After every cruise I make the same comment....

kathyemma

For the love of all that is Holy - PLEASE let people OFF the elevator BEFORE you try and get on.

Just back from Oasis. Amazing as always. LOVE the new additional outlets in the cabins. LOVE Sabor and Izumi.

Wish the weather on the last day was warmer.

AVOID the Red Stripe Beach day excursion - it was awful. We left as soon as possible. Beach was TINY, music was very loud and the wind was out of control - but the wind was only an issue right by the beach - so not sure if it is like that every day or not.

Any questions? Ask!

Kathy

I'll add "If you CAN walk up one flight, PLEASE TRY IT". My God. It's one thing if you really cannot. But for a family of 6 to get on and push the next floor? Totally get it if you need assistance, if you're in heels (formal nights always excluded), of if you're completely hungover, but you could TRY to climb ONE flight....

I'll add "If you CAN walk up one flight, PLEASE TRY IT". My God. It's one thing if you really cannot. But for a family of 6 to get on and push the next floor? Totally get it if you need assistance, if you're in heels (formal nights always excluded), of if you're completely hungover, but you could TRY to climb ONE flight....

I agree completely. I have a progressive form of Multiple sclerosis and walk with forearm crutches. On our last cruise my wife and I decided to not use the elevators for the length of the cruise. If I can use the stairs, almost anyone can. The best side effect was NOT gaining any weight (my screen name not withstanding I'm actually fairly slim).

My wife took a spill in heels down a flight of stairs this year on Brilliance. Luckily she was not injured and as she put it "no one saw me fall".

I had a kid get on the elevator with his parents and they let him push nearly every button before realizing what he was doing. Oh the urge to smack the back of someone's head......

For the love of all that is Holy - PLEASE let people OFF the elevator BEFORE you try and get on.

Just back from Oasis.

Kathy

Same thing the week before on The Oasis. We were coming up from deck 4 to deck 8. About 10 people on the elevator,we were in the back. Stopped at deck 8 two people started to get off five more came pouring in before anyone could get off, my wife and were stuck in the back. The five people got off at deck 9 so we did too and walked down to deck 8.

We use the stairs always to walk down and after that most of the time to go up.

I come from a small community in North Central Illinois and other then hotels around here there really are not many elevators, but I still understand "Elevator Etiquette" lol.

My wife took a spill in heels down a flight of stairs this year on Brilliance. Luckily she was not injured and as she put it "no one saw me fall".

I had a kid get on the elevator with his parents and they let him push nearly every button before realizing what he was doing. Oh the urge to smack the back of someone's head......

High heals on some of those stairs scare me to death. Glad she didn't get hurt.

Kathy

My pet peeve is when the elevator doors open, and people stand right in front and don't move. We're trying to board the elevator, it has only two people and we can't enter because they don't move to the side and let us enter.

The "Use the Stairs" suggestion works great on some cruises, but if you're in the ocean, it's to turbulent to risk the stairs. You know what I mean, you're walking uphill, then downhill, and they put sea sickness bags in the stairwells at every landing.

I had a couple kids run into me at full-speed on the Oasis a couple weeks ago. They ran onto the elevator as soon as the doors opened, and before I could get off. Their mom was just standing there watching them with a doting smile on her face. I actually said something to the mom about controlling her children before somebody got hurt-- I had seen them several times, and they were always running and totally oblivious to their surroundings or other passengers.

Kathy, did you partake of the Starbuck's on-board. I am trying to get an idea of the the specialty coffee prices?

From my understanding, they take gift cards. I think it would be a good stocking stuffer for my wife this Christmas. Just need to know how much money to load up the card.

Just back from Oasis. Amazing as always. LOVE the new additional outlets in the cabins. LOVE Sabor and Izumi.

AVOID the Red Stripe Beach day excursion - it was awful. We left as soon as possible. Beach was TINY, music was very loud and the wind was out of control - but the wind was only an issue right by the beach - so not sure if it is like that every day or not.

Any questions? Ask!

Kathy

Kathy, did you partake of the Starbuck's on-board. I am trying to get an idea of the the specialty coffee prices?

From my understanding, they take gift cards. I think it would be a good stocking stuffer for my wife this Christmas. Just need to know how much money to load up the card.

Sorry - I am not a coffee drinker.

We had a $15 gift card we used the last morning. We bought one Venti Latte and one Grande Americano. There's $4 and some change left on the card.

Any questions? Ask!

Kathy

I have an upcoming trip on Oasis. Was thinking about the outlets in the room earlier today and trying to plan my needs. What changes did they make?

I had a couple kids run into me at full-speed on the Oasis a couple weeks ago. They ran onto the elevator as soon as the doors opened, and before I could get off. Their mom was just standing there watching them with a doting smile on her face. I actually said something to the mom about controlling her children before somebody got hurt-- I had seen them several times, and they were always running and totally oblivious to their surroundings or other passengers.

