Ocean Princess has been sold - joining the Oceania fleet as the Sirena

kazu

It is worth remembering that Prinsendam came to HAL through Seabourn. HAL did not get her direct from Royal Viking.

I may have not known that, or it slipped my mind. Ocean Princess is so much more decrepit than Prinsendam. The Norway looked better!! Here's hoping a company will buy P if HAL doesn't want to invest in her. I have a lot of hope now that OP has been bought. Of course, Oceania probably likes that she is similar to their other R ships.

I may have not known that, or it slipped my mind. Ocean Princess is so much more decrepit than Prinsendam. The Norway looked better!! Here's hoping a company will buy P if HAL doesn't want to invest in her. I have a lot of hope now that OP has been bought. Of course, Oceania probably likes that she is similar to their other R ships.

OP has definitely been bought Linda and they Oceania is putting a lot of dollars into her. I can't remember the amount and it is probably in the link I gave originally but on the Oceania board they are saying something like $40KB

that's a lot of money!

It is worth remembering that Prinsendam came to HAL through Seabourn. HAL did not get her direct from Royal Viking.

and that's what makes the Prinsendam special:D She's not your typical build from HAL and one of the reasons we love her;)

Then you would LOVE Prinsendam. We had decent cruise on OP in Greece, but the ship doesn't compare. Who knows....maybe Prinsendam will go to another decent line when the time comes. This gives me hope! She is too nice to be put in the asian or other markets.

We have sailed the Elegant Explorer, and, relative to the times we sailed each, we preferred OP over Prinsendam, in terms of the ships. We found the crews to be very similar in service (both very, very good!) Sorry to hear that OP may have fallen victim to neglect by Princess, which seems odd of them.

We have sailed the Elegant Explorer, and, relative to the times we sailed each, we preferred OP over Prinsendam, in terms of the ships. We found the crews to be very similar in service (both very, very good!) Sorry to hear that OP may have fallen victim to neglect by Princess, which seems odd of them.

That is very odd, but for whatever reason, people have their preferences!! I actually liked sailing on the original Noordam, another ship that people were critical of. Just for general information here, Ocean Princess is not and has never been in the same class as Prinsendam. You may have enjoyed your sailing, but I don't think you will find many who would agree with you. Just sayin'!! She was in major need of a refurbishment. The dining room and public areas were worn and shoddy. Her narrow stairwells had layers and layers of horrible paint! They probably knew she was on her last legs, thus choosing to sell her instead of spending money. We sailed her 3 years ago. We enjoyed seeing her in Rosyth, Scotland in August. She looked small next to Prinsendam. I am not saying I didn't enjoy our trip on her, but she was not in the same class as Prinsendam, thus she didn't command much of a price.

Just out of curiousity, what did you feel set her apart from Prinsendam. And, how many years ago was this?

That is very odd, but for whatever reason, people have their preferences!! I actually liked sailing on the original Noordam, another ship that people were critical of. Just for general information here, Ocean Princess is not and has never been in the same class as Prinsendam. You may have enjoyed your sailing, but I don't think you will find many who would agree with you. Just sayin'!! She was in major need of a refurbishment. The dining room and public areas were worn and shoddy. Her narrow stairwells had layers and layers of horrible paint! They probably knew she was on her last legs, thus choosing to sell her instead of spending money. We sailed her 3 years ago. We enjoyed seeing her in Rosyth, Scotland in August. She looked small next to Prinsendam. I am not saying I didn't enjoy our trip on her, but she was not in the same class as Prinsendam, thus she didn't command much of a price.

Just out of curiousity, what did you feel set her apart from Prinsendam. And, how many years ago was this?

Linda, not 0bnxshs, but we had the pleasure of cruising with them on the Prinsendam in May/June 2013 on our 'Witches & Wizard" cruise. 0bnxshs was the wizard:D

Linda, not 0bnxshs, but we had the pleasure of cruising with them on the Prinsendam in May/June 2013 on our 'Witches & Wizard" cruise. 0bnxshs was the wizard:D

Interesting.....what I have found is that men are more critical of Prinsendam. I guess they are looking for and seeing something different than a woman. I am quite sure DH doesn't love P the way I do. I was quite critical of our last cruise on Regent....because I didn't think it was worth the price. I would guess your friend feels the same about P.

