Things to do/see on this island!

jmcookiemonster25

Hello! I am going on a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise soon and one of our stops is St. Thomas (I assume this is the US Virgin Islands St Thomas).

First, were do we dock? I would hate to get excited about a particular thing to do and find out it's a long drive to get there.

I am looking for activities to do while we're there! I will tell you a little about ourselves.

We aren't huge beach go-ers, but if a beach is a must see spot then please share your favorites!

We aren't into shopping of any kind. No interest in coffee/tea.

We aren't into scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming with exotic animals, etc.

We do however like tours, by bus or by small boat. I also want to try zip lining!

Thanks in advance for your information, I am so excited for this trip as I have not been to any of the 4 stops before!

The Gem seems to be anchored in the harbor on the 17th. You will be tendered to the waterfront in town. Too bad you don't want to shop, because some of the nicest shops are right there. ;) You will be able to get a taxi when you get off the tender, take an island tour. If you want to do zip lining, you will need to make reservations, either through the ship or call them direct.

[quote name='O2B@Cagain']The Gem seems to be anchored in the harbor on the 17th. You will be tendered to the waterfront in town. Too bad you don't want to shop, because some of the nicest shops are right there. ;) You will be able to get a taxi when you get off the tender, take an island tour. If you want to do zip lining, you will need to make reservations, either through the ship or call them direct.[/QUOTE]

Souvenirs are okay, just not into jewelry, perfume, clothing, etc.

Thank you for the info on zip lining. I didn't realize that!

Tree Limin' is the company in St. Thomas you can zip line through. Some cruise ships have a contract with them so, you may have to go through the ship to book. If not or if you just want to check it out, here is their link.

[url]http://ziplinestthomas.com[/url]

We have spent 3 land vacations in St. Thomas because of its beaches, but there are other things to do. Paradise Point may be of interest to you. It has an amazing view from the top and is located near the dock. My DH does not like the tram up the hill, but I did. You can take a cab if you would rather. Zip lining does not take too long and you could easily have your cab/taxi driver take you here afterwards.

Or you could just take a tour of the island. On our first visit (we were on a cruise that time) we booked an island tour through Sunny Liston. We had a great time. He hits many of the top sight seeing stops with a little bit of shopping and a little beach time. [url]http://sunnylistontours.com[/url]

If you have any questions, I will try to help you. Enjoy St. Thomas.

[quote name='jmcookiemonster25']Hello! I am going on a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise soon and one of our stops is St. Thomas (I assume this is the US Virgin Islands St Thomas).

First, were do we dock? I would hate to get excited about a particular thing to do and find out it's a long drive to get there.

I am looking for activities to do while we're there! I will tell you a little about ourselves.

We aren't huge beach go-ers, but if a beach is a must see spot then please share your favorites!

We aren't into shopping of any kind. No interest in coffee/tea.

We aren't into scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming with exotic animals, etc.

We do however like tours, by bus or by small boat. I also want to try zip lining!

Thanks in advance for your information, I am so excited for this trip as I have not been to any of the 4 stops before![/quote]

delete please Edited by caribsun

[quote name='2PinaColadas']Tree Limin' is the company in St. Thomas you can zip line through. Some cruise ships have a contract with them so, you may have to go through the ship to book. If not or if you just want to check it out, here is their link.

[url]http://ziplinestthomas.com[/url]

We have spent 3 land vacations in St. Thomas because of its beaches, but there are other things to do. Paradise Point may be of interest to you. It has an amazing view from the top and is located near the dock. My DH does not like the tram up the hill, but I did. You can take a cab if you would rather. Zip lining does not take too long and you could easily have your cab/taxi driver take you here afterwards.

Or you could just take a tour of the island. On our first visit (we were on a cruise that time) we booked an island tour through Sunny Liston. We had a great time. He hits many of the top sight seeing stops with a little bit of shopping and a little beach time. [url]http://sunnylistontours.com[/url]

If you have any questions, I will try to help you. Enjoy St. Thomas.[/QUOTE]

Paradise point sounds great! I checked out that zip line website and my cruise line wasn't listed. I also see the tour takes a long time, and that we have to reserve and pay in full ahead of time. I don't like doing that, it only causes us to panic and rush to be there on time. I heard that the Caribbean is full of zip lining places so I will keep looking, but thank you for taking the time to give me this info!!

I see you're sailing in a couple days.
Paradise Point is a favorite spot to enjoy at the end of your day, you can taxi or team up and down.
STT is a great beach destination, butbsince you're not interested in beaches or snorkeling and are more interested in touring you can take one of the "cookie cutter" tours offered through the ship.
To do something a bit more interesting consider the Champagne Cat to STJ, also offered through the ship.
Ship excursions cost more but you don't have much time to plan independent excursions. There are several ships in port with you so most beaches and other areas will be crowded, and the Champagne cat would be a great choice if still available.

