Anniversary on cruise

luv2camp04

We will be celebrating our 29th anniversary on the second night of our cruise that leaves Feb. 28th. My question is what types of special things can we request or are available for this? Something at dinner or some other kind of special. I don't expect Celebrity to know that we are celebrating this anniversary, I am just curious what others have done on board to celebrate. GO!!!

If you booked with Celebrity direct, there is a spot on your Booking where they can / will note your Special Occasion (TAs have evidently a similar screen / field).

For an Anniversary... You most likely will get sent over one night to your Dinner (DR) a Special Cake for dessert with "Happy Anniversary" written on it... And no doubt be invited to the Captain's Milestones Celebration... A Reception for Newlyweds / Hneymooners, those celebrating an Anniversary, Birthday or Retirement (that is IF your booking noted the event)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Both DH & I have had birthdays & 2 anniversary's while on the ship all of which were noted on our reservation. The only cake we got was for DH's birthday and the day before the birthday I asked the MaitreD in Blu if we could get a cake - no problem he said. Next night no cake, he forgot so we got it a day late:rolleyes:.

The couple of items in Sloops post pretty much sum up what you can expect: Cake with possible waiters' singing and invite to newlywed/anniversary reception.

But there have been numerous posts on these boards from couples who have been deeply disappointed because Celebrity did not acknowledge their anniversary even though it was noted on their reservation. It seems that their system for tracking anniversaries or birthdays does not always work well and even when reminded the dining room staff frequently forget. So my advice is not to take their forgetfulness or system deficiencies personally. If you'd like the acknowledgement take a few steps after you board: Check in with guest relations on embarkation day to let them know you're celebrating your anniversary and ask them about the reception and what the ship does to help you celebrate. If you'd like the cake after dinner then ask your waiter or one of the restaurant managers about this a day in advance and then remind them again that night and once again if they ask to take a regular dessert order. I know this sounds repetitive but if it is important to you then it is better to remind them than to be disappointed.

I think the best anniversary celebration would be one you plan yourselves. Treat yourselves to a bottle of champagne in a nice lounge like the Ensemble lounge on the S class or Cellar Masters if the ship you're sailing still has that lounge. Also consider dinner at a specialty restaurant on your special night.

It was my husbands birthday on our cruise in September. He had made me promise not to say anything to X as no way did he want the waiting staff to sing Happy Birthday to him, which we have seen happen quite often! I had taken cards with us and we put these up in our room. I'd booked Murano for that evening and had difficulty getting the time that we wanted. The Maitre d' asked it it was a special occasion, I said well yes, but my husband didn't want any fuss. Low and behold, when we had finished our main course the Maitre d' came over and said that they had an extra special dessert on that night that he'd be grateful if we tried. Although we were full, and were going to opt for something light we said okay. Not only did they bring out the most spectacular dessert I have ever seen, but when we had finished they also produced a beautiful, decorated cake, which said Happy Birthday on it. Now I hadn't said what the occasion was, but someone had clearly done some investigating! And it didn't end there. When we got back to our room, there was a birthday card from the Captains Club and a voucher for a complimentary meal in Bistro on 5. Don't know whether it was Murano or our room steward who arranged everything, but we were both absolutely thrilled that someone would go to so much trouble. Well done X!!

The couple of items in Sloops post pretty much sum up what you can expect: Cake with possible waiters' singing and invite to newlywed/anniversary reception.

But there have been numerous posts on these boards from couples who have been deeply disappointed because Celebrity did not acknowledge their anniversary even though it was noted on their reservation. It seems that their system for tracking anniversaries or birthdays does not always work well and even when reminded the dining room staff frequently forget. So my advice is not to take their forgetfulness or system deficiencies personally. If you'd like the acknowledgement take a few steps after you board: Check in with guest relations on embarkation day to let them know you're celebrating your anniversary and ask them about the reception and what the ship does to help you celebrate. If you'd like the cake after dinner then ask your waiter or one of the restaurant managers about this a day in advance and then remind them again that night and once again if they ask to take a regular dessert order. I know this sounds repetitive but if it is important to you then it is better to remind them than to be disappointed.

I think the best anniversary celebration would be one you plan yourselves. Treat yourselves to a bottle of champagne in a nice lounge like the Ensemble lounge on the S class or Cellar Masters if the ship you're sailing still has that lounge. Also consider dinner at a specialty restaurant on your special night.

