Quantum's 2 night CTN 11/2014: our likes & dislikes

mizLORInj

So i'm a little late on this but better late than never. :rolleyes:

Here is our easy-to-read list of what we liked and didn't like. Your experience may have been different. :)

Liked:

the cabin design, layout, bathroom, bed, toiletries, storage spaces

the balcony size and furniture: recliners and footstools

nightlight in bathroom

newness!

account on tv, nav channel, menus, our reservations

dining room food was good (Chic and Silk)

variety in Windjammer: lots of int'l foods too

fresh cookies in Windjammer

Solarium area was absolutely awesome

the ship itself is fabulous

gym had good fitness equipment

Tribute bands were very good and entertaining too

Mama Mia

Two70 lounge was beautiful and functional

Decor all around the ship

Outside seating areas all around the ship

Disliked:

Despite having uploaded a photo and input cc info and a SeaPass that said "completed," we still had to go to a check-in desk since our cc did not "take"

tv screen lit up too much at night when tv was off; couldn't figure out how to change it

like other newer ships, you hear too much noise from other cabins

though we were both on one credit card account, we had to call GS to have our accounts combined, and even though charges then showed correctly, the OBC stayed on the person who had $0 charges so another visit to GS to move the OBC (our experience on other cruiselines combine the accounts w/o your asking when one form of payment is used for both guests)

what was up with no liquor sales! first time on any CTN!

RC logo store was way too crowded all the time (ok, they get a pass on this one since it was a short cruise)

frequent empty silverware bins in the Windjammer

took a long time to clear dirty dishes

slower than slow dinner service (our drinks took 45 min. to arrive!)

not enough photo opps (RC: you missed out on a money maker here!)

multiple times I ordered a cocktail that was on the menu and was told they couldn't make that! (what?!) I think the only place that actually had what was on the menu was Silk restaurant

getting off the ship to leave :p

a lot of upcharge things like bar food at Michael's pub ?!?! Other various places that were for additional fee. I know "nickel and diming" is a sore spot with some people when discussing other cruiselines, but it seems RC is joining that trend.

Random observations:

The port has gotten better finally, though it's stupid you have to make a loop around to get into the parking area.

The ship clearly was understaffed to handle the number of people on board, and it showed in the slow service everywhere.

I loved the ship itself and wish it was staying around longer than springtime, but we have another new one on its way, so it's ok. Would I go on it again? Yes indeed. I've found it best not to judge a ship or cruise line by a 2 night cruise. It wasn't perfect, but I was on a beautiful new ship so I was happy. I hope RC is paying attention to what customers are saying and make improvements to offer a superior cruising experience!

Happy cruising everyone!!

Edited by mizlorinj

So i'm a little late on this but better late than never. :rolleyes:

Here is our easy-to-read list of what we liked and didn't like. Your experience may have been different. :)

Liked:

the cabin design, layout, bathroom, bed, toiletries, storage spaces

the balcony size and furniture: recliners and footstools

nightlight in bathroom

newness!

account on tv, nav channel, menus, our reservations

dining room food was good (Chic and Silk)

variety in Windjammer: lots of int'l foods too

fresh cookies in Windjammer

Solarium area was absolutely awesome

the ship itself is fabulous

gym had good fitness equipment

Tribute bands were very good and entertaining too

Mama Mia

Two70 lounge was beautiful and functional

Decor all around the ship

Outside seating areas all around the ship

Disliked:

Despite having uploaded a photo and input cc info and a SeaPass that said "completed," we still had to go to a check-in desk since our cc did not "take"

tv screen lit up too much at night when tv was off; couldn't figure out how to change it

like other newer ships, you hear too much noise from other cabins

though we were both on one credit card account, we had to call GS to have our accounts combined, and even though charges then showed correctly, the OBC stayed on the person who had $0 charges so another visit to GS to move the OBC (our experience on other cruiselines combine the accounts w/o your asking when one form of payment is used for both guests)

what was up with no liquor sales! first time on any CTN!

RC logo store was way too crowded all the time (ok, they get a pass on this one since it was a short cruise)

frequent empty silverware bins in the Windjammer

took a long time to clear dirty dishes

slower than slow dinner service (our drinks took 45 min. to arrive!)

not enough photo opps (RC: you missed out on a money maker here!)

multiple times I ordered a cocktail that was on the menu and was told they couldn't make that! (what?!) I think the only place that actually had what was on the menu was Silk restaurant

getting off the ship to leave :p

a lot of upcharge things like bar food at Michael's pub ?!?! Other various places that were for additional fee. I know "nickel and diming" is a sore spot with some people when discussing other cruiselines, but it seems RC is joining that trend.

Random observations:

The port has gotten better finally, though it's stupid you have to make a loop around to get into the parking area.

The ship clearly was understaffed to handle the number of people on board, and it showed in the slow service everywhere.

I loved the ship itself and wish it was staying around longer than springtime, but we have another new one on its way, so it's ok. Would I go on it again? Yes indeed. I've found it best not to judge a ship or cruise line by a 2 night cruise. It wasn't perfect, but I was on a beautiful new ship so I was happy. I hope RC is paying attention to what customers are saying and make improvements to offer a superior cruising experience!

Happy cruising everyone!!

which 2 nighter were you on????????? there were a least 3 of them....

Not sure I get this one... if the TV was off, how was it producing any light?!

