Suite Question for JimandStan ...or

travelingduo

We are booked on the Riviera in Suite 12017 this coming year, but now we are booking another Oceania Suite for a 2016 T/A on the Marina (New York to Lisbon) and 11080 and 11083 are available. Having read your previous threads, we are leaning toward the aft suite as we love the aft view. Our only concern is would this still be a good choice for a T/A given that the seas are unpredictable? The only other Oceania Suite open is 12006 (which is quite forward). We have sailed in the Owners Suite on the Regatta and did not like the constant vibration and jarring movement, but we know the Marina is a larger ship. Thanks to anyone with an opinion!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were in 11083 on a transatlantic (BCN-Rio) a year ago. There were a couple of days with rough-ish seas, but we didn't seem to feel the motion more than other parts of the ship. (I am one who is sensitive to motion but my husband is not.)

Loved the aft view and the extra large veranda.

One drawback was the incredible noise from the engines when we were pulling out of port.

Mura

Thanks, Mura. Your experience is really helpful! Les

I'm happy to help when I can. I do have an afterthought ...

The rough seas we had were such that we got both pitch and yawl, or whatever the other direction is called! (I'm sure Hawaiidan will help me out if I'm wrong, which I'm sure to be.)

Anyway, this was pretty much occurred overnight and getting pulled in both directions WAS uncomfortable. I didn't get seasick with this (much to my surprise), but my DH who should have been a sailor complained because it was difficult to sleep with all the forwards and sideways motion.

Mura

I also would be interested in comments from anyone who has sailed in the OC suites that are way forward on Deck 12 (such as 12006 or 12008). Did you experience a lot of motion in rough seas?

I've been in 12008, yes, in rough seas there is a bit of motion. It doesn't really bother us but someone that is sensitive to movement will definitely notice it.

We are booked on the Riviera in Suite 12017 this coming year, but now we are booking another Oceania Suite for a 2016 T/A on the Marina (New York to Lisbon) and 11080 and 11083 are available. Having read your previous threads, we are leaning toward the aft suite as we love the aft view. Our only concern is would this still be a good choice for a T/A given that the seas are unpredictable? The only other Oceania Suite open is 12006 (which is quite forward). We have sailed in the Owners Suite on the Regatta and did not like the constant vibration and jarring movement, but we know the Marina is a larger ship. Thanks to anyone with an opinion!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

To begin with, we found the Marina & Riviera to be ultimately more stable at sea than the R class ships.

You will notice some engine vibration in the aft Oceania Suites, but at a level where it becomes second nature after a few days.

b_210818.jpg

For us, the big advantage of the Deck 12 Oceania Suites, is their proximity to the pool deck, but that might not be a draw on a Transatlantic.

b_022317.jpg

All things being equal, I'd opt for the stern Suite with the once in a lifetime views.....even the bathroom has a view!

b_032433.jpgb_101250.jpg

What about noise overhead from the Terrace Cafe??

We were in 11080 on a British isles cruise a couple of years ago on the Marina ,and, yes, there was noise from the terrace cafe above.

Every morning at 6:00A.M. They slid the chairs across the terrace floor. I went up and complained while they were doing this procedure and demonstrated to them how they could pick up the chairs to move them. However the next morning the same noise occurred. I then complained to the general manager,and the noise did stop ..although the reason more likely was that the weather was so bad , that they no longer used the outside terrace.

On the other hand , the suite is beautiful, and the views from the balcony are fantastic.

Richard

From what I've seen in video, pictures and drawings, this schematic just doesn't look like an Oceania Suite. Is there a difference between the forward and aft O suites?

There are a great many differences between the Deck 12 Oceania Suites and the Deck 11 Oceania Suites:

A) The Aft Suites have HUGE L shaped verandas (fully 3x as large as the Deck 12 Verandas)

B) The Guest baths in the aft Suites are half baths, versus full second bathrooms in the Deck 12 Suites.

C) The cabin area of the Deck 12 Suites is slightly larger than the Deck 11 Suites.

D) The Aft Suites have large, floor to ceiling Bay Windows in their living Rooms, the equivalent space in the Deck 12 Suites is a sliding glass door.

E) There is a sliding glass door giving access from the Bedroom to the Veranda in the Deck 12 Suites, the Aft Suites have a fixed light window there, instead.

F) There is no natural light in the master bathrooms of the Deck 12 Suites, in the Aft Suites, there is a very oversized porthole in the master bath.

b_132006.jpg

The plan above corresponds most closely to 11083; the plan for 11080 would be the mirror image

b_153905.jpg

Edited by StanandJim

Thanks for your help. We booked 11083 this morning! We will be in 12017 this coming year, so we will have both experiences. It is great that we can always depend on CC to help. And thanks StanandJim for your extra detailed information. It really made a difference for us. Les