Interesting.....what I have found is that men are more critical of Prinsendam. I guess they are looking for and seeing something different than a woman. I am quite sure DH doesn't love P the way I do. I was quite critical of our last cruise on Regent....because I didn't think it was worth the price. I would guess your friend feels the same about P.

Well, I feel bad for speaking for him, but he liked the ship and when we got off he said this ship grows on you.

The fact that he likes something better is no biggee to me.

Same thing with maygrovecruisers. Her first time on a HAL ship. She put the Prinsendam above Azamara and a bit below Oceania. Not bad company to be in

The Oceania board is excited about the new ship. They know the $$$ will be put in to refurbish her. they are critical of her current condition, but know the work will be done. I think O passengers have high standards :D

Gosh LindaM we sailed on OP for 51 days earlier this year and I certainly would not say she was decrepit! In fact our balcony room had new curtains and soft furnishings and the settee had obviously been recently re-covered. There was no doubt some rust patches on our balcony railings but nothing that bothered us. We do confess to being a fan of the R class ships though but I honestly didn't see anything that caused me to think she was on her way downhill. Perhaps she had had a bit of a spruce up between when you were last on her and our sailing earlier this year. :D

<SNIP>

Hi LindaM. :) As Jacqui has mentioned (thanks, Jacqui! :)) we were on Prinsendam for a month in May and June of 2013. Our cabin (176), a verandah near the spa, was in poor condition with rotted wood work under the refrigerator (reported to, viewed by and ignored by the crew, although short of removing the cabinet there was little to do), very worn cushions on the inside, worn chairs on the verandah and loose slider for the bathroom. We felt the ship a bit confined-feeling and, just in general are not fond of light wood colors. We absolutely loved the crew and all our CC friends, the itinerary and were "home sick" for the ship when leaving.

We sailed Ocean Princess in June and July of 2012 with a very good group of CC friends. We loved the itinerary of this cruise too. We loved the dark rich colors of the woodwork, the red colors of the carpeting, felt the ship a bit better arranged than Prinsendam and the small ship feel with a smaller passenger load. We had no trouble at all with the staircases and never thought of them being narrow. We loved the crew here too. Our cabin was in excellent condition, there was no shabby furniture or ugly paint jobs that we noticed.

Of course, we all like different things (thank goodness!!). We all see and are critical of different things. Actually, my DW was more critical of Prinsendam (as she existed when we were on her) than Ocean Princess (as she existed when we were on her.) We very much enjoyed both cruises and both ships. We are sorry to hear that Ocean Princess is in such poor condition now, but feel the same about Prinsendam when we hear her condition isn't what others expect. :)

Good to see they didn't change the library! Love that room.

I'm happy OP is going to Oceania, and they will have to pour big, big bucks into her to bring her from a 4* to a 5 1/2*, that's for sure.

Just love those R-ships, having sailed on Azamara's two, as well as two of Oceanias.

Here is the library on the OP. Not too shabby IMHO.[ATTACH]332633[/ATTACH] BTW, this is the first time I have attached a picture to a reply; hope it works.

All the R-ships have a similar library ...we love the Oceania ships

The OP will re-join it's sisters in 2016

Lyn

Good job on the photo

Hi LindaM. :) As Jacqui has mentioned (thanks, Jacqui! :)) we were on Prinsendam for a month in May and June of 2013. Our cabin (176), a verandah near the spa, was in poor condition with rotted wood work under the refrigerator (reported to, viewed by and ignored by the crew, although short of removing the cabinet there was little to do), very worn cushions on the inside, worn chairs on the verandah and loose slider for the bathroom. We felt the ship a bit confined-feeling and, just in general are not fond of light wood colors. We absolutely loved the crew and all our CC friends, the itinerary and were "home sick" for the ship when leaving.

We sailed Ocean Princess in June and July of 2012 with a very good group of CC friends. We loved the itinerary of this cruise too. We loved the dark rich colors of the woodwork, the red colors of the carpeting, felt the ship a bit better arranged than Prinsendam and the small ship feel with a smaller passenger load. We had no trouble at all with the staircases and never thought of them being narrow. We loved the crew here too. Our cabin was in excellent condition, there was no shabby furniture or ugly paint jobs that we noticed.

