Formal Nights

Ted1690

Hi all,

Any advice please on what to wear ?

Both my wife and I are a little confused regarding the correct attire.

A lot depends on which cruise line you are sailing on. Once we know that we'll better be able to tell you (there is a difference between Carnival and Cunard when it comes to formal night;)).

I believe you are traveling on RCI so I would post this join the RCI Board since all of this does vary by cruise line. This will take you to the RCI Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=83

The Royal Caribbean Web Site recommends the following attire for formal nights on their web site.

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Keith

Ted is on RCI's Jewel of the Seas, out of Puerto Rico next May.

As intimated by sparks, formal dress is normally DJ & black tie - or at the very least dark suit. On Cunard and P & O that dress code extends to some bars too, and it's strictly enforced.

But on Royal Caribbean the code tends not to be enforced.

Most make an effort to dress smartly, including a sizeable number in DJs, but..........

on their ships I've also seen Hawaiian shirts & baseball caps in the dining room on formal nights, which kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing. :rolleyes:

A mix of folk who are trying to make some sort of lame statement about "its my vacation so I'll wear what I like" & others who are just plain dumb.

Whatever, they look totally out of place & probably don't realise how slobby & stupid they look.

So, DJ or dark suit for gents, something dressy for the girls though that can include trousers. Ball-gowns possibly a bit OTT for Royal Caribbean cruises.

If you prefer dressing-down, dinner in the Windjammer buffet is usually very good and formal dress code doesn't apply.

All just MHO as always. ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Possibly think about what you may wear to a nice wedding. You don't need to stick with a dark suit --my hubby does wear a jacket, nice slacks and tie, but not a jacket that's black or dark blue.

There could be a lot of tuxes and glittery gowns but I'm guessing on Royal Caribbean that won't be the majority.

Though some of the new specialty restaurants on board the Quantum do have a mandatory dress code in general RCCL does NOT have a mandatory dress code. Rather RCCL only has "Suggested Guidelines" and specifically states that on its website. Thus the reason it's not enforced. it's not enforced. Here's the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Edited by xxoocruiser