How to have a quick and easy check in?

I'm going on my first cruise with my boyfriend in a couple of days and I am worrying about having everything ready for the check in time. It would be horrible if we got there and were told we couldn't board the ship due to some silly oversight that we forgot.

We're going on the carnival spirit for 8 days and have our passports, boarding passes, immigration forms etc etc. Is there anything else we are missing/should keep in mind when checking in?

Ahh the pre cruise stress out - know it well! :D

Most cruise lines have an online check in where you print out your boarding pass before you leave home. That can speed up the check in process.

Don't forget your credit card & any foreign currency if needed, you can buy currency onboard also.

The biggest one is your passport as you can't get a copy of that quick if you leave it at home & you live far from the terminal.

Also take your insurance docs with you in case you need them as they have the contact numbers you will need to call in case of an emergency claim.

Have a great cruise!

Sounds like you have already done it, but many don't. My advice is to read the paperwork they send out by email etc, and also read the terms and conditions on the cruise company website.

The only thing I think you have missed, but that might be different on Carnival compared to Royal Caribbean, is the credit card as Avalon has said. This is if you choose to have your on-board account covered by credit card, but it can be a cash account also if you choose. At the check in they will also give you a health check form, from our experience, and it is a good idea to have a pen with you.

First few cruises we printed off all the instructions and crossed of things as we put them in a plastic sleeve folder. We don't always do that now, but we still have a read through as some things do change.

Now all our main information & stuff like the pass you print off from checking in on line is in a plastic sleeve still. For on the ship we like to print off a deck plan. We have that as a fun part of any new ship as we make sure we cross of all bars and entertainment areas as we go there during the cruise. It was really annoying on our second cruise to find we had not realised some places were even on the ship the first cruise we did! The ships are big places :)

I would say if you have the things you listed, you have yourself ready for check in.

I've decided to just put cash on the account as I don't trust myself to have my debit card linked to it. if I need more I'll just put it on but that way I know how much I'm spending.

we've also printed out the health form to fill out before we check in, extra luggage tags etc. I think we've covered everything, our travel agent has been fantastic. everything is in plastic sleeves also.

Checking off the instructions and crossing them off is a good idea, I've looked over the fact sheet about 10 times just in case I've forgotten anything :P, I think we're good!

Thanks guys, we'll have a wonderful time I'm sure!

Make sure you check the list of Banned items, because while this won't affect your checkin, you will find that your luggage won't arrive at your room and it may be because you have something in your bags you shouldn't have. The cruise website should have a list of items you cannot bring on board. Common things include powerboards, irons, weapons etc. I kmow it's different for all companies but definitely check this before you go!

I've decided to just put cash on the account

Thats ok but expect to stand in a long que at the end of your cruise to get a refund of any left over money, load a debit card then you cannot over spend and you dont have to stand in line, there should be computer terminals where you can swipe your cruise card to keep an eye on your spending, P&O have them.

Make copies of your passport and any travel docs and give them to a friend at home, and of course you have travel insurance ?

Dont put sharp objects like scissors in your carry on bag, put stuff like that in your main checked suitcase, they should take your main suitcase from you at check in and deliver it to your cabin, check the prohibited items list first.

Also I take a small roll of sticky tape, just to make sure the luggage labels they give you on the last night are securely attached, I guess all ships do this but on P&O they ask your to put your main bag outside your cabin on the last night for collection so you have to think carefully what you want to wear and carry with you the next morning.

Edited by 6666oz

I've decided to just put cash on the account as I don't trust myself to have my debit card linked to it. if I need more I'll just put it on but that way I know how much I'm spending.

we've also printed out the health form to fill out before we check in, extra luggage tags etc. I think we've covered everything, our travel agent has been fantastic. everything is in plastic sleeves also.

Checking off the instructions and crossing them off is a good idea, I've looked over the fact sheet about 10 times just in case I've forgotten anything :P, I think we're good!

Hadn't thought of doing this in the past, but might grab a few spares. Do they use the same forms each time?

I asked our TA to give us blank immigration (outgoing) passenger cards, filled them out before we got to the airport, only to find they'd updated them :o

Edited by Kinkacruiser

We just got back from a Carnival Spirit cruise last week. If you are going on a South Pacific cruise you don't really need foreign currency. Mystery Island and Isle of Pines accept Aus Dollars in the market stalls and for tour bookings. The gift shop on the beach on the Isle of Pines only accept French Pacific Francs but they do accept Mastercard and Visa so I used my Citibank card. Most shops in Port Denarau and Suva accept Aus Dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cruisine21

Hmmm I thought quick and easy check in in in Sydney was dependent upon the wearing of an "I Love Graham" Tee Shirt

regards

John :p

I'm told he is always in the inn, instant intoxicated insanity often results in an incapable inability to incorporate incoherent Inaneness into the check-in process.

Such is his infamy. :p

:cool:

I'm told he is always in the inn, instant intoxicated insanity often results in an incapable inability to incorporate incoherent Inaneness into the check-in process.

Such is his infamy. :p

:cool:

What are you on Rabbitoh?????? Then again if you follow South Sydney, as your name implies, I think I know:eek::eek: (Might have to wait another forty three years;);) )

What are you on Rabbitoh?????? Then again if you follow South Sydney, as your name implies, I think I know:eek::eek: (Might have to wait another forty three years;);) )

Still more premierships than anyone else, just giving the poor dears a chance to catch up.

It would not matter if you register a credit or debit card or cash as this is purely the method of paying for whatever you spend, and that is up to you ( and your willpower:D ). With Carnival you have to pay cash up front when you check in.

You will not need a health form as they do not collect them as they just ask you at check in how you are feeling:confused::confused:

It would not matter if you register a credit or debit card or cash as this is purely the method of paying for whatever you spend, and that is up to you ( and your willpower:D ). With Carnival you have to pay cash up front when you check in.

You will not need a health form as they do not collect them as they just ask you at check in how you are feeling:confused::confused:

What do you mean by 'with Carnival you have to pay cash upfront when you check in'? Can you give an indication of how much for an 8 nighter?

We are used to topping up at pursers desk one or two days into the cruise, and then whenever we choose from then on.....not on check in. We do however register the credit card to cover for emergencies (like excess perfume:)). Asking cos son will prob be a cash only cruiser.

What do you mean by 'with Carnival you have to pay cash upfront when you check in'? Can you give an indication of how much for an 8 nighter?

We are used to topping up at pursers desk one or two days into the cruise, and then whenever we choose from then on.....not on check in. We do however register the credit card to cover for emergencies (like excess perfume:)). Asking cos son will prob be a cash only cruiser.

To be honest, I do not know how much you need to put on your account at check in, I think it may be up to the individual, but I know they they do collect cash at check in,which is designed I guess, to save the crew on board from having to do it. Carnival Aust is the only cruiseline in Oz to do this.