Tipping w.no drink package

runner2013

Yes Blackburn is in England. I have been to America numerous times but never with more than 2 people. I have also never paid 15% in any restaurant

It wouldn't surprise me one bit you coming to US and waitstaff giving you the stink eye for not leaving a $2 tip for a $20 meal at a diner.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

It wouldn't surprise me one bit you coming to US and waitstaff giving you the stink eye for not leaving a $2 tip for a $20 meal at a diner.

10% is fine. It is only the greed of USA residents who have decided to go for more

I am curious as to why a little line of convenience would make you feel obligated to tip more? Because it's there :D

If it was not there, how would someone go about adding an additional tip if they chose to do so? Uh, cash?

... Edited by vent1020

I have also never paid 15% in any restaurant

You have if you have eaten in many restaurants in the downtown Miami area.

Sorry, you might be correct. Many restaurants in the Miami add an automatic 18% to the check because of European tourists, like yourself, that refuse to recognize American tipping customs when they come here.

Edited by Beaver1975

"When in Rome".

Do as the romans do ~or ~take yourself to McDonald's or any fast food restaurants that doesn't have waitstaff and eat there since tips are not required there. Don't like it? Either shut up or put up, Ewoodspark...

I don't understand these threads...why does it need to turn so nasty? First, as an American, I don't really like the forced tipping culture under which we operate either. I think that everyone should be paid a fair salary for the job they do and then tipping really should be an unexpected reward for service that goes above and beyond. It does seem crazy that tipping has become a mandatory and expected part of any customer service industry. THAT BEING SAID, it IS a part of the culture here in the US and on many cruise lines and it really will be taken as rude if you "choose" not to participate. But why cant we all see that this is just the result of cultural differences? Ewoodspark is from the UK and is understandably operating from his own cultural viewpoint. Thats ok, he is allowed to do that. It might seem offensive to some but can't we see that he is not TRYING to be offensive, he is just coming at it from his point of view. Calling him names and acting superior only furthers our negative stereotype in the world. We should be nicer to each other.:(

Why hijack? The opening post header is : Tipping w.no drink package

I appreciate that the tip can be increased. Equally so, it can be decreased. Nobody can force anybody to pay a 15% tip.

I have a serious question for you.....please don't flame me!!

If, as you say, nobody can force you to pay a 15% tip, and assuming that you have sailed NCL, what, if anything, did you do about it?

Did you PAY the bar bill as was? Did you pay the bar bill MINUS the 15% tip?

Or did you go to Guest Services and get all/any 15% charges removed from your final bill?

If you did any of the above, or something different, what reaction did you get from Staff? By which I mean were they surprised? Did they question or was the charge just removed?

I am genuinely interested, so would appreciate a genuine response. Thank-you.

Now you are raising other issues. The thread is not about DISCRETIONARY SERVICE CHARGE.

A cheapskate jerk? My, you do have a lovely way with words:).

If I do not like paying 15% in tips, then I will not. However, that will not stop me travelling around Europe and even USA.

Because you have issues with tipping in general no matter what it is - this time it drink tip. And answer meltingmoments questions because inquiring minds would love to know how you get out of paying an automatic 15% charge to your sail card / credit card. I know their are two answers to that - so what is your answer?

I have a serious question for you.....please don't flame me!!

If, as you say, nobody can force you to pay a 15% tip, and assuming that you have sailed NCL, what, if anything, did you do about it?

Did you PAY the bar bill as was? Did you pay the bar bill MINUS the 15% tip?

Or did you go to Guest Services and get all/any 15% charges removed from your final bill?

If you did any of the above, or something different, what reaction did you get from Staff? By which I mean were they surprised? Did they question or was the charge just removed?

I am genuinely interested, so would appreciate a genuine response. Thank-you.

No problem, I respect your question. When presented with the slip of paper, I simply adjusted the "automatic" 15% tip. Not once has it ever been an issue with anybody. I simply state that in my opinion the suggested figure of 15% is too high and my suggested figure is around 10% or make the amount up to a round amount. I simply change the amount and sign. Tips cannot be enforced. The only time I have refused to pay any tip is on sailaway, when they have cans in large buckets. Then I am not prepared to any extra for sombody to hand me a can of beer:)

Just as the discussion is becoming interesting, I have to sign off. Got a plane to catch for a lovely break in Puerto Del Carmen. No 15% tips there !!

