Regal M424 is an obstructed view

shamda

Just got off the Regal Princess today. Our cabin was M424 directly under the Seaview Bar. I was very upset to find out once on board that the balcony had an obstructed view. i like to take pictures from my balcony and I could not do it this time as the overhang from the bottom of the Bar was directly on top of me. Could not see the stars in the sky. It would have been nice to know this before booking. I never would have booked this cabin. Just a warning to those of you that are thinking of booking this cabin or the ones close to it.

Having a cover over your balcony isn't the same as having an obstructed view. Not even close.

I'm a little confused as to why you picked this cabin if you wanted, as you say, a sky view? The deck plans/ship photos clearly show the Seaview Bar jutting out over midship balconies.

Every balcony on Marina deck, just like Riviera or Aloha deck on other ships, has a deep overhang over the balcony. Nothing unusual nor obstructed. I'm very surprised your TA led you to believe otherwise or didn't explain this when you booked if you specifically said you wanted to see the stars. Even with an overhang, you can do so.

Edited by Pam in CA

I did research it but since the ship is new there was not much out on it. I saw a picture that did not show any obstruction, but did not realize it was the other side of the ship. This was not just a overhang. This was an obstruction. Here is a picture.

15353110443_4ccd93971a_b.jpg

I did research it but since the ship is new there was not much out on it. I saw a picture that did not show any obstruction, but did not realize it was the other side of the ship. This was not just a overhang. This was an obstruction. Here is a picture.

It is pretty ominous, the Royal is identical and has been out over a year.

Sorry but an obstruction would be straight out line of sight.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Can someone explain how the obstructed deluxe balconies on the Emerald Deck are obstructed. We have booked E409 and I have looked at Renmar's site and he lists those cabins as not having obstruction.

What is their obstuction if anyone knows? I like the location. And it is over Facets, which should not be that noisy.As it is a jewelry shop. Some squeals of delight, I guess.

It was a great price. The balcony is very big. I am very happy with it, I just wanted to know if anyone did.

We are looking forward to sailing on the Regal. Everything I read seems to be good. Or not very bad.

AmberTeka:

The 'obstruction' depends on the location of your cabin, but for the most part it's referring to the lifeboat davits, tenders, and the lifeboats themselves, the latter which rise to a level of just below the balcony handrail.

Some that are labelled as 'obstructed' may have the view obstructed when looking directly forward or aft by the row of lifeboats, but not straight out toward the horizon, as is the case for those amidship under the SeaWalk and SeaView Bar, and your cabin E409.

Here are some pictures that might also help...

14903884121_32f7a8eac1_c.jpg

14903884111_2dc23b37b7_c.jpg

11270532324_72bcd23d40_c.jpg

11270183373_9b6d80a4d6_c.jpg

11270593264_788175a134_c.jpg

11270339253_1552d2e601_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Sorry, but that is not an obstruction. Obstructed views on Princess ships are cabins where you can see directly out of you cabin or balcony. Some common obstructions are lifeboats and metal balcony railings rather than the blue glass. Although a bit more than other ships, most cabins just below the Lido deck have overhangs like that. We liked our Riviera deck balcony overhang that extended at least nine feet from the cabin wall. Provided better shade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There will always be something found to complain about. We have been on both the Royal and Regal and really like what changes have been made especially in the dining areas such as HC, Bistro, and Alfredo's.

I have tried to find something really important to find wrong with these new ships but.........alas, I really can't.

It's funny how everyone's point of view is different. We went on the Regal in November. Having done so we booked an obstructed view cabin in February, E425. I mean some consider it obstructed including princess. Me? I think I got a great balcony, larger than most and it was priced less. Be happy folks and enjoy the cruises.

shamda, you have my sympathy. I would not have been happy with that balcony view at all, although I admit I think my pre-cruise research would have kept me away! This location may not fall under the true definition of "obstructed," but it darn sure is an obstructed view. I'm pretty sure you weren't just looking to complain or expecting compensation. Hopefully, as you said, your post will be helpful to others and prevent someone from booking this location.

• Like 1

A couple more pictures showing the amidship area under SeaWalk and over Facets, as well as those balcony cabins forward of that area...

11543299696_4732402921_c.jpg

11532433574_630ae5d5a4_c.jpg

Thank you so much. I can see the extension of the balcony wall, and that is what was listed as an obstruction.........the angle of that wall. I can see our cabin. WHO HOO.

that is MUCH better than I expected. I am delighted with that cabin.

The only balcony we have ever been unhappy with was an upgrade to a mini suite, where there was little shade. My husband and I, who live in Florida, and he is a native, avoic daylight sunlight in large amouts as we get so much anyway. And yes, we are lucky but worry about skin cancer. The Cabin was perfect. totally perfect. not much to complain about even there.

It is hard to have a bad cruise on Princess. I think if they put us in a lifeboat tender, gave us some blankets and a pillow....still better than not being on the cruise.