Has anyone done LA to Miami

PhillyGirl2

Has anyone done this cruise who could afford feedback before I commit--since it isn't exactly cheap, considering shore excursions, tipping, etc. Also, is there any bad cabins on the Concierge level. I have read that they are not worth the money but I like the itinerary since it hits places in Central America, South America and the Panama Canal, as well as goes to Key West. I guess, it's appealing because you leave from the US and return to the US without the 8-9 hour out of country flights. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you have Visas where you need them. I personally love Key West. The Panama Canal is really educational. Go for it!

We're on what's essentially the reverse of this trip - Miami to San Francisco - in April. Stops include Cartagena, Columbia, plus Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and several stops in Mexico. Where are visas required? We've been to Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Mexico on O, and never had visas.

We did this route several years ago on Regatta

Concierge cabins are the same as the B cabins with a few extra perks

You have to decide if the perks are worth the extra $ for you

if you shop around you may find a TA to include Gratuities & maybe an OBC ;)

We have done the transit 3 time on Oceania once from Miami to to the west coast & 2 West to east ...all good

Lyn

We're on what's essentially the reverse of this trip - Miami to San Francisco - in April. Stops include Cartagena, Columbia, plus Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and several stops in Mexico. Where are visas required? We've been to Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Mexico on O, and never had visas.

+1

never needed a VISA on 3 trips through the canal

Edited by LHT28

Definitely go for it! 2014 is the Panama Canal's 100th anniversary. It is fascinating to see how a 100-year old system still functions so well today. And with the new locks nearing completion, it will be really interesting. The other countries are fun - we especially enjoyed Costa Rica where we visited the rain forest. We didn't need visas either, but if you'll just google VISA for each country you are visiting you can get up-to-date information for each one.

As to cabins, both the Balcony and Concierge cabins are essentially all the same. The concierge cabins come with a few extra perks, so only you can decide if the additional cost is worth it. I would recommend making sure any room you book has cabins above and below, and be sure you understand the proximity of such things as the elevators/stairwells, laundry facilities, etc. And, of course location on the ship can make a difference if you are sensitive to sea sickness.

I also recommend contacting a good TA for their recommendations, help if things go wrong and the possibility of some $$$ credit to lower your cost a bit.

Have a wonderful time. Our Panama cruise aboard the Regatta was one of the best we've ever taken!

Has anyone done this cruise who could afford feedback before I commit--since it isn't exactly cheap, considering shore excursions, tipping, etc. Also, is there any bad cabins on the Concierge level. I have read that they are not worth the money but I like the itinerary since it hits places in Central America, South America and the Panama Canal, as well as goes to Key West. I guess, it's appealing because you leave from the US and return to the US without the 8-9 hour out of country flights. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Let me be direct 1. the concierge cabin is NOT worth it just to get eat in the cabin... much better to mingle at breakfast and meet fun folks.

2. Key west is great

3. Panama Canal is interesting but a lot of boring in-between

4. The ports in Mexico, Venezuela central America, are for the most part steeped in poverty, crime and just dirty. Folks that got off quickly got back on citing not feeling comfortable.

I must say I have a real problem with Mexico and its safety...and not into cheap booze, drugs or having my heart set on a stuffed iguana would avoid it.

It can be scary.... I have had friends murdered in broad daylight in Cabo and Acapulco... and I witnessed robberies in daylight in Puerto Viarta while the cops watched and laughed. So that's why I think what I think and why. Others may differ...fine. Dan don't got to Mexico.

I would suggest the Lima to NY 16 day as a much better option Also Maya Mystique 10 day

That's my experience....for what its worth

We did a similar itinerary some years ago on the Regent Mariner. I won't comment on the PH suite issue etc but on the ports -

The Mexican ports were not very interesting. (We had been to Mexico several times in the past so maybe that is why). However we went on shore and certainly didn't find them dirty or dangerous. Nor did we feel personally menaced in any way. People were very nice.

Our stop in Costa Rica was wonderful. Costa Rica is not a poor, dirty country. It is a very prosperous country, well run and safe. We took a fascinating day trip to the Poas volcano.

The canal transit was fantastic. It was well commentated - there was a Panamanian fellow who came on board with the pilots and "talked us through it", plus there was a good guest lecturer who gave four lectures on the canal during the cruise. It is something that everyone should do once or more in their lifetimes!

Key West - we do not like. Very tacky and full of souvenir shops. It was better, lots better, before 2008. We were there quite recently and there were a lot of places boarded over and we couldn't find a decent place to have lunch. Most likely there are some. But we decided to go back to the ship where the lunch is always great!!

We have done the transit three times, all on Seabourn.....

However I would recommend this book before you go. It makes the canal really interesting.

Path Between the Seas

+1, an absolute MUST!

http://www.amazon.com/Path-Between-Seas-Creation-1870-1914/dp/0671244094/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417548413&sr=1-1&keywords=the+path+between+the+seas

I sailed it twice - first time NYC - LA on QE2 in January a few years back and then a few years ago w/ my partner San Diego - Miami on Azamara in February. Both trips were about 16 days.

The Canal is very interest cruising and its a different trip than the Carib or Mexico. One thing is that it is hot as heck in the canal zone(which we liked as we were escaping NYC winters). The other ports were a mix - not a fan of Mexico and key west is more mainstream and just a day for lunch - tho many ships miss it due to wind conditions etc.

The book mentioned by Davis McCollough is a wonderful read pre cruise..I hope to do the Canal again when the new locks are finished on QM2 - a NYC - LA itin one day!

Go for it its worth at least one try!