Rhyme and Reason for Residency Rates

cindivan

Residency rates confuse me. In all the years we have cruised we often find RR for NC, but not for my parents in MO. So we play the put this person in that person's room and deal with the keys on board, but it makes me wonder. So here are my questions for anyone that wants to take a stab at them.

It seems that states that have ports in them, especially Florida, often get extremely low rates as the sailing date approaches. My guess is that is because they know they can fill the extra rooms with FL residents and they don't want to drop their pants on the prices for everyone because so many people are waiting for last minute deals and this way they encourage everyone else to book early. Is that a correct assumption?

What states are typically offered residency rates besides the last minute ones?We can usually get a NC resident rate- what other states are regularly offered resident rates? Why are those states chosen?

My best guess is anyone that is a reasonable 1 day drive is more likely to get a resident rate. St. Louis (for example) is ~1200 miles away from FLL, which is more than 14 hours, and not really a 1 day drive.

If I can drive to a port I have more money available for the cruise itself. If I have to fly the means I am more likely to spend less on the cruise itself. This is probably why San Juan cruises are cheaper than those out of Florida, as it always costs more to get there (and I'm guessing they couldn't fill a boat with SJ residents).

Ontario always seems to have the most residency discounts available.

Currently there are 86 cruises with an Ontario residence discount and only 37 for Florida.

It's not about how close you live to the port. They take care of that with the huge last minute discounts that they know the Florida residents will snap up as they don't have airfare to worry about.

It is about being able to target a specific number of people and offer them a discount without allowing the population at large the opportunity to call in and get a price reduction or an upgrade. They can also tell cruise by cruise how many people from each state are booked on that cruise. They can then offer a discount to a state that has very few people alrady booked knowing that not a lot of passengers will be able to take advantage of it.

When they look at residency rate outside of final payment they probably look at how many that are already booked are eligible to request the reduction. The use of residency rates allows the cruise lines to control the number of reduced rates cabins they offer without having to offer it to everyone.