Of course, we all like different things (thank goodness!!). We all see and are critical of different things. Actually, my DW was more critical of Prinsendam (as she existed when we were on her) than Ocean Princess (as she existed when we were on her.) We very much enjoyed both cruises and both ships. We are sorry to hear that Ocean Princess is in such poor condition now, but feel the same about Prinsendam when we hear her condition isn't what others expect. :)

Our cabin 158 was in bad shape as well. I don't know how long HAL can go on without repairing cabins. I do not remember anything good or bad about our verandah cabin on OP. I posted about our beat up and and banged up Prinsendam cabin in July---I didn't hold anything back. I think you are right...we are all critical of different things. Someone said they posted a picture of the OP library...I thought it was shabby and worn as well. But, that person thought it was beautiful. One thing we know for sure, OP will be beautiful after Oceania is done.

We did b-t-b cruises on Ocean Princess in 2008 in the South Pacific when she was Tahitiian Princess and really enjoyed those cruises. The small ships are perfectly suited to sailings in the islands and don't overwhelm the smaller ports. At that time we thought the ship was lovely and felt the same way when we sailed her sister ship, Azamara Journey.

I'm glad she is going to Oceania where she will be restored and appreciated. I would gladly sail the R-class ships more often if economics permitted. I still have sailing Prinsendam on my bucket list. Almost made it a few years ago. We booked, HAL canceled.

The more I sail larger ships, the more I appreciate smaller ships.

We did b-t-b cruises on Ocean Princess in 2008 in the South Pacific when she was Tahitiian Princess and really enjoyed those cruises. The small ships are perfectly suited to sailings in the islands and don't overwhelm the smaller ports. At that time we thought the ship was lovely and felt the same way when we sailed her sister ship, Azamara Journey.

I'm glad she is going to Oceania where she will be restored and appreciated. I would gladly sail the R-class ships more often if economics permitted. I still have sailing Prinsendam on my bucket list. Almost made it a few years ago. We booked, HAL canceled.

The more I sail larger ships, the more I appreciate smaller ships.

the bolding is mine and I couldn't agree more.

Our cabins on the P'dam have been in great shape btw. I was looking at Ocean Princess so very happy she is going to be well cared for.

We did not care for Pdam in July, I love cruise ships but this one left me underwhelmed and disappointed. Musty smell in our cabin and at least two public areas, rotting wood floors and doorways on outside decks. Very much of a plain jane decor. Hundreds of port plaques on walls instead of artwork. Lacking in creature comforts with no padded chairs poolside and rusting loungers on promenade deck. Menus and food were standard for the line,good but nothing special. No table service in lido. I am befuddled when the regulars rave about it. But I am not alone. Go to the cruise critic member review section and the prinsendam ranks at the bottom or near bottom for holland America ships.

We did not care for Pdam in July, I love cruise ships but this one left me underwhelmed and disappointed. Musty smell in our cabin and at least two public areas, rotting wood floors and doorways on outside decks. Very much of a plain jane decor. Hundreds of port plaques on walls instead of artwork. Lacking in creature comforts with no padded chairs poolside and rusting loungers on promenade deck. Menus and food were standard for the line,good but nothing special. No table service in lido. I am befuddled when the regulars rave about it. But I am not alone. Go to the cruise critic member review section and the prinsendam ranks at the bottom or near bottom for holland America ships.

Then how do you explain that she has the highest repeater rate of the fleet? Most people only post when they aren't happy. I have never posted when I 've loved a ship. But, I am sure to report my complaints---that is human nature. Personally, I don't need artwork on a ship. It's a ship--not a floating hotel! I don't notice the carpeting colors. I do notice if the seating in the public rooms and dining rooms are worn and shabby. I was disappointed in our cabin. Hal is going to have to make a decision, because no one is going to want to pay the premium price she commands for a shabby verandah cabin. Princess doesn't have table service in the Lido as well. I don't know what ships do, except for premium lines.

Interesting how Oceania, through its new owner NCL, is taking an opposite approach to HAL: adding a small (684 passenger) ship to their fleet rather than selling 2 somewhat-small ships (Ryndam and Statendam) and building a behemoth.

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like they are carving out a niche position for themselves.

Then how do you explain that she has the highest repeater rate of the fleet? Most people only post when they aren't happy. I have never posted when I 've loved a ship. But, I am sure to report my complaints---that is human nature. Personally, I don't need artwork on a ship. It's a ship--not a floating hotel! I don't notice the carpeting colors. I do notice if the seating in the public rooms and dining rooms are worn and shabby. I was disappointed in our cabin. Hal is going to have to make a decision, because no one is going to want to pay the premium price she commands for a shabby verandah cabin. Princess doesn't have table service in the Lido as well. I don't know what ships do, except for premium lines.

