Very International Population on the Odyssey - Typical Experience?

MalibuCA

We are currently enjoying our first Seabourn cruise! We are cruising Indonesia on the Odyssey. We are very experienced cruisers having cruised mostly Crystal along with Regent and Oceania in the past. We are impressed with how international the passengers are. Where we have found other cruise lines to have a substantial American passenger list, there are only about 85 Americans out of about 450 guests. There are many European passengers, including citizens from Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and Great Britain. There are also quite a few Canadians and Australians. A very interesting and unique mix in our experience. Does Seabourn ordinarily draw large numbers of passengers from around the world with smaller numbers of Americans, or is this influenced by the itinerary destinations? In your experience, where do most passengers on Seabourn come from? Why do you think Seabourn draws passengers from so many different countries? Thought it an interesting question.

Thanks,

Shelley

Pleased to hear you are enjoying the cruise. Usually there would be a higher proportion of Americans than you have on board - could be they like to be with family at Thanksgiving? - but certainly on our recent Seabourn cruises there have been often 50% other nationalities, mostly the ones you mention. As to why; once you have cruised Seabourn you appreciate the many different nationalities of the staff on board, but obviously this does not apply to newcomers. We ourselves really like the international atmosphere of both staff and passengers. Recently there have been far more Australians in particular, who often combine a cruise in Europe with a land trip.

The only explanation I can think of is that Seabourn may advertise more widely round the world than the other luxury lines? And of course it is IMO the best of the 'small luxury' lines!

In our May cruise through the Med, the Odyssey passenger distribution included 50% British and Aussies, and the remaining 50% accounted for Belgians, Danes, Americans, Russians and others, in that order. It was a delightful mix and we (the only ones from the Caribbean) enjoyed them very much!!

There are definitely fewer Americans on board this week than I've seen on previous Seabourn cruises - and I'm quite okay with that. It seems we've met quite a few of the Americans on board already (although not you yet, Shelley!) and its been a fascinating mix of hometowns, occupations, and interests.

I've found the mix of passengers this first week to be delightful and I'm looking forward to a second week with this convivial mix.

Our experience is that the mix to which you refer is typical for Seabourn in Asia. Seems that some Americans find the distance and cultural variation a bit challenging. The proportions tend to reflect more Americans in Europe etc, but still with a healthy mix of other nationalities. It is the diversity of passengers (by country or origin) that we find a real plus on Seabourn.

In my experience, Brits, Americans and Aussies tend to make up the bulk of the passenger list. Belgians, Swiss and Canadians are also frequent cruisers but not in the numbers of the former. Other nationalities tend to be represented more sporadically.

I have noticed the demographic changing a lot over the past 2 or 3 years or so. It used to be many more US passengers than all the others; recently it has been generally no more than half US at most. Like others, I welcome this - nothing against the USA - but it makes it a more interesting group overall. I even get to practise my French occasionally!

I agree that I also very much appreciate the geographic diversity of the passengers on Seabourn. And while on most of our cruises Americans and Brits ( with Aussies not far behind) usually accounted for 50 percent of the passengers on our June cruise in the Adriatic on the first leg the Belgians had us beat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just arrived home from the Spirit,Barbados to St Martin.

Over 50% Brits followed by North Americans,Australian/NZ,Germans,Swiss and others.Totally different nationality ratio to when we sailed the Pride in March when it was predominantly North Americans.It must certainly be down to Thanksgiving.

I am jealous! Enjoy the diversity! This is very different than my experience on Seabourn. Maybe next time?

Tv24. If you are looking for a more diverse pax mix I suggest you pick an itinerary that, firstly, doesn't start or end in US or Canada, or includes the Caribbean. Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc), Australia, NZ, India, China, Japan and Korea are all different destinations which will attract a broader mix.

Tv24. If you are looking for a more diverse pax mix I suggest you pick an itinerary that, firstly, doesn't start or end in US or Canada, or includes the Caribbean. Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc), Australia, NZ, India, China, Japan and Korea are all different destinations which will attract a broader mix.

thanks for the suggestion. Well my itinerary did start in the US, but it ended in Hong Kong and included Indonesia and Malaysia. Still the pax were 80% from US and UK. Almost no Asians. Oh well.

We have come across very few Asian residents on Seabourn, though quite a few ethnically Asian passengers, mostly from the USA or Canada. What is fairly new is some Russians on our recent cruises. Unfortunately most of them speak no English, which makes life difficult for the staff, and I will refrain from commenting on some of the behaviour we have come across from a few of them.