Onboard expenses w/o credit or debit card?

Gratuities, drinks, excursions, gifts & souvenirs in the ship's stores, pictures, etc. An absolute minimum of a couple hundred $$ if you haven't prepaid gratuities - from there its totally up to you. It's not all that difficult to get over $1000 per couple with a couple excursions, a few drinks each day & a few pictures.

Enough $$$ to cover whatever your onboard expenses may be. You will have to put down an amount at check-in, usually a few hundred, then if you get close to your amount or go over, guest services will call you to come out more $$ down for future expenses...if you are not prompt about adding to your account, they will suspend charging services on your card until you bring up to date and put down more for future purchases. If you do not settle your account before departure, your card will be flagged and you'll not be able to leave the ship till settled.

It's not a great idea to have large amounts of cash on you, but if you absolutely must pay on cash, then you'll want more than you think you will spend to cover any eventualities. For a seven night cruise, and absolute minimum of $1000 would be a starting point. If toubdomr see d it all, obviously you get it back at the end of the cruise.

Enough $$$ to cover whatever your onboard expenses may be. You will have to put down an amount at check-in, usually a few hundred, then if you get close to your amount or go over, guest services will call you to come out more $$ down for future expenses...if you are not prompt about adding to your account, they will suspend charging services on your card until you bring up to date and put down more for future purchases. If you do not settle your account before departure, your card will be flagged and you'll not be able to leave the ship till settled.

It's not a great idea to have large amounts of cash on you, but if you absolutely must pay on cash, then you'll want more than you think you will spend to cover any eventualities. For a seven night cruise, and absolute minimum of $1000 would be a starting point. If toubdomr see d it all, obviously you get it back at the end of the cruise.

How much is needed to put down at check in? $250? $500?

How much is needed to put down at check in? $250? $500?

On my first cruise I used cash abd did not have to put cash down, but my balance was below $500. It is my understanding that you can spend a certain amount before you have to go to guest services and pay. They will also give you a refund of any you pay but don't spend.

You do not have to put anything down. You can charge up to $500 before being required to pay down the bill.

Exactly! I usually put $100 down, and adjust accordingly during the cruise. Btw you do it on the ship and not at check in!

Edited by Topo Gigio

We have used cash for our last 4 cruises. We have never been told there is a minimum to put down on the cabin. I think on the Allure recently we put like $200 on the first day. Twice we have just paid the rest of the bill (if we went over) in cash and two other times I've used my debit card as a credit card and had no issues at all. We do not book any excursions via the ship so that's never been an issue for us.

Enjoy...:)

You will hear many people on here say don't use a debit card. I just got off Indy on Dec 6, using my debit card. When I got off, I had mo holds or charges on my account other than what my cruise receipt. You should check with your financial institution to see how they will handle holds before deciding.

BTW, this was my third cruise this year using my debit card with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will hear many people on here say don't use a debit card. I just got off Indy on Dec 6, using my debit card. When I got off, I had mo holds or charges on my account other than what my cruise receipt. You should check with your financial institution to see how they will handle holds before deciding.

BTW, this was my third cruise this year using my debit card with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same here. I have used it on every cruise and never a problem. I do however have a separate account from my regular account that I use just for the cruise so that if something does get messed up it won't affect my main checking account. I work for a bank and I will tell you that if using your debit or credit card notify your bank about your itnerary so that they don't place a hold on your card for suspected unusual activity.

When i called RC about that they said $500. To me seems like alot of money upfront

That's so not the case. We have done 19 RC cruises and always pay by cash. I have never been told that I had to put down a certain amount. We do cruises of all lengths and I have never put down more than $200. We do typically have our TA pay our gratuities. If not then I would simply add more.

Edited by cruisingsince94

Thank you Pennie and MikeJ....same here. We've never had any issues with using our debit card onboard and there have never been any holds. Thank you for confirming our exact experiences. (Sorry to the OP, I know your post was sailing WITHOUT a credit or debit card and it can be done with no problems.)

:p

Edited by Esmerelda

Im confused anyway cos one person told me $500 with refund on unused and another said 500 with no refund so i did credit acc and will pay it by cash the last night.

I sail in January on the Mariner

I'm sorry that some of the replies caused you confusion. ANY cash deposit YOU put down up front is refunded to you if not used up during your cruise.

The only situation where you would not get a "refund" is if your booked under a promotion where the cruise line provides you on-board credit to use during your cruise. Any amount of that credit not used is non-refundable.

CASH you put toward your account is ALWAYS refundable.

We have sailed Mariner twice and enjoyed it both times. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

We were on Indy last month & used a cash account. You do not have to put ANY money up front - the $500 is the maximum amount you can charge to your SeaPass account before you have to go to Guest Services & make a payment. In other words, $500 is the maximum amount of credit RCI will extend on that cash account.

I stopped by Guest Services on day 5 and paid the balance off, and left a debit card for additional charges. We too haven't had any problems using a debit card on multiple cruises.

I'm sorry that some of the replies caused you confusion. ANY cash deposit YOU put down up front is refunded to you if not used up during your cruise.

The only situation where you would not get a "refund" is if your booked under a promotion where the cruise line provides you on-board credit to use during your cruise. Any amount of that credit not used is non-refundable.

We have sailed Mariner twice and enjoyed it both times. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Oh this is what RCI staff told me when I emailed and called.

I wanted cash account so I don't have to worry about credit card fees.

I got so confused so chose credit card acc on my online check in and on the last day i'll pay it off with cash.

You def have made me feel better about it though :) thanks heaps

Thanks for your reply.

Put down cash upfront is required or it is optional?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We used cash on our last cruise. When the balance owing approached $500 we got a call to clear it. However we had a $200 OBC so actually owed less than $300, Guest Services changed the notification and we were fine. They did not accept my travel debit card which was loaded with USD. Subsequent to our cruise, RCI has told me they will accept "real" debit cards issued by a bank. Mine was an Ozforex travel card.

Thanks for your reply.

Put down cash upfront is required or it is optional?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is optional. If you reach $500 they will freeze your account until you go to guest services and bring it current. We just go ahead and put down a deposit so that on the last night we can go get any refund due. I hate the thought of waiting in a long line to settle up had we not done the deposit on day 1. By doing cash account we have not had to deal with the debit or credit card issues post cruise where mystery charges for the minivan magically appear.:D

Think i may change my account to cash. Does anyone know if that's possible?

There is no need to. If you currently have it listed as credit card you can still pay the account down with cash at any time on the cruise.

For example, we had a bunch of Singapore dollars left over so went to guest services and paid that onto our account which reduced our balance.

On the last night there is usually a big line so I suggest paying it earlier that day then any last minute charges, like drinks the final night, just let that get charged to your card.

Edited by BekkaW