Princess most certainly has service teams assigned to their Horizon Court, serving beverages and generally assisting. They have service personnel in every section of the Lido, you sit down and within a minute or two someone approaches with beverage offers. They even go to the nearest bar to get soft drinks from the all you can drink package.

We had 14 days on the Prinsendam in July, I did not see a single tableside crew member other than the guy picking up dirty dishes. To me this is a big deal, why am I paying a premium price. Where is the extra service, extra amenities? Our crew was great but they are great on most cruise ships. Our room steward cleaned morning and evening, just like on other ships. We had very good service in the dining room when we entered before 5:30. We would be one of the first seated in a section. If we arrived after 6pm the service was good but overall no better or worse than other HAL ships.

I have no idea about repeat passenger rates. The cruise critic member review section seems like a cross section of viewpoints. I did not post a review but if I had it would be negative, especially for the price paid.

I have read Prinsendam has the highest profit margin in the line and I quickly figured out why. I did not see the value added component.

I have no axe to grind with HAL, we are three star loyal customers. But whenever I see posts from a couple regulars raving about the Prinsendam I must offer an opposing viewpoint. Shop around, for a few bucks more there are premium lines like Oceania that blow away the Prinsendam.

Princess most certainly has service teams assigned to their Horizon Court, serving beverages and generally assisting. They have service personnel in every section of the Lido, you sit down and within a minute or two someone approaches with beverage offers. They even go to the nearest bar to get soft drinks from the all you can drink package.

We had 14 days on the Prinsendam in July, I did not see a single tableside crew member other than the guy picking up dirty dishes. To me this is a big deal, why am I paying a premium price. Where is the extra service, extra amenities? Our crew was great but they are great on most cruise ships. Our room steward cleaned morning and evening, just like on other ships. We had very good service in the dining room when we entered before 5:30. We would be one of the first seated in a section. If we arrived after 6pm the service was good but overall no better or worse than other HAL ships.

I have no idea about repeat passenger rates. The cruise critic member review section seems like a cross section of viewpoints. I did not post a review but if I had it would be negative, especially for the price paid.

I have read Prinsendam has the highest profit margin in the line and I quickly figured out why. I did not see the value added component.

I have no axe to grind with HAL, we are three star loyal customers. But whenever I see posts from a couple regulars raving about the Prinsendam I must offer an opposing viewpoint. Shop around, for a few bucks more there are premium lines like Oceania that blow away the Prinsendam.

No worries sammie - we all have different experiences. We shouldn't but we do. We did have table service in the Lido, every day. Very good service too by the way including breakfast and coffee. Barely sat down at lunch and there was bar service.

We had no complaints and were very happy, but those are our experiences.

FWIW we will be doing Oceania in November and one can't help but compare. Stay tuned.

We had immediate service in the Lido as well as Jacqui. I can compare Prinsendam to Regent, on which we have cruised twice. I complained about the service on Regent and the food!! Food is subjective so that is irrelevant. Regent and Oceania were owned by the same company...and now I believe NCL. Regent is supposedly superior to Oceania. And, I was able to be disappointed like you were on P. I'm sure we would like Oceania...I just don't like those Renaissance ships. They feel confining to me, the way Prinsendam feels to another poster. We all like something different. I can ignore the stateroom issues, because I like everything else. (However, if our SY is in bad shape, I could be singing a different tune.) I think that having the highest repeater rate means a lot. Although, if they let the staterooms deteriorate, they could lose passengers.

Shop around, for a few bucks more there are premium lines like Oceania that blow away the Prinsendam.

I've sailed on Oceania. I would much prefer to return to the Prinsendam than Oceania.

That line is highly overrated, especially as compared to Prinsendam.

I've sailed on Oceania. I would much prefer to return to the Prinsendam than Oceania.

That line is highly overrated, especially as compared to Prinsendam.

Thanks for your two cents, Ruth!! That is why I "rambled" about comparing her to Regent. If I judged Prinsendam on two cabins (in need of work), I might be more negative. But, her public rooms and service, along with the food are up there.

I don't know why Sammie didn't get service. The servers are quite intuitive...perhaps he gave off negative vibes!! They liked us!