No problem, I respect your question. When presented with the slip of paper, I simply adjusted the "automatic" 15% tip. Not once has it ever been an issue with anybody. I simply state that in my opinion the suggested figure of 15% is too high and my suggested figure is around 10% or make the amount up to a round amount. I simply change the amount and sign. Tips cannot be enforced. The only time I have refused to pay any tip is on sailaway, when they have cans in large buckets. Then I am not prepared to any extra for sombody to hand me a can of beer:)

Just as the discussion is becoming interesting, I have to sign off. Got a plane to catch for a lovely break in Puerto Del Carmen. No 15% tips there !!

Thank-you for your response.

PS......it's not customary to leave a tip in Spanish restaurants and bars as the service charge is already included! :)

Tipping is very much an expected practice in the UK. In recent years I have noticed that more people seem to try and get out of tipping, especially here in Edinburgh, where I now live, Yorkshire, and small villages like Blackburn in Lancashire.

I have always given generously when deserved, but what I do agree with is to have the discretion to reduce the tip or withdraw completely if service has been poor.

The generally accepted amount in the UK is 10%. People who usually receive tips are Waiters, Bar Staff, Taxi Drivers, Take Away (Hot Food) delivery drivers, Barbers etc. It has in the past been customary to give a tip or gift at Christmas to the Postman and Refuse Collectors, though this seems to be dying out nowadays.

I was brought up to reward good service, but too many these days seem greedy and don't want to tip.

Really? We're talking about a .35 cent to .40 cent difference in the tip depending on if the drink was $7.00 or $8.00.

Depending on where you are, if you're not sitting at the bar, the server has to walk over to you and take your order. He/she then has to talk over to the bar and put in your order. He/she then has to walk back over to you and hand you your napkin and drink and leave the slip there for you. He/she then has to walk back over to you (if they didn't wait) and take your slip back to the bar with your room key. He/she then has to walk back over to you and have you sign the slip and give you back your room key.

Harriet

Really? We're talking about a .35 cent to .40 cent difference in the tip depending on if the drink was $7.00 or $8.00.

Depending on where you are, if you're not sitting at the bar, the server has to walk over to you and take your order. He/she then has to talk over to the bar and put in your order. He/she then has to walk back over to you and hand you your napkin and drink and leave the slip there for you. He/she then has to walk back over to you (if they didn't wait) and take your slip back to the bar with your room key. He/she then has to walk back over to you and have you sign the slip and give you back your room key.

Harriet

Exactly, now picture that in Euros / pounds instead of US dollars, then you'll understand why I call him a outright cheapskate. Euro/pound is how much under /over the US dollar? Pocket change, no matter how you dice it regarding 15% tip in either side of the pond....

I have NEVER EVER heard of someone taking the 15% off a drink bill EVER

Me neither! I would never even have thought it was possible to do such a thing, hence my (polite) questioning of Ewoodspark as to how they actually were able to do it. Their response seems feasible enough, I just don't think that I would be bold enough to even consider it! :eek:

Me neither! I would never even have thought it was possible to do such a thing, hence my (polite) questioning of Ewoodspark as to how they actually were able to do it. Their response seems feasible enough, I just don't think that I would be bold enough to even consider it! :eek:

Or mean enough I hope.

I didn't want to put that as I didn't want to offend anyone, but no, absolutely NOT mean enough! We are always the ones who add an extra dollar or two each time we are at the bar........and that's quite often! ;)

I would be understanding if 5.75 in US dollars was 8.75 or the equivalent in Euros for a bottle of beer on a cruise but if I'm not mistaken, it still about 5.75 but in Euros - so what exactly is being saved over there in tips?

You have to understand that guy. He is always telling people that he takes off his DSC and he lives in the woods with an out house instead of the toilet he has no running hot water I think he just likes to get everyone's goat I have learned over the past couple of months reading his posts that I think he is full of it and just like to have everyone argue with him for the sake of arguing. Disregard him.

I would be understanding if 5.75 in US dollars was 8.75 or the equivalent in Euros for a bottle of beer on a cruise but if I'm not mistaken, it still about 5.75 but in Euros - so what exactly is being saved over there in tips?

$5.75 is the equivalent of £3.66 in British pounds and 4.62 Euros.

The average price for a pint of beer is £3.00.....and more in larger cities like London and Manchester, so not a real lot being saved. And in restaurants, drinks are even MORE expensive, so it often can be cheaper on the ship! :)

You have to understand that guy. He is always telling people that he takes off his DSC and he lives in the woods with an out house instead of the toilet he has no running hot water I think he just likes to get everyone's goat I have learned over the past couple of months reading his posts that I think he is full of it and just like to have everyone argue with him for the sake of arguing. Disregard him.

I'm of the opinion that he travels nowhere, let alone a cruise...