New HAL statement to deny boarding and possible disembarking?

marluvs2go

I understand that HAL just changed their wine policy. However, added to a post I saw was a statement that any violations of the alcohol policy such as trying to conceal it in luggage or bring on in port could result in denied boarding or disembarkation. Is that a new statement? That is pretty scary stuff for folks who always stash rum runners etc. Additonally I cannot find that statement on HALS site. ????thanks

I understand that HAL just changed their wine policy. However, added to a post I saw was a statement that any violations of the alcohol policy such as trying to conceal it in luggage or bring on in port could result in denied boarding or disembarkation. Is that a new statement? That is pretty scary stuff for folks who always stash rum runners etc. Additonally I cannot find that statement on HALS site. ????thanks

I mean, they can certainly say that they will deny boarding for nearly any reason... their ships, their rules and if you break one rule what's to make them think you don't plan on breaking several more... but I would really just go by what's on their WRITTEN policy which on the HAL website is as follows:

Can I Bring Alcoholic Beverages Onboard?

Revised Policy effective 1/31/14

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Updated: 01/30/2014

Edited by InTheWASide

Where did you find "the post"? Was it by HAL? (How about a link so the context may be more clear).

HALs policy allows pax to bring wine on from ports as long as corkage is paid.

Where did you find "the post"? Was it by HAL? (How about a link so the context may be more clear).

I believe that the new policy will not allow wine brought on board at ports and it changes the unlimited wine you can bring on embark day here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886886

Let me know what you think. Lots of folks are complaining...

She found the July '13 post announcing the original planned wine change that was never implemented.

OP, the policy that no liquor may be brought aboard for consumption on board is not new. It has been against the rules right along. Rum runners have always been a violation of that rule.

You can purchase bottles of liquor for in-cabin consumption from room service, or even in advance.

So, what's the problem?

She found the July '13 post announcing the original planned wine change that was never implemented.

OP, the policy that no liquor may be brought aboard for consumption on board is not new. It has been against the rules right along. Rum runners have always been a violation of that rule.

You can purchase bottles of liquor for in-cabin consumption from room service, or even in advance.

So, what's the problem?

Does anyone have the price list of liquor purchased on board for consumption in cabin,thanks. Marlster