I totally understand about the make shift computer system they have. Honestly if you get your 123-go perk, paid gratuities and OBC without their system deleting it you probably should count your blessings. However I think the point of the celebration is the fact that the cruise line acknowledged it with out having to jump through hoops. When I booked my 25th anniversary cruise I didn't even mention it. The Celebrity Rep asked me if I was celebrating an event. I told him and he marked it in my reservation. The next day they asked me to fill out a survey about my booking experience. One of the questions on the survey was, "Did the CSR ask if you were celebrating a special occasion"? If they are going to go through all of this trouble at booking they need to find a better way to follow through. Maybe they should do what they do on Princess. Princess leaves a special occasion post card in your room on embarkation day. You bring that post card to any dining room on any night and hand it to the waiter. They bring the cake during dessert. Personally I could care less about the balloons on the door or the singing but the cake is delicious.

As Lsimon said the tracking of special occasions doesn't seem to work. We just completed a cruise on Reflection on Saturday. Our anniversary was noted on our reservation but we did not receive any type of acknowledgement from Celebrity. Make your own plans/party is the best advice.

[attach]333391[/attach]

Our TA made sure that X knew we were having our 20th Anniversary on Valentine's Day. We were invited to a Honeymoon/Anniversary Party and were also given a cake in Murano on Valentine's Day.

That cake is beautiful, Jane. I've only ever seen the chocolate ones.

...I think the point of the celebration is the fact that the cruise line acknowledged it with out having to jump through hoops...

I agree 100%. But on the other hand I've read several posts on these boards over the last year by people who sounded heartbroken that their special event was not acknowledged despite it being noted on their record. Better to jump through hoops if it is that important to someone than to take the chance on being disappointed. In the posts above one can read of the two extremes of extra effort by the staff to complete lack of acknowledgement. Most cases will be in the middle with a special occasion chocolate cake served for dessert.

Edited by Lsimon

My 60th birthday will be while we're on our next cruise. I really do NOT want the singing at dinner, but I wouldn't object to an acknowledgment. I've decided that I'm going to call our TA and ask them to pass on the date to Celebrity. Since this is our first time with the TA, maybe they'll add a goodie!

My 60th birthday will be while we're on our next cruise. I really do NOT want the singing at dinner, but I wouldn't object to an acknowledgment. I've decided that I'm going to call our TA and ask them to pass on the date to Celebrity. Since this is our first time with the TA, maybe they'll add a goodie!

I know there have been some other examples of acknowledgement is the posts above, but the only thing that I've ever seen on board is the cake which is usually delivered by a group of singing waiters. Sometimes it is not but I've never seen them ask anyone ahead of time. So if you put it on your cruise record be ready.

We have celebrated many anniversaries on Celebrity. All classes of ships. We have never received a cake at the table but have always been invited to a Newly Wed - Anniversary party. This is by invitation only. They have a big special cake and serve champagne and mimosas. A photographer will take a picture of each couple along side the cake (for your purchase if you desire). They usually have a very nice program during this ceremony. This hasn't changed for us since our first Celebrity cruise in 1993 until last April. That's been our experience.

Agree.

If it is a BIG Deal for you... Speak up

If you are the more reserved type, then maybe the whole enchilada Celebrity public recognition is not for you / your style

In which case Celebrity does offer up other options

A nice meal in a Specialty Restaurant... Or a private celebration in your Cabin... The Celebrity Special Occasions / Celebrity Gifts Aboard pages on their website has several options:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/gifts-by-celebrity-landing

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We celebrated a birthday and a milestone anniversary on the cruise we took on the Solstice in June. Birthday was remembered in Blu with cake and well-wishes, with NO reminders to staff or waitstaff.

Anniversary was noted on the reservation through Celebrity, on the reservation with Murano, and personally noted the morning OF the reservation with the Murano maitre'd. It was completely and utterly ignored. No mention. No invite. No cake. No nothing. Also, Murano got our dessert order completely wrong. (we will NOT be dining in Murano again, for any reason)

These are really minor issues, and will not stop us from sailing Celebrity again whenever we can do it. However, if you are counting on something and have not paid for the add-on, don't get your hopes up.

Other than the minor quibble with Murano, it was a GREAT cruise, and we will be happy to sail again!

Our 20th anniversary will be celebrated on our next cruise in 2016. I only let Celebrity know because I am hoping to be at a table next to the window in the MDR. The anniversary and that MDR request are both noted in my reservation, so here's hoping! :)

It really varies so much. I don't think that Century had a honeymooner anniversary type party last year on or Hawaii cruise (or we were not invited if so.)

But when we returned to our room after a dinner at Murano the night of our anniversary, we received a small gift from the Captains Club host - a leatherette portfolio folding photo frame including a photo of Century and space on the other side for our own photo. There was also a note from the captain and a bottle of wine

Very nice memento actually. (I prefer to skip the public singing and cakes at dinner though I think it's fun and fine for other people.)