QM2 Southampton-New York, 15th Dec, 2014 - Live Blog

Skipper Tim

Hi Captain Tim

If you come across a lovely lady called Dizzy in her wheelchair and her devoted mum Bette say hello from Darren and Louise. It was they who got us to cruise a few years ago. Great reading your blog as we are coming back on her next November. Happy cruising. Daz and Lou.

Good evening from the Commodore Club, one of my favourite spaces on the QM2, a little after the Cunard World Club (repeat guests) party. More on this soon.... In the meantime, here is Henk Brandwijk's magnificent 1:100 scale model of the QM2 behind the bar of the Commodore Club. Apparently the innards contain over a mile of fibre-optic cables for lighting.

Q24.jpg

The Captain's noon announcement informed us that we were 1441 miles from the pilot station of New York and had sailed 1798 miles since leaving Southampton, the wind had dropped to force 5 though was expected to pick up again later and, ominously, we are expected to pass 140 miles North of "the final resting place of RMS Titanic" at around 1:30 a.m tomorrow.

Some of our party are suffering from the onset of Ocean Voyage Confusion (OCV). We were convinced it was the World Club cocktail party last night after dinner, expecting something of a repeat of the cocktail party the evening before but with hopefully fewer people and a more free-flowing alcohol policy. When we got to the Queens Room, there were very few people indeed, no one to check our invitation, dim lighting inside and most significantly, no waiting staff or drinks. I double-checked the invitation: venue (correct), time (correct), day - oops!

This freed us to go straight to the 'Winter Garden' forward of the buffet on deck 7 to listen to the only trad jazz in the entire entertainment programme so far. It was described as "Dixieland (traditional jazz) music". It was a poor description. With every member relying upon printed music, it was a fixed 45 minute set played in page order. The set comprised mostly numbers which crossed over into modern jazz with just a couple of nods to pre-40s jazz. It was better than no attempt at all but I am sure, given the demographics of those onboard, had they just asked for volunteers from the guests, we would have had a far more authentic trad jazz performance. If you like trad jazz, be warned.

We returned to our cabins early via the buffet where collected some Wensleydale with cranberries to help console ourselves. At least we had the cocktail party still in hand.

The Daily Programme was waiting for us upon our return. It once again instructed us to put our watches back by one hour before retiring. We obliged.

So, this morning we noticed the 50% off sale of '2014 Transatlantic Crossing' merchandise was oddly in full flight 10 minutes before the published opening time (I bought a T-shirt reduced to $10). Worse, the 10 a.m. lecture on modern aviation from a pilot's point of view, which I had been hugely interested in, was replaced without notice with the one originally scheduled for 11 a.m., the altogether very different 'Prisoners of the Whitehouse'.

It is an easy mistake to make. The instructions in the Daily Programme were intended to be followed the following day, not the evening it is received. We actually had breakfast at 7:30, not 6:30, we passed the shops at 9:45 and I arrived at the lecture shortly before 11. OCV - days and hours get confused.

My mother and I take daily turns in choosing the meal venues and times. Our choices are converging simply because of the knock-on effects of our allocation to first dinner sitting. First sitting tends to bring the whole day forward by a couple of hours. Hence we have early breakfast, early lunch, a light afternoon tea for the occasion, dinner in the MDR and an early night. "If I had my life again", I would always choose second sitting on Cunard.

The choice is not so easy of the notoriously late and long sittings of MSC where second sitting can easily go on to midnight. Even then, the staff are more relaxed on the second sitting and this gives it the edge. On Cunard it is a very straightforward choice. Cunard should perhaps make both sittings later until the numbers preferring each are balanced. As is 2nd sitting is oversubscribed and then there is a sizeable minority displaced into 1st who are in many ways segregated from our natural entertainment constituency by the needs of our body clocks.

So after an early lunch in the buffet - we went variously for the carvery, chicken korma and sushi - we caught the end of the excellent set in the Pavillion (covered pool area) on deck 12 by resident Caribbean-style band, 'Vibz'. They remind me very much of the pool bands Royal Caribbean employ during the day in style but with some exceptional musical talent. My faith in live music was restored. I will seek 'Vibz' out in my remaining time aboard.

