofus

Several (many) posts have been deleted and this thread is closed.

As a reminder, this admonition is included in our guidelines:

Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted.

Accusing a poster of prevaricating is a violation of this guideline.