Luggage dropped into the water in Miami - 17 Nov 2014

rajones007

I just got off the Star cruise from 17 Nov until 30 Nov 2014. I won't get into the wonderful time we had as there's too much to type.

What I wanted to mention was at about 2.30pm we watched the dock workers in Miami drop an entire cart of luggage into the water. They got some of it out by using long poles, but eventually they brought in a couple scuba divers to get down to the bottom and get them all. Muster drill got in the way of watching how many sunk to the bottom, but I did see they managed to bring up the cart itself.

I can't really say exactly how it happened as we weren't looking directly at them at that precise moment. We did however see the "oh crap!" look on their faces shortly after it happened. It looked like the guy driving the forklift put a full luggage cart down. That cart bumped the obviously top-heavy cart next to it, which then tumbled into the drink.

The Star officer/security were out there taking photos and talking to the dockworkers shortly after it happened. There had to be maybe 15 or so cases that went in the water.

My wife and I felt so sorry for whoever's luggage was in that cart. We felt sick to our stomach trying to imagine what it would be like if it was one of ours. What a horrible way to begin the cruise of a lifetime.

When we were in Cartegena (day 3) I seen a room steward pushing an entire clothing rack down the hall and trying to wiggle it into a cabin. I'm assuming that was one unfortunate persons entire clothing contents of their suitcase. There was also a suitcase on the shelf below it, which looked either a)brand new, or b)recently professionally cleaned.

So I'm curious if there is anybody here who were one of the unlucky ones who this happened to. What did NCL do to try to rectify the problem? I'm trying not to be nosy, but I can't help but wonder how they handled it. I'm sure there had to be more than clothing and suitcase(s) that was ruined too.

• Like 1

How unfortunate for the individuals affected. Hopefully they didn't let it ruin their cruise. I lost a suitcase (or i should say it never made it to the final destination) on my way to Hawaii. Since then I always cross pack clothes and a swimsuit in my carryon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

There are usually nets put up to prevent this kind of thing. My guess is that someone is in deep dodo for not putting up the nets. Oops!

We once saw this happen in San Juan. Yes there were nets but the load that went over was so heavy that it ripped the nets right out.

There are usually nets put up to prevent this kind of thing. My guess is that someone is in deep dodo for not putting up the nets. Oops!

Or it was not close enough to the nets. They only cover a short distance.

In any event, bad news for some passengers.

And, equally bad news for some of the folks trying to clean up after that mishap.

I find the silver lining in this story. While it would be unfortunate if it was my case it is still a million times better than it not get lost or left behind in Miami. Yes your clothes and things would be wet but clothes can be easily cleaned. Personal items are usually in plastic containers so they would not be ruined. If you had travel insurance any items ruined would be covered. But no one puts cameras in suitcases these days. I'm trying to think of items I pack on a cruise that would be ruined if they got soaked. I cant think of one off the top of my head. Then again, I wear drip dry on vacation :eek:

Accidents happen and I am sure NCL cleaned the laundry for the passengers. There are definitely worse ways to begin a cruise.

Oh that sucks........

Just another good reason why I pack all my important stuff in my carry on and back pack. I never check them at the port or airline. I keep at least 3 changes of clothes and an extra pair of shoes in my carry on. Camera gear, meds, iPad, paperwork etc... go into my small back pack

Edited by Laszlo

I'm trying to think of items I pack on a cruise that would be ruined if they got soaked. I cant think of one off the top of my head.

I think it might be an issue for shoes and small personal electronic type items (electric razor, curling iron, etc.). Makes me think maybe I should seal everything I pack in zippy bags from now on :)!

The nets are only below the areas where they actually move the luggage from the dock and into the ship.

THIS event happened between those loading spots. It was like they decided to move some of the carts to an out-of-the-way spot temporarily.

I think it might be an issue for shoes and small personal electronic type items (electric razor, curling iron, etc.). Makes me think maybe I should seal everything I pack in zippy bags from now on :)!

That's what we were thinking too. Personally I could make do with what I had on for one more day. I wouldn't like it, but I think I could tolerate it.

Not only nice shoes and electronics would be ruined, but also toiletries. I sure as hell ain't going to use that toothbrush, dental floss, and deodorant again (just to name a few).

Oh my goodness! What a story! :eek:

I'm with you...I would have felt sick to my stomach, as well. I'm always SO relieved when all of our luggage has safely arrived in our cabin.

Keep your blood pressure low and just do carryon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dental floss and toothbrushes are available on board. They would have a huge selection even at the next port if you did not like the on board selection. My point is that your cruise would not be ruined but a little inconvenience. Look at it this way. What better reason to finally change your toothbrush :eek:

While I may be frustrated with the men that lost the suitcases..... I also would be thankful they took the time to fetch them.

I would rather have 80% of my wet belongings washed and new again than losing the entire suitcase.

We watched the exact thing happen in Port Everglades Nov 2011 with Princess. We had never seen so many white uniforms run at the same time. There was a lot of yelling & other than feeling sorry for everyone, it was quite interesting to watch. They did not bring in scuba divers, but one poor sole did jump into the water & hand up some suitcases.

I found out afterwards that Princess was extremely good to the affected passengers & the only thing that was damaged beyond repair were their chargers. The people at the pursers desk charged their electronics for them as needed. Their clothes were dry cleaned or washed by Princess & they were compensated somehow as well..... AND they had great stories to tell everyone when they got home.

I can only assume that NCL would be just as gracious.

Still waiting for someone that was affected by it to jump in. ;) That would be tough to have happen but makes for a great story. Feel kind of bad for the baggage handlers though... You know they felt horrible about it.

Watched this happen from our balcony on the Sky sailing out of Miami on a cruise to the Bahamas back around 2009.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The longshoremen should really be more careful. For what they make an hour they really don’t need to be careless in their handling of luggage. Yes there is a timeframe to get everything on the ship but it doesn’t mean handle luggage poorly. I watched one time before the new Cruiseport Boston opened; the longshoremen were taking the luggage after it was scanned and throwing it out the door and onto the dock by the ship for someone else to put into the cart which was loading it into the ship. If it rolled or landed the wrong way it could’ve gone over.

On a lighter note, I’m sure NCL would’ve given all the passengers free laundry service and washed everything and probably steam cleaned their bags too. As for compensation, I’m sure something would’ve been offered as NCL would likely have to file an insurance claim against Intercruises (their shore side vendor). OP, thanks for sharing the story and others who have had similar experiences in their travels.