LAX to Port. Suggestions needed.

Seayalater

We have established a ritual when sailing out of Los Angeles. We fly in the evening before, stay at the LAX Marriott in a pool room, eat at Champs Sports bar (on site), get coffee at the Starbucks in the morning (on site), speak to the man working out front to arrange/negotiate car service to San Pedro with a stop at Ralph's for wine. It's easy, reliable, on our own schedule, and we will be doing it again in February!

We have established a ritual when sailing out of Los Angeles. We fly in the evening before, stay at the LAX Marriott in a pool room, eat at Champs Sports bar (on site), get coffee at the Starbucks in the morning (on site), speak to the man working out front to arrange/negotiate car service to San Pedro with a stop at Ralph's for wine. It's easy, reliable, on our own schedule, and we will be doing it again in February!

I love a plan when it comes together! :D

Where's Ralph's? We are staying at the Westin in Long Beach and looking for a good spot to pick up a couple of bottles! :)

The one we stop at is near LAX on Sepulveda Blvd. If you google Ralph's Los Angeles it will give you a link to find all of Ralph's locations in the LA area. There may be a better place for wine near where you are staying and maybe some of the locals on CC will have some suggestions for you.

Where's Ralph's? We are staying at the Westin in Long Beach and looking for a good spot to pick up a couple of bottles!

We book a private shuttle, from LAX to the Best Western Plus in San Pedro (That way you have the van to yourself, and don't worry about the amount of baggage and scooters). No stops to let other off. :D

Costs a little more, but think of the room, and comfort! :rolleyes:

This hotel has breakfast and free cruise shuttle. ;)

Bottles we pick up at YVR, Duty free, prior to flight! :p

6pack; We'll see you on the Christmas cruise! :cool:

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vanco

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

Edited by Donna’s Mom & Dad

We are staying at Marriott in January before our cruise.Also using Princess shuttle. Are there restaurants near hotel? Where would you suggest?

There are 2 good restaurants in the hotel... and in its sister the Renaissance.

You have a casual one,, a good steak place and then a sports bar with great pub food.

Best of all you can just sign and get Marriott points for your eats

Eat at the hotel....there are no great places within 30 min... If you want to take a cab $50 go to Shanghai Reds in the Marina Del Rey..... great atmosphere and seafood,,,,

You know that Marriott has a free shuttle that runs every 30 min right t the hotel? If you choose, the Hotel can set you up with a limo for a very smooth transfer to the port... Habe them take you down through Marina and Palo Verdes rather then fighting traffic and viewing iron works and huge refineries for hours... It will cost less than a princess transfer and you get a lux tour!!!

FYI, the Marriott has a Hertz car rental office in the lobby. If you get in relatively early, you could probably rent a car for the day and explore nearby. Or, you can rent a car when you arrive at LAX and return it at the Marriott. I've done the latter in the past when we arrived early in the day, drove down to Laguna for the day with family and checked into the hotel after dinner, returning the car and dropping off the keys.

Actually, I tend to think of the whole port area as Long Beach, but do realize that they are separated by a bridge and are in fact two different municipalities. I lived in San Pedro for a while as a kid.

Speaking of Long beach, find a flight there, if you can.

What company/s is that through?

Thank you fellow Washingtonian!

The last time I used On Time Transportation, and for my wife and I we had a town car for $55 plus gratuity.

The next day my daughter and family of four arrived and took an SUV for $65 plus gratuity.

On the way back to the airport all 6 of us rode in a rather large SUV for the same $65 plus gratuity.

The vehicles were immaculate and the drivers very polite. He stopped at an In-and-Out Burgers for the family when they arrived at no extra charge.

Needless to say we will use them again. But as I have said before on this forum, I will not take a shuttle even if it is free, but that is just my personal preference as there a many who don't mind a shuttle.:)

Good luck.:)

Speaking of Long beach, find a flight there, if you can.

Trust me flying in.... Long beach is a a terrible airport built for aircraft manufacture.... not in a nice area.

Stay at the airport its polished visitor services and quality location....its like Beverly Hills compared to seedy San Pedro. " known as Pedro", ( That is unless your a gang member and your gang has a chapter there... Or a longshoreman as there are a lot of great bars to slam them down on Beacon street ...to slam down boiler makers till 2 am.

