Captain Club Upgrade Denied

Cbns

It's not an automatic thing. When we were booking onboard, we got a C3 to C2 upgrade, but I overheard the loyalty ambassador next to me telling her client that the upgrade wasn't available for his cruise.

We also just booked a S2 and tried to get them to upgrade it to an S1 because we liked the location better. And were told that wasn't available.

True

1- You have to ask for it... No one usually offers it to you.

2- it is not available for all cruises (ie Special Events, Special Sell Offs, Holiday Cruises etc) one has to read the fine print

3- Not available in some classes... Most notably any Suites or C2s to C1s (but there some others as well)

Again all of this is outlined in the fine print... Which is I believe found on the Celebrity's Captain's Club Pg

Cheers!

My take is it is not allowed as they kept the same reservation number in order to keep the on board booking perks.

The upgrade must be requested at the time of booking. As they booked prior, they changed the reservation and therefore upgrade with the new class of cabin was not requested during the initial booking of the changed reservation, as the reservation as booked previously, when hey were able to take advantage of the upgrade within concierge class cabins.

Another possibility is as the benefit is capacity controlled, possibly the cruise has reached its capacity for allowed captain clubs same class upgrades, although there may still be canons left in both categories, the number of allowed upgraded cabins has already been reached.

We booked a C2 at the C3 price on ship last week, for our Nov 2015 cruise, got home and a TA had a better 'GROUP DEAL' on an A2 than we got on the C2. We cancelled the booking, and know that the Visa will get tagged for the $300 up front OBC we got.

We were told up front that in booking with the group the TA would not honor the 1 cat upgrade, because they had no A1's in the group, and if we cancelled there would be a fee from the agent.

I also could not get a one category upgrade from a TA for the same reason. Booked anyway, as the savings in the rate and extra perks more than made up for it.

Edited by phoenix_dream

Just another point of clarification. When I booked on board the offer was for a beverage package, an OBC and the in category upgrade. The reservation number is still the same. The onlyhic is that they are not allowing the in category upgrade

Just another point of clarification. When I booked on board the offer was for a beverage package, an OBC and the in category upgrade. The reservation number is still the same. The onlyhic is that they are not allowing the in category upgrade

So that's the issue here.

Since reservation number is the same, you can't get an upgrade after the moment in time the reservation number was assigned, that was when you initially booked, and got the C3 to C2.

If you cancelled outright today, you likely could book a brand new reservation, and get the A2 to A1 upgrade, though you may not have all the other perks you have, as it would be a brand new reservation.

There are a very limited number of A1 cabins, but a bunch of A2. Hence most TA's will not put any in their group due to the cost. This is a TA problem not Celebrity. If you pay the regular A2 price, not the discounted one offered by the TA, you could prob get it handled. At least that is what our TA said yesterday when we rebooked.

EW

But the OP isn't asking for a free Captains club upgrade from Concierge to aqua. OP has paid now for an aqua cabin, and wants to upgrade it, but as in my other reply, the issue is that he can't upgrade it now, as it had to be done when reservation number was assigned, which is why they were able to do C3 to C2 upgrade THEN.

Since reservation number is the same, you can't get an upgrade after the moment in time the reservation number was assigned, that was when you initially booked, and got the C3 to C2.

If you cancelled outright today, you likely could book a brand new reservation, and get the A2 to A1 upgrade, though you may not have all the other perks you have, as it would be a brand new reservation.

But the OP isn't asking for a free Captains club upgrade from Concierge to aqua. OP has paid now for an aqua cabin, and wants to upgrade it, but as in my other reply, the issue is that he can't upgrade it now, as it had to be done when reservation number was assigned, which is why they were able to do C3 to C2 upgrade THEN.

Agreed

Congratulations CLE-GUY on solving the last all important part of the puzzle...

It all comes down to the OP holding onto the Original Booking Number (their choice)

Cheers!

I moved a booking three times for family matters and the last time I did get the AQ2 to AQ 1 upgrade. Now today, there were new people at my TA and Celebrity and rather than get the rate listed they charged me a residential rate of 100 more and refused to update my address! TA, being new told me to call captains club to change the address on the booking. I think I dialed the wrong number and got a Guatemalan call center. She changed it but it reverted yet again. So...will print luggage tags if they do not make it.

Bottom line...I think there are some new folks and rules can be different on each call.

Edited by hulamoon

Well I thought I would let you know how this all worked out. Thanks to the clip from the Celebrity site that Lsimon provided on their post and the sage advice from Jacoffee to ask again I used the info you so kindly shared and in fact my TA asked again for me and I got the upgrade. So now I have cabin 1552 on the Equinox and I am most happy. Also got to keep my OBC from Celebrity and got all all the goodies from the TA huge sale. So thanks to all for your help. Also would like to wish our American readers a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Well I thought I would let you know how this all worked out. Thanks to the clip from the Celebrity site that Lsimon provided on their post and the sage advice from Jacoffee to ask again I used the info you so kindly shared and in fact my TA asked again for me and I got the upgrade. So now I have cabin 1552 on the Equinox and I am most happy. Also got to keep my OBC from Celebrity and got all all the goodies from the TA huge sale. So thanks to all for your help. Also would like to wish our American readers a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Congratulations and thank you for the follow-up.

Enjoy your cruise.