Q27.jpg

Afternoon Tea with Chung, Marie and Mother today.

Q26.jpg

So to tonight. After dinner if was the 'delayed' Cunard World Club party. There were around twice as many guests in attendance as there were two nights earlier when half of everyone aboard (the first sitting) was invited. It was standing room only and barely that in places at the same venue. Explain?

Q25.jpg

I was confirmed right in my previous choice of strategic placement on the aisle from entrance to the source of drinks. We met far more experienced Cunard guests who enjoyed an extra glass at such events who were positioned in the same aisle. Soon they were putting me to shame by sending from different directions waiters to replace our glasses while I was still wondering how to return the empties. I admitted defeat, rolled over, accepted their superiority at my own game and their good company.

Until tomorrow!

P.S. My posts are having to be prepared offline then sent when the internet is quiet in the early hours of the following day. I will hopefully catch up with comments in the United Lounge at Newark on Monday afternoon, before our flight back to the UK.

Tim, just to mention that I think your photos are nicely done. Your photos are candid, taken from a vantage point that gives the general impression of the occasion without violating anyone's privacy. Compliments also to the members of your party; they are very kind to pose for photos. All three women look absolutely lovely and convey the enjoyment of the moment. Happy to read that you are enjoying your time on board. Thanks for posting. -Salacia

P.S. Have you thawed out from your dip in the not hot tub yet?:eek:

I must laugh ever time I hear Queen Mary2 is an "American" ship..CPCL is an international company..Cunard is managed right alongside P and O at the UK headquarters..The sailings from NYC have taken a large drop in recent years with less crossings and just 2 or 3 cruises...and the percentage of US passengers is now less than half vs UK and others. The "British theme" marketing is from the UK managment..I for one would like Cunard to go back to its Ocean liner historic style marketing as was done in the early years of QM2..

The plan was the Qm2 to replace the QE 2 as a transatlantic ocean liner. But?:confused:

The plan was the Qm2 to replace the QE 2 as a transatlantic ocean liner. But?:confused:
Hi turquoise 6,

I note in your signature "2004-2013: QM2 transatlantic : 26 voyages".

What did you sail on for those "26 voyages" if not a "transatlantic ocean liner" :confused: .

What did you think of the differences between QE2 and QM2 when on board?

Thank you in advance for your help, much appreciated :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi turquoise 6,

I note in your signature "2004-2013: QM2 transatlantic : 26 voyages".

What did you sail on for those "26 voyages" if not a "transatlantic ocean liner" :confused: .

What did you think of the differences between QE2 and QM2 when on board?

Thank you in advance for your help, much appreciated :) .

Hello Pepperrn. Defender of Cunard

Those were the days , when The Qm2 had frequent scheduled transatlantic

& Caribbean cruises every 10 days from October to March. With some short cruises to Bahamas

Thats the way it was.(from NY)

The QE2 was smaller than the Qm2 ,and one had a sense of being on an Ocean liner. Also had regular scheduled sailing between NY & Southampton

The QE2 had a certain , "class" a sense of maritime history .

Well.

I hope a give you some insight of my post

Cheers

T:)

Edited by turquoise 6
Adding NY

Happy Winter Solstice from the QM2!

Yesterday we started full of good intentions to participate in a record number of daily activities. We fell at the first - the 'glimpse of the ship's galley'.

We understood the meeting instructions were to gather in the lower level of the Britannia MDR for 10:30 a.m.. As we arrived it was clear the queue ran from the far side of the restaurant - the port side doors into the galley - the full length and out of the main central entrance doors of the Britannia. The queue was already moving. We altered course to to join it. As we neared, we could see the queue ran right down the central passage to the Grand Lobby and beyond. It had no end. It seemed like half the ship had turned out for a 'glimpse of the galley'. I double checked that this was indeed one continuous queue. They could not all possibly fit in the galley! We watched for a few minutes. The queue was moving quite briskly but still had no end. I looked to the starboard side galley doors to see if people were coming out, then up a deck to the upper level to see if they were emerging there. Neither was the case and they were still piling in at a pace. All we could deduce is that meat would be on the menu for some time and we gave it a miss.

