Cunard UK Website could!! be Compromised.

zider

I have lately been making Dummy bookings on Cunard's UK Site & I of course have been using a Alias name & today I have received 2 Emails from a Dubai Addressed to the Alias name that I used , But the real issue is that at no Time have I ever given them my Email address when making Dummy bookings & Cunard is the only site that I have used this Alias name .

I have lately been making Dummy bookings on Cunard's UK Site & I of course have been using a Alias name & today I have received 2 Emails from a Dubai Addressed to the Alias name that I used , But the real issue is that at no Time have I ever given them my Email address when making Dummy bookings & Cunard is the only site that I have used this Alias name .

This doesn't make sense to me. If you were doing a dummy booking just to find out what cabin numbers were available and if you used an alias of say John Smith, how would you receive an email to your own address?

That is to say how can you receive an email addressed to JohnSmith@....

when your own email address is say Zider@.........

I have just done a dummy booking on Cunard's website and not received any emails from anyone.

That is to say how can you receive an email addressed to JohnSmith@....

when your own email address is say Zider@.........

The OP doesn't say he/she did that, simply used their e mail adress but an alias on the Cunard site.

David.

The OP doesn't say he/she did that, simply used their e mail adress but an alias on the Cunard site.

David.

I thought he did which is why I bolded his words:

received 2 Emails from a Dubai Addressed to the Alias name that I used

Looks like we're reading his message differently.

Okay, having read it about 20 times, I guess he means he got an email to his usual email address starting: Dear Mr Smith.

I agree with MeredithFairfax that it could be his computer. He may have spyware on it.

When making a dummy booking in the UK you have to give a name/birth date & year of birth, BUT NO EMAIL ADRESS UNLESS YOU MAKE A FIRM BOOKING. Now I did not make a firm booking & I used a completely fictitious name address ect, So how did some one in Dubai get my Email address& fictitious name which I only use for Cunard, And after spending all of yesterday searching through my computer I found a Trojan bug which I have managed to get rid of this bug must have come from Cunard UK website as I always use Cunard's website direct.

Edited by zider

When making a dummy booking in the UK you have to give a name/birth date & year of birth, BUT NO EMAIL ADRESS UNLESS YOU MAKE A FIRM BOOKING. Now I did not make a firm booking & I used a completely fictitious name address ect, So how did some one in Dubai get my Email address& fictitious name which I only use for Cunard, And after spending all of yesterday searching through my computer I found a Trojan bug which I have managed to get rid of this bug must have come from Cunard UK website as I always use Cunard's website direct.

So you never go to other websites, or download emails with attachments or install programs? Sorry, but it think you are jumping to conclusions saying it's definitely the Cunard website. I'm not sure it's that easy to pinpoint it is it?

...... I found a Trojan bug which I have managed to get rid of this bug must have come from Cunard UK website as I always use Cunard's website direct.

Great minds think alike. MeredithFairfax posted his comment whilst I wrote mine that is below!

If you never visit any other websites, don't open emails on your computer, never insert memory sticks etc that have been used on another computer and never connect to a network, then the chances of the Trojan coming from Cunard would be very high. It is still possible it came from Cunard but if you do any of the above, then it is more than likely that the Trojan came from another source rather than Cunard.

This is being a bit simplistic but you can probably understand the gist.

If you have used any passwords on your computer recently, then it may be wise to change them.

Edited by phileas
Pipped to the post by MF!

Zider, was the name of the Trojan 'poweliks'? -S.

I found a Trojan bug which I have managed to get rid of this bug must have come from Cunard UK website as I always use Cunard's website direct.

I agreee with MeredithFairfax, why must it have come from Cunard's website? I'm sure a lot of people using this forum use Cunard's website and no-one else has complained of that. I've used it a lot recently and haven't picked up any trojan viruses.

The Cunard website will have a very good anti-virus installed and I hope you have too.

I agreee with MeredithFairfax, why must it have come from Cunard's website? I'm sure a lot of people using this forum use Cunard's website and no-one else has complained of that. I've used it a lot recently and haven't picked up any trojan viruses.

The Cunard website will have a very good anti-virus installed and I hope you have too.

Ray, I think we have all read about the security of various websites, including highest level 'secure' government websites and various corporate websites being compromised. Even our personal computers can be infected with malware just because some one decided to screw things up.

No website should be considered totally secure, and no anti-virus program can be expected to respond immediately to unknown threats. That has been proven to be true.

Point being: a computer virus, malware, trojan can be picked up any where - and chances are, we'll never know where it came from. Even practicing safe computing won't prevent it from happening, nor can the best anti-virus software.

Edited by Salacia

Another scenario of course is that you could have unknowingly downloaded the bug BEFORE you visited Cunard site and so the name you used and your email address could have been harvested that way.

When I try to make a dummy booking on the UK site I have always been asked for an email address. Maybe you are not aware of entering it.

I've never been asked for an email address. How far do you get in your 'dummy' booking? You can get all the way to choosing your stateroom number without entering anything more than a first and second name, neither of which need to be accurate.

If, however, you are going further than this, does it ask if you would like your quote sent to you? In which case, it would indeed need your email address.

Maybe you get a different experience if you put in your Cunard World Club number (or whatever it's called) right at the start. Once you do this, you are no longer anonymous of course, and this may well be linked to your email address.

Anti-spyware trojan spam virus-protection bugs malware.

Why worry do what we do.

We alway blame Cunard for every little thing that goes wrong on computer or in life.

Far simpler saves time.

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

There doesn't seem to be any advantage in using an alias in the booking pages.

You can check available prices etc without the suterfuge and won't get past the page requesting personal details without adding your postal and e mail adress.

Add any of these and your cover is blown.

David.

There doesn't seem to be any advantage in using an alias in the booking pages.

You can check available prices etc without the suterfuge and won't get past the page requesting personal details without adding your postal and e mail adress.

Add any of these and your cover is blown.

David.

'Cookies' placed on your computer by visiting most websites will also reveal many details, including what computer used the site, and hence enabling a response.

I've never done a dummy booking on the Cunard website. Has my computer been infected with malware? OH, yeah, I've got a real humdinger Trojan isolated by my AV, so it can't infect any other computer but trying to get that bugger (powerlik) removed from my registry is a real trip.

Obviously, I'm no IT expert, but I strongly suggest - as others have, buying the best AV software possible, and then doing a complete security scan of your computer every so often. Don't shut down without doing a complete delete.

Unfortunately, there are many vulnerabilities whenever the freedom of information is exchanged. But that hasn't stopped civilization in the past, and it won't stop us now. We just have to be smarter than them. There's a challenge :)

Cheers,

Salacia

So you never go to other websites, or download emails with attachments or install programs? Sorry, but it think you are jumping to conclusions saying it's definitely the Cunard website. I'm not sure it's that easy to pinpoint it is it?

OP is assuming that he has no cookies on his computer which let the planter have what he sends. I would believe that it is far more likely for his computer to be compromised than for Cunard's.