Tendering Video at Belize

roger001

Here is about a 5 minute video of the tenders servicing the Sun last week at Belize. It was a bit windy and choppy. My wife, after looking over the edge at the activities, said Belize would be doing without her that day.

If you haven't tendered before, you can see why mother nature can prevent NCL or any cruise line from guaranteeing getting everyone ashore at tendered port stops. The Sun's Captain had already repositioned the ship into calmer waters following an earlier attempt at tendering that he deemed not safe.

Also....actually....the only reason I've posted this video is because I just now figured out how to stitch .mov files together.

Oh...I might add, the ride to shore is about 20 minutes at Belize. I'm guessing there might have been a few sick folks on the tenders that day.

Edited by roger001

What amazed me was that none of the crew were wearing life vests:eek:

If you look at the NCL crew they were, thats the rule. The tender is a local boat, the sea is really not rough at all, a little windy that was about it

Hmm...that could be a problem.

Anyone know if, even if they don't cancel tenders, if you can cancel your (ship sponsered) shore excursion if you decide you can't handle it? Obviously canceling prior to the start time of the excursion. My DH would NOT do well on a small boat like that in those swells.

I was on this cruise! I was surprised they even tendered based on the rough seas (we ended up tendering almost 2 hours late). The tender ride actually wasn't too bad--but I was still glad I took a Bonine beforehand :)

Thanks for the video.

I would think that was actually a pretty calm tendering experience. I don't see how the waters could be much smother on the "open ocean". Something for people to consider when going to a tender port. If you can't do a "small boat" (those looked average if not a little bigger than average to me) or the little bit of chop that is pretty normal, then perhaps you need to consider a head of time if you want to do a tender port.

Something for people to consider when going to a tender port. If you can't do a "small boat" (those looked average if not a little bigger than average to me) or the little bit of chop that is pretty normal, then perhaps you need to consider a head of time if you want to do a tender port.

Exactly what I am doing. :) This is our first cruise so everything is new to us.

I was on this cruise! I was surprised they even tendered based on the rough seas (we ended up tendering almost 2 hours late). The tender ride actually wasn't too bad--but I was still glad I took a Bonine beforehand :)

What happens to shore excursions when they tender late? Do you still go but it is shortened? Or do they cancel/can you cancel?

We've done Belize about 6 time now I think, and this is about as calm as it gets! It appears pretty windy, but the seas are about normal. These tenders are not as small as they appear. Most will hold about 100 people. It is a long tender ride, but unless it is very hot, the ride is fine. We've never noticed anyone getting seasick on the tender.

Thanks for the video.

I would think that was actually a pretty calm tendering experience. I don't see how the waters could be much smother on the "open ocean". Something for people to consider when going to a tender port. If you can't do a "small boat" (those looked average if not a little bigger than average to me) or the little bit of chop that is pretty normal, then perhaps you need to consider a head of time if you want to do a tender port.

Ditto

If anyone thinks this is close to being rough you better rethink taking a cruise LOL

The sea's are almost flat, a little rolling and a little wind........thats a good day on my boat

Edited by Laszlo

Ditto

If anyone thinks this is close to being rough you better rethink taking a cruise LOL

The sea's are almost flat, a little rolling and a little wind........thats a good day on my boat

I think that the perception of windy and choppy is one of those "in the eyes of the beholder" kinda things. As mentioned, tendering was two hours late beginning because the ship had to pull up anchor and relocate. Then, before tendering began, the Capt. (or a bridge officer) did make an announcement, which to paraphrase was, "we're going to begin operating the tenders now. However, the sea conditions today are very choppy and windy. And the ride to shore is approximately 25 minutes each way. Be aware that the tender ride will be bumpy. If you elect to go ashore, please use extra caution boarding the tenders." Some "old salts" don't' mind that at all. However, some, like my wife, or persons with agility issues, that day was not for them. Point being, when the ships tender, no guarantee that you'll want to ride one of them...or that they can even operate that day.

Actually, the point of the video was just me finally figuring out how to "stitch" film clips. It's a high tech world!!