Next stop was duty free shop. We thought, depending upon what time we could collect our purchases, we have a little drink in our cabin on the last evening. We went to ask. "You can take it with you now", was the unexpected reply (two days before disembarking). A couple of Virgin Marys were fetched from the bar before lunch and we duly fortified them in our cabin. Then we had the great idea of using the attractive 100ml shower gel bottles to take a little excess Vodka to the airport. I rinsed and soaked mine thoroughly. My mother, used hers up and was remarkably fast rinsing it out. I said so. She put it to her nose. "It smells a little soapy" she said. I told her, "It doesn't matter about the smell, it is when suds appear in your tomato juice people will get suspicious".

At noon, we were 883 miles from the pilot station at New York. The weather was improving but cooling all the time.

Apart from afternoon tea and dinner, there is little else to report about yesterday.

Here are a few photos from the rather wet decks this morning plus one from our balcony. Given the weather, this really has been the first opportunity to explore the outer decks.

Q29.jpg

Q28.jpg

Q33.jpg

Q31.jpg

Q30.jpg

Q32.jpg

We are due to pass under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, New York in the early hours of tomorrow. I'll be wrapping up this 'live blog' from Newark Airport with the rest of today, disembarkation and my final thoughts.

Thanks for joining me so far. Almost there!

The shiny decks look very posh.

The queue for the galley tour (it's more of a walkthru) moves fairly quickly although the length that it extends down the corridor can be off-putting.

Keep a good eye on QM2 for the next day - we're trying to figure out how all our clothing is supposed to fit into the bags but we'll be aboard tomorrow at this time.

Edited by Underwatr

we're trying to figure out how all our clothing is supposed to fit into the bags but we'll be aboard tomorrow at this time.

The good news is that one way or another....it always does. :)

Have a wonderful trip.

Great blog....really enjoyed it. Thank you for taking the time.

We are at Newark in the United Club lounge.

We passed under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge 30 minutes ahead of advertised around 4:15. We were on deck to witness others taking photos of the Statue of Liberty.

Q34.jpg

Our last full day was spent savouring the last delights - two excellent lectures on the workers who built the early skyscrapers of New York and 'Military intelligence in the middle East - Lawrence of Arabia to the SAS', lunch in the Britannia and a jacuzzi.

Yes folks, the jacuzzis are now heated. I cannot retract what I wrote simply because it was true at the time. Perhaps someone over at Cunard is actually following this thread?

We slummed it in the buffet last night as we only had 'comfort wear' remaining unpacked for the ordeal of a journey back to Slaithwaite. We met Chung and Marie after dinner and for breakfast this morning. Then we parted until the next adventure.

Our instructions were to leave our staterooms by 8:30 and assemble in the theatre at least five minutes ahead of an expected 8:45 disembarkation. This was exactly two hours ahead of Chung and Marie presumably because we had a tour/transfer to join. It was therefore something of an unwelcome shock upon our return from breakfast at 8 a.m. to find our cabin reset, prepared and made up for the next guests and with all our belongings removed from various storage locations and put in a pile on the sofa. The cabin was still ours. We may have wanted showers. My mother and I both had systems in place to vacate which were suddenly thrown in the air. Where is my X? Did I pack it? This is yours not mine, etc. etc. etc.. This crossed a threshold of unacceptability. It was a bitter parting pill.

We were over 30 minutes delayed disembarking despite the early arrival into Brooklyn. Here is the view eventually in the queue for immigration.

Q35.jpg

We had a great bus tour around parts of Manhatten. Both the driver, 'Mr Charlie', and the guide, Antony, were true unflappable pros. They needed to be to cope with (a) crazy pre-Christmas Manhatten traffic and (b) a coach load of ex-QM2 brits who thought they were just being transferred to 'the airport'. Antony was an endless source of fascinating details and the humour to more than match. It was brave of them to set us loose and expect us all to find him in his baker-boy cap standing at some pre-arranged point on the pavement an hour later not once but twice!

