What to do in San Juan?

kasil

I asked this on the San Juan board, but got no help. My husband, DD - 21, DS - 18, and I will be on IOS in June. We will try to see at least one of the forts on our own, but what should we do after that? Thanks.

You can just walk back through the old town from either of the two forts but I would suggest doing so from El Morro. There a free tourist board shuttle to get to both forts.

Also see the San Juan port of call thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

Edited by robtulipe

Right outside the terminal will be a lot of guys in blue shirts selling tours ( they must have the ecxclusive...LOL)

For $20pp we got the 2 hour City tour which we enjoyed very much

We were able to see a lot and learn a lot about this beautiful city.

Edited by GTO-Girl

I got a tour of the Statehouse and it's a beautiful building with lots of history. I walked from the ship docked at the old San Juan pier. It's only a 5 to 10 minute walk. Don't wear shorts but something a little more respectful like a sundress or pants. No charge for the tour and they do have security to pass through to get inside.

Last year i was there during the San Sebastian festival. Something like 1/18 to 1/25 give or take a few days. Lots of booth selling food, t-shirts, art, etc.

I have toured El Morro a few times and find something new every trip. I think they have expanded their displays and parts of the fort that is open to tour. the trolley is great to get on and off and see more.

there are some great places to eat or just sit down and have a beer.

michelle

Ship will be on one side of Old San Juan, and the biggest fort on the other side. Take a taxi to the fort (uphill) and walk back to the ship. Prior to going, get a map, and make it a walking tour. Sample some food. It can be an enjoyable inexpensive day with a lot of History to see.

We were on the IOS over Thanksgiving and did the ship sponsored Rainforest Tour. It was excellent. We generally book our own tours but this worked out perfect because the ship was only in port until 2:00pm. We drove for about 40 minutes, got to see the island while a guide talked about history and culture. The actual tour of the rainforest was beautiful and lasted about an hour in a half. We returned to Old San Juan and still had time for lunch. I highly recommend this.

We'll be in port from 4-11 pm. I'm looking for something to do after the forts close. I found a walking tour that starts at 6pm but the reviews have been mixed - either very good or very bad. Not sure I want to risk what little lime we have.

I have always gotten in around 4PM on my cruises so the food tour works as it starts at 5 or 5:30 for the dinner walking tour. Check it out on trip advisor. Stellar reviews. I've done it 3 times!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147320-d1550514-Reviews-Flavors_of_San_Juan_Food_and_Culture_Tours-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Not sure how much time you have but 2 favorites are: a self guided walking tour; and a museum stop across the street from El Morro.

The museum is Museo de las Americas (Museum of the Americas) which is located across the street from the fort on the left hand side if your back is to the fort.The building is the El Cuartel Ballaja, which is 3 or 4 stories but the museum is on the second floor. Great way to get out of the sun and heat, and learn some great history. This museum displays many exhibits, some permanent and some temporary. There are exhibits of clothing, household items, tools, musical instruments, religious objects, etc. denoting life during the conception of the Americas.There is a room dedicated to Indians in the Americas, one for Santos de Puerto Rico, and another on African Heritage. I believe the museum is closed on Mondays and the charge was $3.00 pp.

The walking tour is called the "Old San Juan Self Guided Walking Tour Part 1" which will lead you to Parts 2 and 3. Download each. Do check out the blue cobblestone streets in Old San Juan.

Have a great time!!

• 1 month later...

We just came back from AOS on a Christmas cruise. We stay in San Juan before and after the cruise. If your ship docks in Old San Juan, then try to visit Casa Bacardi and take one of their extended tours; check out their reviews on Yelp. Otherwise, you can take a short walk through Old San Juan and visit Fort El Morro for only $5/person. There's really no need to book excursions through the ship, these are really good self guided tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TonyL128

4-11 for a port stop, that's a challenge. We are there from 7 am to 2 pm next month, also a challenge.

Forts: open until 6. If you want to go to a fort, choose which one and bolt off the ship and run to the fort so you can get in and get a solid 90 minutes in one or the other of them.

