What type of Coat?

Sheaboys

I am looking to purchase a jacket, waterproof of course. I really don't want to go with the 3 in 1, as that is like my ski jacket which is bulky.

So from what I keep reading, you want to layer. Ideally if I could get a jacket that is waterproof with a zip out fleece that would work, as long as not bulky. I don't own a fleece zip up yet.

Do I just get a rain coat something like Gortex, and then get a fleece for under it?

I am wondering what other women have worn on their Alaskan Cruise. We are going May 30th, with a 6 night land tour following the cruise.

Don't buy anything that you'll never wear again.

I live in the Pacific NW ... it's not that cold here but usually raining. As a result I have a lightweight hooded waterproof jacket. When I go to Alaska I wear the jacket with a longsleeve T and sweatshirt underneath. If it's not cold and raining, I'll wear a fleece pullover or a longsleeve T with a vest.

I always have a TOTES rain poncho in my daypack. It's great unless it's windy!

(If you're worried about wearing too many layers to combat the cold, buy thermal underwear for your first layer.)

I'm cruising to Alaska next June. Following the advice from these boards, I bought a light weight rain coat from LL Bean. I live in Florida, so I wanted something unlined and packable. The jacket was a little pricey, but I'm a teacher and have car duty, so with our afternoon thunderstorms this jacket will get a lot of use. It's called the Trail Model jacket. I wore it today and it kept me nice and dry. I plan to wear long sleeve tshirts and fleece sweatshirts under it in Alaska.

Edited by teachatthebeach

We're also headed to Alaska in May, going on the Grand on the 30th with a 6-day land tour prior to the cruise. Purchased really nice waterproof lightweight zip-up jackets from Sierra Trading online. Their prices are amazing and the quality of their items is excellent. I believe the jackets we bought were less than $25. We also purchased pull on rain pants, so we'll be prepared in case it rains. Figured we have a lot of traveling left to do in our lives, and I never want rain to stop us from seeing the world. These items will ensure that :)

My water-proof outer layer is Gortex; this jacket is designed to wear with layers so I can layer a fleece jacket underneath.

If folks don't already own a fleece vest that is the one item of clothing they should consider buying. If Ketchikan is the first port of call the Tongass Trading Company sells fleece vests with a little Alaska embroidered patch on the chest. I've never closely examined one so don't know anything about the quality, but given the number of these vests you will see on the ship they certainly are a popular souvenir.

Home is a hot place. I get cold easily here. In the 40's I wear a short/flat winter waterproof jacket. But, still seems bulky and hoping to luck out with warmer weather in early to 20th of June.

I bought a paradox, unlined water proof hooded jacket. Bought a long john tshirt, several exercise long sleeved shirts, and have a 1/2 zip light fleece. Also bringing my full zip fleece with hood, that's not very heavy but pretty warm.

Think I will be OK?