Q36.jpg

In dealing with the final business of the day, I will just mention that Newark airpot security is the most lapse and relaxed I have encountered anywhere in the World post 9-11. I am astonished. This is New York. It is because of the events in New York that, Worldwide, we are removing our shoes and belts, measuring our liquids to the ml, fully charging the batteries of our devices, having body scans and generally being subject to all sorts of undignified security measures not practiced ... in New York!!! The U.S.either ought to step up its game to match minimal international standards or let the rest of the World have more pragmatic and intelligent forms of airport security. Still, it meant that we passed through security in a tiny fraction of the usual time. If only Manchester airport security was like this my many people I know would be prepared to fly again.

Final thoughts and comparisons to come. I am running out of time in Newark and a red wine beckons ....

Hi Skipper Tom.

Wow! Regarding your parting experience "...Our instructions were to leave our staterooms by 8:30 and assemble in the theatre at least five minutes ahead of an expected 8:45 disembarkation. This was exactly two hours ahead of Chung and Marie presumably because we had a tour/transfer to join. It was therefore something of an unwelcome shock upon our return from breakfast at 8 a.m. to find our cabin reset, prepared and made up for the next guests and with all our belongings removed from various storage locations and put in a pile on the sofa. The cabin was still ours. We may have wanted showers. My mother and I both had systems in place to vacate which were suddenly thrown in the air. Where is my X? Did I pack it? This is yours not mine, etc. etc. etc.. This crossed a threshold of unacceptability. It was a bitter parting pill..." (emphasis mine)

In my opinion, it is totally unacceptable for that to happen. I am very surprised at such actions. Twelve voyages on QM2, and we never experienced such a thing...if we had, I would have been not in the least amused.

Frankly, I don't leave the cabin in the morning of disembarkation for breakfast because I've read that once there are no passengers in the cabin, the cleaning crew takes it over, where or not the passenger's possessions are still in the cabin.

I vacate my cabin at the assigned time, leaving the cabin pretty much as I found it. Cleaning crew should not enter the cabin without permission until the assigned time - a fairly simple rule which works for all concerned. Unless of course, crew members and cabin stewards have suffered such cutbacks that they need to resort to unacceptable measures in order to get their job done.

At any rate, I've read more than a few accounts of cabins being "cleaned" before the previous occupant vacated the cabin. Getting the bum's rush is unacceptable.

Harumph.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

.l..

On the QE2, it was always the elegant Bead Pattern. Here we have a mix of Rattail, Old English and Dubary. The breakfast shot above also shows a mix of Old English and Rattail. Standards are slipping!

Q12.jpg

It appears the soup spoon is from the Grills. I believe the manufacturer of the Grills silver cutlery is Gainsborough of Sheffield. On a recent crossing in Britannia I noticed a few pieces of Grills cutlery in the restaurant and the Queen's Room. I have never noticed Britannia cutlery in the Grills. That reminds me of the old saying that "First may go down to Tourist but Tourist may not go up to First." It seems the same rules apply to the silver.:)

It appears the soup spoon is from the Grills. I believe the manufacturer of the Grills silver cutlery is Gainsborough of Sheffield. On a recent crossing in Britannia I noticed a few pieces of Grills cutlery in the restaurant and the Queen's Room. I have never noticed Britannia cutlery in the Grills. That reminds me of the old saying that "First may go down to Tourist but Tourist may not go up to First." It seems the same rules apply to the silver.:)

Silver? That was sold long ago.

In my opinion, it is totally unacceptable for that to happen. I am very surprised at such actions. ... I vacate my cabin at the assigned time, leaving the cabin pretty much as I found it. ... At any rate, I've read more than a few accounts of cabins being "cleaned" before the previous occupant vacated the cabin. Getting the bum's rush is unacceptable. ...
Hi Salacia,

I have to agree with your sentiments above, it didn't occur when I first started taking trips with Cunard, but it did happen to me about two years ago. I came back to discover the bathroom had been cleaned and my personal possessions removed. So I had a shower, used every towel, cleaned my teeth.