Sunset: look up your cruise date on any Sunrise/Sunset calendar to see what time Sunset will be. A good place to walk around and watch for the sunset is Calle La Princessa, below the El Morro fort walls. Also gives a different view of the fort from below.

Shops: the touristy shops will probably be open later, the more artisan shops will likely close earlier. I like Ole (Panama hats, Calle Forteleza), hand blocked high quality hats, the Barquet jewelers (Calle Forteleza, 2 different ones across the street from each other, look for cute 'coqui' silver frog bracelets and bits. The Butterfly People store if you like butterflies, Linen House (textiles), Spicy Caribee (spices, hot sauces), and Puerto Rican Arts and Crafts store. Look 'em up, map 'em out, check for open hours.

After you have shopped around head to your dinner spot- pick out someplace that appeals to you and make yourself a reservation for say 8-8:30, have a leisurely dinner, then walk back to the ship.

Looking for a tour? Try one of the food walking tours that have been suggested,

Looking for nature? Book a biobay tour- they run from Fajardo, at the other end of the island, so you will be on a van/small bus for say 90 minutes each way, then kayak thorough a mangrove path to a lagoon lit up with amazing bioluminescence. Check a moon calendar to see if your day is a better one for viewing. Book this one through the ship, in case of travel delays, since you will have a solid 3 hours r/t. This is a solid excursion that is really fun, no kayaking experience required, but it helps if you at least have a basic idea of what you are doing and a small bit of coordination.

We'll be in port from 4-11 pm. I'm looking for something to do after the forts close. I found a walking tour that starts at 6pm but the reviews have been mixed - either very good or very bad. Not sure I want to risk what little lime we have.

We are doing the same cruise in July and I booked it strictly for the itinerary with the evening arrival in San Juan. We will be doing a kayak tour of the Bioluminescent Bay. I am just starting to research it, so not sure which tour operator to use, but there are a few to choose from. It sounds really cool and we are all really excited about it!!

4-11 for a port stop, that's a challenge. We are there from 7 am to 2 pm next month, also a challenge.

Forts: open until 6. If you want to go to a fort, choose which one and bolt off the ship and run to the fort so you can get in and get a solid 90 minutes in one or the other of them.

Sunset: look up your cruise date on any Sunrise/Sunset calendar to see what time Sunset will be. A good place to walk around and watch for the sunset is Calle La Princessa, below the El Morro fort walls. Also gives a different view of the fort from below.

Shops: the touristy shops will probably be open later, the more artisan shops will likely close earlier. I like Ole (Panama hats, Calle Forteleza), hand blocked high quality hats, the Barquet jewelers (Calle Forteleza, 2 different ones across the street from each other, look for cute 'coqui' silver frog bracelets and bits. The Butterfly People store if you like butterflies, Linen House (textiles), Spicy Caribee (spices, hot sauces), and Puerto Rican Arts and Crafts store. Look 'em up, map 'em out, check for open hours.

After you have shopped around head to your dinner spot- pick out someplace that appeals to you and make yourself a reservation for say 8-8:30, have a leisurely dinner, then walk back to the ship.

Looking for a tour? Try one of the food walking tours that have been suggested,

Looking for nature? Book a biobay tour- they run from Fajardo, at the other end of the island, so you will be on a van/small bus for say 90 minutes each way, then kayak thorough a mangrove path to a lagoon lit up with amazing bioluminescence. Check a moon calendar to see if your day is a better one for viewing. Book this one through the ship, in case of travel delays, since you will have a solid 3 hours r/t. This is a solid excursion that is really fun, no kayaking experience required, but it helps if you at least have a basic idea of what you are doing and a small bit of coordination.

We must have been posting at the same time. Thanks so much for the moon calendar! I checked it out and we will be there in July 21st, which is noted as a "BEST" day to go, so excited!!

Looking at flights leaving San Juan, the only one is at 2:40. Suggestions as to what to do after embarking the ship? Do not want to be dragging suitcases all over SJ but also do not want to sit in the airport for hours and hours