That's our question too. We had turned the tv off, but it had a slight glow--the entire screen. I asked others on our cabin crawl is theirs did this and they said no. We didn't bother trying to figure it out for just a 2 nighter, but if longer I would've asked the cabin steward about it. We prefer to sleep in a dark room, and it just wasn't dark with the tv "glowing."

one other thing:

we did a cabin crawl

another balcony cabin like ours

virtual inside with screen wall was cool--their bathroom was quite large

grand suite--I think it was the size of about 2 cabins--nice

Owners suite--amazing cabin and balcony.

Thanks for your review. I agree with you about not judging a ship by these 2 and 3 night cruises. Too many people are deciding they would never sail on the ship just because of bad experiences on these shake down cruises.

I'm confused---What are shake down cruises????? is that something only seasoned cruisers understand ??

Edited by phish tales

I'm confused---What are shake down cruises????? is that something only seasoned cruisers understand ??

Cruises that are either short or the first after changes that allows the crew to practice with passengers, and stress test systems

in all my cruises, I never heard of such a ridiculous thing. now I heard it all.....

How is it ridiculous? Do you expect these crew to just walk on a ship and be able to cope with 4000+ people?

Do you expect technology to just cope with 4000+ people?

Every business that deals with the public do some kind of stress test and the businesses that don't, generally have problems (read: London Heathrow Terminal 5 baggage problems)

I actually wouldn't consider this cruise a shakedown cruise since we paid top dollar for it. Shakedown should be greatly reduced if not free if crew is going to "practice" on us.

Sent from my XT1096 using Forums mobile app

Or I suppose we could consider it a shakedown cruise because we did pay so much for it! :p

How is it ridiculous? Do you expect these crew to just walk on a ship and be able to cope with 4000+ people?

Every business that deals with the public do some kind of stress test and the businesses that don't, generally have problems (read: London Heathrow Terminal 5 baggage problems)

Like. This is a common business practice today.

Edited by A&L_Ont

If they're charging a premium price for those sailings, YES! If you charge top dollar you should provide top experiences. If you acknowledge that there are some kinks to be worked out and crew training going on, the sailings should be priced appropriately.

If they're charging a premium price for those sailings, YES! If you charge top dollar you should provide top experiences. If you acknowledge that there are some kinks to be worked out and crew training going on, the sailings should be priced appropriately.

In a perfect world you might be correct, but as long as people will pay top dollar to be "first", the cruise line would be silly to discount the fare. Anyone who expects a first, or several early, cruise(s) to be perfect is living in a dream world. Our experience on the two and three day cruises, while not perfect, was far more positive than seems to have been the case for some. My wife's photo on her sea pass didn't take, but the person checking us in took a replacement photo with no problem.

Normally, "shake down" cruises are offered to TA's for either just the port charges (free) or at a substantially reduced rate, ship suppliers (rugs, furniture, etc.), others in the travel industry to promote the ship once they are back at home, etc. Rarely would a cruise line charge the actual rates since gliches are to be expected. Purpose is to give the crew/staff experience with live passengers to see what works and what needs to be tweaked.

MARAPRINCE

in all my cruises, I never heard of such a ridiculous thing. now I heard it all.....

The 2 night 31st October complimentary sailing we were invited to was described to me by the Vice President IT , Jeff ? , as a shakedown cruise. This was after I had a lengthy conversation with him about the problems we had encountered and not knowing what position he had within the company:o. I think he was a little stressed;)

Normally, "shake down" cruises are offered to TA's for either just the port charges (free) or at a substantially reduced rate, ship suppliers (rugs, furniture, etc.), others in the travel industry to promote the ship once they are back at home, etc. Rarely would a cruise line charge the actual rates since gliches are to be expected. Purpose is to give the crew/staff experience with live passengers to see what works and what needs to be tweaked.

MARAPRINCE

But as mentioned before, if people are willing to pay to be the "first people" aboard, then they will continue to do this. These 2/3 nights were offered to journalists but many had previously been on the UK based journalist cruise when not everything was ready.

The 2 night 31st October complimentary sailing we were invited to was described to me by the Vice President IT , Jeff ? , as a shakedown cruise. This was after I had a lengthy conversation with him about the problems we had encountered and not knowing what position he had within the company:o. I think he was a little stressed;)

Great that he got to hear comments first-hand from a passenger!

As many posters have pointed out, this is common industry practice to have "shake down" cruises. Usually though they are done for the travel industry, journalist and even shipyard workers and their families. It's common business practice. Unfortunately the dept. of Education doesn't do this. They blindly introduce new things and they hope and pray it all works...lol (I'm a teacher).

I was on this cruise too and the poster hit everything spot on. I went on knowing there would be a lot of glitches since she was only out for 3 weeks.

Just a suggestion I was thinking since I returned home, Royal could have given something extra for the 2 and 3 night cruises since they knew there would be kinks to work out. Maybe a free soda plan or complimentary internet?

Edited by nycruiser80

But as mentioned before, if people are willing to pay to be the "first people" aboard, then they will continue to do this. These 2/3 nights were offered to journalists but many had previously been on the UK based journalist cruise when not everything was ready.

IMO, this should not have been marketed as a "revenue" sailing. That is where the problem started. Industry people expect everything to not be perfect and they are sailing for all intensive purposes as free guests; paying passengers aren't as tolerant, nor should they be. You want my honest feedback, then be prepared to take the good with the bad since I am a paying passenger. Comp me for what isn't working properly and I'll feel that you actually care about my opinion and will try to make things better going forward. Otherwise, you just come off as greedy and trying to make as much profit as possible to offset startup expenses.

MARAPRINCE