Unlimited Passport Collection

wenjoyjack

Oceania tours use buses -- unless you opt for the smaller passenger limit (I think the maximum is 16 passengers, but you pay more for the same tour). In general Oceania's tours are expensive.

Many of us find it more beneficial to book our own tours. We form up small groups from passengers who post here. That is what DH and I usually do, but we have sometimes taken ship's tours.

Some people are adamant that ship's tours are horrid ... but I myself don't go that far! I prefer smaller groups which is why I prefer in general to do independent touring but there ARE times when we prefer a ship's tour.

If you do not feel comfortable going out on your own (there are arguments pro and con here), then a ship's tour is the way to go. And using the passport collection is a way to reduce costs.

(Our personal experience with ship's tours has been positive, other than the large groups. We've had a few lemon guides on ship's tours, but that has happened on occasion as well with a private tour.)

Good luck in making your decision.

Mura

If you truly plan to take a ship's tour in every port, and if you can occasionally schedule two tours on one day (it happens every once in a while, and if you don't schedule any premium tours (they cost more even above the unlimited amount), and if you schedule the most expensive tours without going over into the premium tours, and if you don't miss any tours because you're tired or ill, then the unlimited passport can be a good deal.

I worked it out for the World Cruise where the unlimited passport cost over $11,000, and taking the most expensive available tours in every port came to about $14,000. But, I know many of the ports are "do it yourself", and through the Roll Call I booked at least 14 private tours at a good savings, it was more cost effective for us to choose the 25% discount level. That involves a certain number of ship tours (varies by cruise) to get the 25% discount. The number on the World Cruise was 25 tours; I ended up booking 29 or 30 so I had a bit of a cushion in case I decided to cancel a couple or more and still stay above the 25 level.

I did sign up for the unlimited passport on a 7 day Alaska tour, but they had a special 2-for-1 deal, and the unlimited cost just half as much. It still was somewhat difficult to justify.

If the tours involve driving from place to place they are in coaches, but they try not to fill the coach. Still, if there are slow movers, or habitually late returners, it can take a lot longer and you'll see less than a private tour. Some of the tours involve boats, walking or even trains for part of the trip; it isn't always on a coach.

Whatever has un limited passport collection the title of this thread got to do with shore excursions ?

Okay, so I can see you are not an Oceania cruiser, so why on this thread. The "unlimited passport collection" is a term for one of the package deals for shore excursions on the "O" cruises. There are a few different "deals" that give you a discount for bundling shore excursions. Experienced "O" cruisers know you can do better by booking private tours, if you can network with other cruisers ( go to your roll calls, people!) and if you are willing to take a minimal risk. On my next cruise, Western Med, I don't mind a slight risk of missing the boat because it's relatively easy to get to the next port. On my past cruise, Alaska, I stuck with the ships tours. I am not spending the night in the cold with a bunch of brown bears.

Edited by kekilia

I have been offered it because we have been ripped off (Ozzie expression) paying $10,00o more for a cabin than the next person. So I am trying to ask if there is value in taking this. First time Oceania cruisers. Quite scared by this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you Mura. Have already booked tours with lovely other cruisers as we have done before with other cruise lines. We much prefer to meet with other lovely cruisers and share tours. We have only ever taken one cruise line tour because we could not get off the ship unless we took this tour. This is our first Oceania cruise so learning. Thank you

Thank you Mura. Have already booked tours with lovely other cruisers as we have done before with other cruise lines. We much prefer to meet with other lovely cruisers and share tours. We have only ever taken one cruise line tour because we could not get off the ship unless we took this tour. This is our first Oceania cruise so learning. Thank you

News flash -- some of the cruisers on the bus tours are lovely too!!! LOL

Edited by Toranut97

:D and there a some lemons that spoil private tours too.[/Q

Both are true. Most importantly with a bus load of 30 of your BF you will not have time to see anything in depth and too much time shopping if that's your thing.

Personally there is nothing like a private tour or with preparation doing the ports on your own. The savings of the O tour packages are only worthit if you plan to take all the bus excursions. On our very first cruise we booked the package and ditched it after the first two days.

Thh is is a case of how much togetherness one can tolerate......

In general I have to say that we've been pretty lucky with our fellow "tourers" both on ship's tours and DIY tours. But there are never any guarantees that you're going to love everybody else on a tour -- or that they will love YOU.

(I remember one couple on a Renaissance tour in Feb '00 that was 10-15 minutes getting back to the bus at every single stop.)

Mura

I have been offered it because we have been ripped off (Ozzie expression) paying $10,00o more for a cabin than the next person. So I am trying to ask if there is value in taking this. First time Oceania cruisers. Quite scared by this.

Ah. If you're getting it for nothing, then don't worry about the value. Just grab it and use it as little or as much as you like. I thought you were asking if it is worth purchasing.

But, Lynn is right. If you already have some other tour plans, and if you prefer private tours, and if you don't anticipate using the excursion program to the max, then try to negotiate something else. Onboard credit, to use as you like, would be best, and you can see the immediate value. If the best you can do is the excursion package, then take it, it's better than nothing.

I am curious how you're paying $10,000 more than other folks, though...are things that much different in Aussie land?

In defense of Oceania tours: we took a "5 excursion minimum" package deal (not the unlimited) on the Mayan Mystique cruise because we wanted to do the expensive chartered flight to Tikal and a somewhat far away Mayan ruin in Belize. We were on 2 big and 3 small buses, nobody was ever late and all guides were excellent. Each time the groups had different participants, no duds among them.

Oceania offered us a beverage package and the unlimited passport excursion package as compensation for the very large drop in cruise fare. Unfortunately we have committed to many private tours with fellow cruisers which we would not cancel and let these people down. But we can pick up a few excursions in a few ports where we are not already committed. Loving Oceania and feeling a whole lot better!