[quote name='blue_water']I see you're sailing in a couple days.
Paradise Point is a favorite spot to enjoy at the end of your day, you can taxi or team up and down.
STT is a great beach destination, butbsince you're not interested in beaches or snorkeling and are more interested in touring you can take one of the "cookie cutter" tours offered through the ship.
To do something a bit more interesting consider the Champagne Cat to STJ, also offered through the ship.
Ship excursions cost more but you don't have much time to plan independent excursions. There are several ships in port with you so most beaches and other areas will be crowded, and the Champagne cat would be a great choice if still available.[/quote]

How about coral world aquarium and then a quick stop at the beach next door. In pricing it out the ships excursion is only a couple of dollars more than going there independently with taxis. Coral World also has a bunch of extra $ activities such as snuba, helmet diving etc which you can also book through the ship. The good thing is if you change your mind the ship generally has more of liberal cancellation policy than individual vendors as well as guarenteeing you make the ship. This is not as much of an issue on St Thomas where there are plenty of taxis and generally fairly long port days.( unless you go over to St John and miss the ferry, lol)

I can also recommend Godfrey tours if you want a general overview of the island. We enjoyed his general tour (without the beach) last year. Last year he did not require deposit but has changed the tour around this year and not sure if he requires deposit now.

[quote name='blue_water']I see you're sailing in a couple days.
Ship excursions cost more but you don't have much time to plan independent excursions. There are several ships in port with you so most beaches and other areas will be crowded, and the Champagne cat would be a great choice if still available.[/QUOTE]

I never said I wasn't interested in beaches. I said we aren't HUGE beach go-ers. We definitely want to hit a few beaches during our trip.

We definitely won't be doing any tours through the ship, way to expensive. Tours are fine, but also just going places on our own is great too.

[quote name='jmcookiemonster25']I never said I wasn't interested in beaches. I said we aren't HUGE beach go-ers. We definitely want to hit a few beaches during our trip.

We definitely won't be doing any tours through the ship, way to expensive. Tours are fine, but also just going places on our own is great too.[/quote]

You said you are not huge beach goers or snorkelers so a beach would not be the first recommendation based on that. It's hard to make good recommendations when you post the same questions on all of the forums 2 days before you leave.

For PP you can usually buy roundtrip tram tickets at your excursions desks.
We'd go to Sapphire Beach then hit PP before returning to the ship.

I see you're going to Tortola and I made a recopmmendation there.
For SXM we'd walk Philipsburg then take the Golden Eagle cat sail, one of our favorites.
sailingsxm.com

You will be on island on a very busy day. Most people enjoy the standard island tours offered by the taxi drivers at the dock which usually start in town for about 2 hours. During that time you can shop at Captain's Corner, blue tents Vendors' Plaza, or Del Sol for souvenirs. You can also do a self-guided historical walking tour that are posted online. You can take beautiful photos in town.

After town, you get in a vehicle and have a narrated tour to the scenic outlooks and maybe some other stops depending on the driver. The tour will take you to a beach after the narrated tour for about 2 hours. On a busy day, you might want to find a tour going to Emerald Beach if you don't want snorkeling. It's near the airport so you might see a plane or 2 flying overhead, but nothing like St Marten. Chairs, food, drinks available at additional cost. Driver picks you up after your beach break and takes you back to the ship.

You can join a tour with others, or depending on the size of your group, reserve or request private tour.

Tour prices are approximately $35 pp.

[quote name='Ms411']You will be on island on a very busy day. Most people enjoy the standard island tours offered by the taxi drivers at the dock which usually start in town for about 2 hours. During that time you can shop at Captain's Corner, blue tents Vendors' Plaza, or Del Sol for souvenirs. You can also do a self-guided historical walking tour that are posted online. You can take beautiful photos in town.

After town, you get in a vehicle and have a narrated tour to the scenic outlooks and maybe some other stops depending on the driver. The tour will take you to a beach after the narrated tour for about 2 hours. On a busy day, you might want to find a tour going to Emerald Beach if you don't want snorkeling. It's near the airport so you might see a plane or 2 flying overhead, but nothing like St Marten. Chairs, food, drinks available at additional cost. Driver picks you up after your beach break and takes you back to the ship.

You can join a tour with others, or depending on the size of your group, reserve or request private tour.

Tour prices are approximately $35 pp.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info!!!

You're welcome. Somebody in another thread recommended Godfrey as an excellent guide and provided his contact info as well as review/details. If he isn't available, he should be able to put you in contact with someone else if a tour is what you want to do.