Nieuw Amsterdam Lido food

mactire

We are going on a two week B2B on the NA in January and there is plenty of talking about the MDR and all that goes with it. We prefer to eat in the Lido and wonder if anyone who has been on the NA can give us their thoughts on the food that is served there and any tips they would like to pass on.

Thanks to all for a great site, which is full of so much information.

We are going on a two week B2B on the NA in January and there is plenty of talking about the MDR and all that goes with it. We prefer to eat in the Lido and wonder if anyone who has been on the NA can give us their thoughts on the food that is served there and any tips they would like to pass on.

Thanks to all for a great site, which is full of so much information.

There is a good selection of food in the Lido. Usually they have some similar offerings in the evening that the MDR does. Some are different.

Breakfast has every offering that you can just about think of.

Lunch offers hot food as well as sandwiches, salads, pizza, etc. Lots to choose from.

Your choice as you wish... don't worry about quality etc. You will be fine. BUT..... don't give up any of the other choices. MDR is fine for sure. I understand not dining very evening in MDR. Sometime it is just a bit more relaxed in the Lido. For choices.... Tamarind... lunch or dinner is the ultimate experience! Even Canaletto... can be fun too. Also Pinnacle. If you have B2B cruises you will have plenty of chances to know Nw AMSTERDAM. A lovely ship!

Stephen

We really enjoyed the Lido on the NA. Actually, the NA has been our favourite ship thus far. Here are some tips that we picked up to help:

1. Read the posted menu before you enter. It will help you decide what you'd like,

2. We bring a couple of magazines from our cabin and lay on a table to secure our table,

3. Start with apps first. These are quick to pick up and while one of us gets those, another picks up water,

4. When we are finished with our apps, we take turns selecting our main courses. That way the other person can relax at the table and we get to dine together and not have one person waiting for the other and having to eat cold food.

5. If we decide on desserts, one grabs them while the other simply picks up coffee.

6. We find the Lido actually a lot less of a hassle than the MDR. It is much more quiet and many of the same meals served in the MDR are also served in the Lido. It has been our experience that service in the MDR is hit or miss, as is the quality of the food. This, unfortunately, can really sour the MDR experience whereas we have rarely experienced problems in the Lido.

7. If you are able, stay away from the Lido at prime hours. Most people like to eat at the same time so 12 noon is really busy.

8. There is no need to feel rushed at the Lido. Take your time and enjoy your meal. There will be attendants clearing your table for you and some will offer to get you a beverage (soda, alcohol).

9. I have regularly seen attendants helping passengers with mobility issues.

The crew of the NA (and HAL) have been raised to respect their elders. Now if you are a grouch, oh well.....

Menus are posted for breakfast, lunch and dinner ahead of time (3 pm for dinner) and you can start salivating early! The Tamarind's menu is the same for dinner everyday but one should give it a try. The staff at this spot is totally wonderful. We will be on the NA in Dec. so we can evaluate the Lido food. We always can find something we like but if one finds something they don't like, substitution is easy.

I have already mapped out where we will eat breakfast and dinner each day. In the suites there will be dinner menus for suite passengers. You can also get room service for dining room food if you order it during dining hours. Otherwise there is a menu for room service in your room.

We are just off the NA and ate breakfast once and lunch twice in the Lido. Choices were plentiful and tasty. It was easy to secure a table. As the above poster suggested I would try to avoid it at peak hours.

Have a great cruise the ship is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you ever tried Saga?

Lido is open for breakfast and luncheon as self serve.... as usual. The difference is that in evening the table set up just the same as the MDR. Menus, waiters the lot. Best of all, any for coming is ten feet away from the galley to your table... five seconds! Almost 50% of the passengers will opt for the lido. Mind.... only 450 passengers on the ship.

I know some friends who will be on board Nw AMSTERDAM on your cruise... will make sure they say hello!

Stephen

Love the Lido food. Many choices for breakfast and lunch and everything is very good. The servers are very accommodating and make your breakfast food to order. Just check the different stations before you get into line. Only problem is finding a table and standing in line and making separate trips for beverages, dessert, etc. I prefer the MDR for dinner (not as hectic) based on those facts, though I never had dinner in the Lido.

I took my first cruise on an RCI ship this year. Their buffet was awful compared to HAL. I have found the buffet on HAL ships to be consistently good. I love breakfast at the Lido and my favourites are the Eggs Benedict and fresh-made waffles with fruits and whipped cream. There are all kinds of breads and they are very fresh, with cheeses, jams, etc. They also cater to their European clientele with salmon, other cold fish, luncheon meats, etc. Of course, there are the American favourites of eggs (perfect over-easy), bacon, grits, etc. Lunch is also excellent and I find that the salad bar is much better than the salads served in the MDR. There are times, usually after spending the day snorkelling or scuba dividing, I don't feel like eating in MDR and I will go to the Lido for dinner. Many of the meats, appetizers, and desserts that are served in the MDR, can also be found in the Lido. What I love about the HAL Lido is the variety of food; there is something for everyone's taste no matter what part of the world you come from. I will be on the two cruises before yours. You will love the NA and its crew.

On a port-intensive cruise, our days are very full, so we also eat most dinners in the Lido. One item that is not served there is chilled soup. If one is being served in the MDR that I really like, I will order it from room service prior to dinner.

Agree with the other poster who advised about making it clear that your table is taken.

We have enjoyed eating in the Lido and found the food delicious. The only issue this summer on the NA is that a few of the workers were new and sometimes unaware of gravies or sauces for the meat, etc., and gave very large portion sizes; it took a while to go through the line (but still much quicker than eating in the MDR). But for our experiences over the years, that was the exception, not the rule.

To me, my favorite meal in the Lido is breakfast! As another poster mentioned, you have a variety of stations (omelettes cooked-to-order, waffles, crepes, eggs benedict, traditional breakfast, int'l breakfast, continental fare, breads, etc,) just about anything you want for breakfast can be found in the Lido.

Enjoy your cruise!