That's why I only taught school a year and went into our family owned business. LOL. Thought you would get a kick out of that Cindy. Gerry

The Thanksgiving Oasis may have had 2000 kids, but it was the 1000 teenagers that was the problem. The kids are in Adventure Club being cared for. But the teens area was almost always empty because they preferred to run in gangs thru the halls. I was in an elevator where they rushed in as a man in a wheelchair was trying to back out. It got into a huge shouting match.

They also hung out on Deck 15 around a table with one drink and many straws. Don't know what was in it, but one gal got sick one night and threw up. The crew put yellow tape around it and called the doctor and her parents. One of our family smokes and this always happened near the smoking area; we observed it every night.

I had a cabin on the 9th deck of Boardwalk and you could hear them every night.

I've always taught my kids to step to one side as an elevator door is opening. My youngest doesn't always remember. So all I'll need to do is send my kids up and down all the elevators the first day with my 13 year old loudly reminding his little sister (as big brother's are prone to do) that you wait until people get off before getting on and he'll have the clueless adults shamed into following proper elevator etiquette in no time. :D

I was in an elevator where they rushed in as a man in a wheelchair was trying to back out. It got into a huge shouting match.

I sure WISH that I had been in that elevator with some kids who disrespected someone in a wheelchair! Even at my age, I've got just enough energy to grab one of them by the juglar vein... :mad:

It's ridiculous for parents to allow their under-18 aged children to run through the ship like a pack of animals.

I will merely say that I see both kinds of bad behavior. And none of it has anything to do with cruising. It's basic manners. People act well or badly, however they act on dry land.

I see people not letting a scooter-bound person onto an elevator. I see many people waiting patiently for an elevator, the door finally opens, a scooter arrives, and guns its way onto the elevator ahead of those waiting.

I see people taking an elevator one floor, but it is not for me to judge their physical condition. You cannot see a bad back, a bad hip, a bad knee, etc. But for many people, one flight of stairs can be a dealbreaker.

I see dirty dishes left in elevators. But I have seen adults leaving them there as well as youngsters.

I see kids sitting on the stairs. But I see adults sitting on the stairs, too.

Sure, some people don't let the current occupants off the elevator before pushing their way on. But I simply push back and say, "If you let us off first, there will be room for you when we are gone." (and by push, I do NOT mean "shove")

I have seen kids push lots of the elevator buttons. But I have seen confused or arguing adults do much the same thing. ("We want Deck 4." "No, it's on Deck 5". "Ok, let's go to the Photo Gallery on Deck 3 instead." "No, the heck with it, let's go back to the cabin on Deck 2". ;) )

On Princess, the elevators doors opened. I saw three people. One calls out, "It's full" and hits the *close doors* button. :eek:

Elevators, schmelevators. Cruises, schmuises. There are rude or clueless people everywhere.

:D :D

Edited by Merion_Mom

I´m with all of the People commenting about Elevator etiquette, but I strongly disagree with the Sentiment of having to walk one floor if I´m capable of doing it.

I don´t park in a handicap place, would book a handicapped cabin for more space or use handicapped restrooms - you get the drift - however even though I´m totally capable of walking a few flights of stairs it´s my decision to use the Elevators. Elevators are there for the use of everyone. They are not something reserved for handicapped folks, visible or not. On the same note I´m not going to push in front of a wheelchair or scooter if he was there before me and I will hold the door for the Person in it, but I expect the same respect from them to not push in front of me, if they are getting there behind me. Wait until it´s your turn. I know I have the choice, you not, but that´s not the Point IMO.

We use the stairs as much as possible in order to burn off some of the calories we consume. After several flights tho, I have to admit we slow down. We also avoid using the handrails as much as possible to avoid spreading or catching a "bug". Can't wait to sail again, coming up soon on the Legend.

With my DW in a wheelchair (she cannot walk - MS) we have dealt with elevator issues for a looooonnnggg time. The points posted here are all (well, mostly) well taken. We have experienced all of the problems posted. We have also had people actually get off a crowded elevator to make room for us! Like Marion Mom said - manners are manners - on ship or anywhere else. We've just decided now that we will not let someone else's bad manners wreck our cruise. If we have to wait for the next elevator, it just gives us more time to people watch!! So look out!!! We're watching you!!

Happy cruising and keep smiling!

I've always taught my kids to step to one side as an elevator door is opening. My youngest doesn't always remember. So all I'll need to do is send my kids up and down all the elevators the first day with my 13 year old loudly reminding his little sister (as big brother's are prone to do) that you wait until people get off before getting on and he'll have the clueless adults shamed into following proper elevator etiquette in no time. :D

Excellent idea.

One other to add, don't sit on the stairs on in the halls.

On a side note, on the last sea day yesterday there was an elevator stuck with people on it.

My dd and some of her friends were on an elevator coming back from shore - forget which stop. They got on the elevator on deck 2 - there were 2 or 3 other people with them. It went up to deck 3 - maybe 4 and then FELL to deck 2. Doors wouldn't open. Same thing happened again - went up a floor or two and then fell. They were terrified. But they made sure my 80 year mother never got on that elevator. Everyone agreed she would have had a heart attack.