Live from the Eurodam, Where are the officers?

bobandgloria

I've sailed on HAL many times and have always had great trips. However, the last two cruises I had a major problem with my stateroom. We were on an 11 night sailing and had a broken toilet for the first six days. It worked off and on, but mostly off. Having to go to public restrooms for six days was not ideal.

Last year, on a seven day sailing, we had a leak in our cabin which took four days to resolve. We had a nice big, blue, wet vac in our cabin for half the cruise. It was a great addition to the room!

I realize things happen and mechanical failures are part of life. However, it was the initial response that left us with a really bad taste, not the mechanical problems. It was like pulling teeth to get someone to help us resolve it. So much lip service and so few results. Getting in touch with a higher up was nearly impossible. We finally got a note to the Captain and then progress was made.

What really amazes me that HAL, almost always, is able to fix cabin leaks and broken toilets. But it seems like it takes them days and days to do it. Do we all really need to send notes to the Captain to have a liveable cabin??

I have a contact list for various HAL Seattle Offices. It includes emails and phone numbers. I take this with me on every cruise. If I am ever faced with a major issue - and a broken toilet is in this category - I will first talk to the Front Desk and tell them I want the toilet fixed in two hours. If it isn't fixed I go back again and tell the Front Desk that they have another 2 hours to fix it or I will be contacting Seattle. I'm not wasting my time trying to contact the elusive Hotel Director.

And since posting on FB is so successful, I will probably do that, too.

It's just too bad that many times the Front desk staff are not able to provide true customer service.

The problem here is that companies forget that small problems are the biggest issues.

Big problems are dealt with. Small ones can be ignored or trivialized and turned into big problems.

OP, don't let it ruin your cruise, but I totally get where you are coming from.

If they felt the issue was not big enough to be referred that is their problem. If you asked for the wrong person, then they should have referred you to the right one.

I dealt a lot with problem resolution for clients and the biggest thing I saw was the small problems became big ones.

To ignore any problem makes it bigger. I totally get it.

But don't let it ruin your cruise.

I work in AAA Five Diamond Hotel and it is standard to get back to a guest that day or no later than the next morning.

It would be nice if there was some empowerment on board to resolve these things. Maybe it has changed. I love this line and am currently booked on another sailing. However, it would be nice to see some changes in how problems are handled at the Front Office. I sympathize with you.

I agree with what you are saying. Been there and done that quite a few times on HAL. Unfortunately, HAL is not an AAA 5 Diamond Line.

The Front Office is supposed to be the go-between for the pax and the appropriate department for complaints and repairs, etc.

Some Front Desk people are great. Some seem not to be trained well enough, or are just not all that interested in the job.

Employees are employees and someone has to supervise them (and lots of HAL's Front Office people are not much more than kids, so not much expereince). The supervision doesn't seem to be done very well sometimes. More like processing pax, not necessarily helping them.

Used to be the Guest Relations Manager had Office Hours. That was helpful. Any time I talked to the GRM, I had issues resolved well. Now, a different story.

I see this as HAL changing from a premium to an ordinary cruise line. The first to go, from my point of view, was the overall interest in the pax.

Was on the Eurodam the week before (Nov 23) and we had no problems with staff, front desk or otherwise. Have sailed on her four times now as she is our favorite in the HAL fleet. I hope the OP can move on from the issues and enjoy what's left of the cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We arrived into Fll on Sunday from a seven day cruise aboard the Eurodam. I want to thank all who contributed to this post because without your advice, the remainder of the cruise would of been disappointing. It seems that Holland America Corporate Personnel does read cruisecritic and facebook. When we arrived back to the ship in St. Thomas we had a scheduled meeting with the Hotel Director. He apologize for not getting back to us sooner, he stated that he would personally correct the situation so that it would not happen again to other cruisers. At that time he offered a monetary compensation for the inconvenience but we refused. But he did make the remainder of cruise more enjoyable by offering dinners at the specialty restaurants, which we accepted. The Hotel Director did stop by during our allotted meal times and check to see that everything was up to par.

"......he stated that he would personally correct the situation so that it would not happen again to other cruisers."

Exactly what 'situation' will not happen to other cruisers?

Either you are telling there is something on board that we know and should avoid?

Or....

Should be be warned that HAL Seattle is the best way to get something done on board when one has a problem with the Hotel Director?

We arrived into Fll on Sunday from a seven day cruise aboard the Eurodam. I want to thank all who contributed to this post because without your advice, the remainder of the cruise would of been disappointing. It seems that Holland America Corporate Personnel does read cruisecritic and facebook. When we arrived back to the ship in St. Thomas we had a scheduled meeting with the Hotel Director. He apologize for not getting back to us sooner, he stated that he would personally correct the situation so that it would not happen again to other cruisers. At that time he offered a monetary compensation for the inconvenience but we refused. But he did make the remainder of cruise more enjoyable by offering dinners at the specialty restaurants, which we accepted. The Hotel Director did stop by during our allotted meal times and check to see that everything was up to par.

Very happy you were able to speak with the Hotel Director and you feel he acted appropriately. It is good you finally met and he smoothed the rest of your cruise.

Thank you for sharing this post with us. Of course, we are all still puzzled as to what was the problem. :confused:

Welcome Back.

Very happy you were able to speak with the Hotel Director and you feel he acted appropriately. It is good you finally met and he smoothed the rest of your cruise.

Thank you for sharing this post with us. Of course, we are all still puzzled as to what was the problem. :confused:

Welcome Back.

I for one am not "puzzled" as to what the initial problem was. It is really none of my business. IMHO the real problem is how this paying customer was treated when he/she tried to resolve the initial problem.

bobandgloria, I am glad you finally got to meet with someone.

Edited by CowPrincess

I for one am not "puzzled" as to what the initial problem was. It is really none of my business. IMHO the real problem is how this paying customer was treated when he/she tried to resolve the initial problem.

I have deep admiration for consistency.

I agree. The O.P. didn't go into detail about the "initial problem" and that was fine with me.

I am really disappointed the Hotel Director wouldn't find time in his schedule to discuss the matter until social media pressure was brought to bear.

Not looking good for H.A.L. on the Customer Relations side of things at all.

The question in my mind is how many other people have unresolved problems that remain unresolved because onboard H.A.L. Management is to busy to meet? Are we all to cruise with ready access to Social Media when we have a problem to discuss? Poor form H.A.L., really poor

I'll repeat again.... if this situation is 'important'......

"....he stated that he would personally correct the situation so that it would not happen again to other cruisers."

I'm not asking for details.

I'll repeat again.... if this situation is 'important'......

"....he stated that he would personally correct the situation so that it would not happen again to other cruisers."

I'm not asking for details.

I agree. I'd like to know what the issue was. I'm sailing on the Eurodam on December 28th. I sailed on her during her maiden season and had a great time. If there is something that we can look out for, then it would be helpful to us!