So now I make a point of searching out my cabin steward (not hard) and telling him/her that I will be back after breakfast (always in the MDR on "last morning", can't face the passengers in the Kings Court (won't go into that here)) and will have a shower and clean my teeth "I will let you know when I've vacated the room so it's free to clean, but I won't be late leaving". Sometimes they ask if they can make the bed and I always say "yes" and then make sure I don't sit or place anything on it.

As I always leave any tip to the cabin steward (if I feel the need to reward excellent service) until I finally leave the cabin (either leaving an envelope or handing over in person) I've made it a habit to let his/her actions on this last morning decide if I should tip or not. If I return and find any of my possessions disturbed, then I pocket the notes I was going to leave.

The cabin is mine until I leave, and I always vacate it by the time requested. As you say, it is totally unacceptable to find one's person possessions have been moved, or given the feeling that one is being thrown out :mad: I've never had it happen even in the most "budget" of hotels.

Rant over :)

Edited by pepperrn

Frankly, I don't leave the cabin in the morning of disembarkation for breakfast because I've read that once there are no passengers in the cabin, the cleaning crew takes it over, where or not the passenger's possessions are still in the cabin.

Salacia

Our routine is a little different so we have always accepted that the stewards will have been in preparing for the next occupants.

We leave for breakfast when we are ready but leave only top coats in the wardrobes. These have never been moved over many cruises.

When we return the beds will have been made and the bathroom cleaned. If we needed showers we would certainly take them though we have had them earlier.

The room stewards have forgotten you already, they have had their tips (or not, makes no difference) and you are last weeks news.

The worst thought is that here you are in someone else's room, and that they will be sleeping in your bed that night and not you.

David.

As a fellow passenger on this trip, this has been a marvelous read - many thanks!

I hope to write up a few observations of my own, but in the meantime, in regards to the galley tour, I was surprised (and not a little jealous) that we ran into some folks whose group activities included a private galley tour - and that only three of them had taken it! Very different from the scrum that seems to be the publicly announced one (we saw the line forming one morning as we left breakfast and decided to keep moving).

We went Britannia Club, and my overall impression is that the ship looks great, that most aspects of service have held since our last crossing two year ago, and that (at least in BC), the food was actually in many ways quite a bit better.

(I'm consoling myself over a cold salad back at my office desk by getting nostalgic for a nice four-course lunch with a glass of wine...)

Our routine is a little different so we have always accepted that the stewards will have been in preparing for the next occupants.

We leave for breakfast when we are ready but leave only top coats in the wardrobes. These have never been moved over many cruises.

When we return the beds will have been made and the bathroom cleaned. If we needed showers we would certainly take them though we have had them earlier.

The room stewards have forgotten you already, they have had their tips (or not, makes no difference) and you are last weeks news.

The worst thought is that here you are in someone else's room, and that they will be sleeping in your bed that night and not you.

David.

I tend to follow this model too, having said my thanks and farewells to the cabin attendant the night before. When you have to go you have to go, no point in lingering and faffing.

My routine hopefully assists the crew in a small way to have cabins ready by 12 noon for those that follow. I know I derive such joy from immediate access to the cabin at the start of a cruise so am willing to assist the crew's endeavours by exiting swiftly.

M-AR

P. S. Thank you for the enjoyable report of the crossing and the accompanying photography.

For me, one of the enjoyable aspects of the forum is little observations such as this about errant cutlery.

You are very observant, no doubt you will have got me checking all my cutlery on future voyages! :)

M-AR

David.

David, if you don't mind my asking, why don't you take your top coats with you to breakfast and totally vacate the cabin?

Seems to me that to properly clean a cabin, the previous passenger must leave the cabin, not to return to use the shower /loo, etc. Of course, it is the passengers right to occupy the cabin until the appointed time, but then once the passenger 'revisits' the cabin, it should be cleaned again, hopefully with proper disinfectants.

Ergo, I don't see the sense of 'cleaning' a cabin before the occupant has totally vacated the cabin with all his/her possessions - simply because cleaning can't be done effectively. -S

Edited by Salacia