I wouldn't call the area around LAX a quality area.

If you have the $ and want a nice area the day or two before a cruise, consider one of the nicer hotels in Santa Monica. It's a nice area to walk around in (even though between October and early June, it's not beach weather) and you can walk over to the Third Street Promenade which has restaurants, stores and a lot of people-watching opportunities.

Trust me flying in.... Long beach is a a terrible airport built for aircraft manufacture.... not in a nice area.

Stay at the airport its polished visitor services and quality location....its like Beverly Hills compared to seedy San Pedro. " known as Pedro", ( That is unless your a gang member and your gang has a chapter there... Or a longshoreman as there are a lot of great bars to slam them down on Beacon street ...to slam down boiler makers till 2 am.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? LOL.

Definitely not. I stopped at a gas station near LAX not long ago, and an (apparent) gang member was looking over HIS shoulder while buying gas!
I've had aggressive panhandlers come up to me when I have been filling up my rental car with gas at LAX. Just not a nice area to be walking around.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Those of you who have booked a car through "Shuttle to LAX," I have a question. If your plane is late it looks as though you lose your payment :confused: Can you get a car curb-side for a similar rate?

"Contracted carriers will not refund payments if cancellation occurs within 6 hours of pickup time or if the traveling party elects not to appear for a pickup (a no show)."

I am the OP for Shuttle2LAX share rides. When you book, you are given a confirmation number and an email that lets you know that Prime Time Shuttle will be your carrier.

You go outside the baggage claim area to pick up your shuttle. Give them your name and reservation number.

If there is a shuttle heading for San Pedro in the airport circuit, they will stop to pick you up. If not, they will "summons" a shuttle or find out where the closest one is.

With any shuttle service, it may take several hours to get from LAX to point B since they are also delivering other passengers to their destinations.

If you want to avoid such delays, they do have a direct delivery for an additional cost.

You will not forfeit your reservations/costs if the plane is delayed. They generally keep an eye on planes landing. It is only if you truly cancel the reservation within 6 hours that you will lose your fare.

Hope this helps.

Frankly, if I'm coming in for a vacation (cruise or otherwise), would I want to be on a shuttle for "hours" with an unwanted tour of possibly the industrial areas of Los Angeles? Especially after a flight? If you book an exclusive vehicle with Execu-car (that's the same parent company as Supershuttle) or with another service (we used On-Time for our transportation between our house in the San Fernardino Valley and the port for our last cruise, and they were on-time and reliable -- which is a biggie for us as PT had already prove they're not), you'll be taken directly to your hotel (maybe you can negotiate a stop at a store in San Pedro to buy a bottle of wine or pack of soda, but you may want to do this the next morning and the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in SP may shuttle you to Vons or whatever store in the area). Unless there's a massive traffic jam between the airport and your hotel, you should be there within a half hour, maybe less.

I am the OP for Shuttle2LAX share rides. When you book, you are given a confirmation number and an email that lets you know that Prime Time Shuttle will be your carrier.

You go outside the baggage claim area to pick up your shuttle. Give them your name and reservation number.

If there is a shuttle heading for San Pedro in the airport circuit, they will stop to pick you up. If not, they will "summons" a shuttle or find out where the closest one is.

With any shuttle service, it may take several hours to get from LAX to point B since they are also delivering other passengers to their destinations.

If you want to avoid such delays, they do have a direct delivery for an additional cost.

You will not forfeit your reservations/costs if the plane is delayed. They generally keep an eye on planes landing. It is only if you truly cancel the reservation within 6 hours that you will lose your fare.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! You've been most helpful :)

First, we booked our flights thru Princess, second we will need to get

to get to the airport by 10:00 am to make our flight. We will do the earliest walk off, which would be better, a taxi (what would be the cost?)

or a company with car service? Thanks for your help.

Just booked our car service from LAX to the Westin in Long Beach. $69 which included an 18% tip. I found this to be extremely reasonable! We also just booked the Long Beach excursion from the ship. $59 each which allows us to poke around Long Beach for 5 hours. The bus holds your bags and then returns you to LAX. Certainly better time spent than waiting for a late afternoon flight at the airport! Really looking forward to this :-)