QM2 Southampton-New York, 15th Dec, 2014 - Live Blog

Skipper Tim

Hi Salacia.....no chains but there is the bolt lock. It is my understanding that only the security people can unlock the bolt from the outside.......but that means that there is someone inside who secured the bolt. I know this isn't very helpful. :)

Hi Briggitte. Thanks, yes, that lock has been in place for many years, if I remember correctly...but the master key card used by staff opens that lock. I've been inside my cabin after throwing that lock, and the cabin steward walked in on two occasions on two different cruise lines. I suppose that two occasions isn't much after so many days at sea, but I still find it disconcerting. And, yes, I did have the "do not disturb" sign on the door. At least with a chain lock, the door can't be opened with a master key card, but in an emergency it can be opened quickly with a bolt cutter.

We had a suite a few years ago on Caribbean Princess and there was a chain lock on the door, in addition to the regular lock.

Regarding the cabins the morning of departure -- I always put the "do not disturb" sign out when I go to breakfast. Never had a steward try to clean my room prematurely.

I've always done this too....we're self debark people, and leave by 7:45 ish, but still put the sign out if we have to slip out for a few minutes

Just to play Devil's Advocate, if you are a frugal fare hunter and long time loyal customer Cunard (nor does any other line) does not really want your business.

"Brucemuzz" has mentioned that loyal repeat customers are the worst customers in terms of profitability. He cliams with each voyage passenger onboard spending goes down about 9%. So by the time a person reaches Diamond status their onboard spend is zero.

If Cunard does offer rock bottom late promotions I probably should not blame anybody for taking advantage. But they seem have backed themselves into the proverbial corner. People will lament that "it's not like QE2" but won't pay the equivalent of what that QE2 fare would be today. So instead of 5-day crossings like QE2 we see 7, 8, and even 9 day (stop at Halifax) crossings.

In the "Ask a cruise question" forum somebody who had never sailed on Cunard lamented that ships don't have proper promenade decks, the decor is loud and gaudy, dressing for dinner has gone by the wayside, etc. and is there anything for traditionalists like herself? I wrote that she should check out Cunard, expecially QM2. Her response? She didn't care to pay the Seabourn-like prices.

I don't know about the repeat passengers decreasing their spending...when I was on board my last time in the fall, I managed to talk my husband into buying my Christmas present at Chopard, which blew away my previous spending. I also ate in Todd English more, due to the wonderful Ralph being the maître d' now. We were having a great time and our spending went up, but hopefully Cunard won't come to expect that every time :D

But at any rate, I saw the new 175th birthday Grills inclusive package and they hooked me with that. And contrary to a few posters in other threads, not only did I get the new on board credit, we were also able to add in our other on board credit from booking on board. I don't feel like I am being nickel and dimed, as I more or less have double to spend and my price did not increase. The fact that a bar server comes around and asks if I would like anything doesn't bother me, but I guess that is because it is what I am accustomed to. It's not like the bar servers are spinning trays at the pool and offering "Bahama Mama's" every 5 minutes.

I am too young to have had any interest in sailing on QE2 in its heyday, but, not knowing any better, I have completely fallen in love with Cunard and the QM2. Posters of the QM2 and other vintage Cunard ships cover my walls at my office, so that I am reminded of why I go to work everyday. Maybe I just don't know any better, but at least for now, for me, - the ship is still magical, the service and the food still wonderful, and I always anticipate returning.

Twice in the past I've had the "Do Not Disturb" sign strangely vanish during the last night "turn down" service.

So now, as I said previously, I speak to my cabin steward in person before breakfast the final morning and explain, in a nice way, that I will not be "rushed" from my cabin.

Best wishes :)

One way or another they will need to get into the majority of cabins before the 8.30 deadline, simply because they are so short staffed.

Of course the management are aware of this, though they would not admit it to a passenger while at the same time pushing the stewards to get the cabins ready.

The most likely outcome could be to change the leaving time to 0800. That would solve their problem.

David.

The most likely outcome could be to change the leaving time to 0800. That would solve their problem.

David.

The time to leave your cabin is now 8.00am. (This was the case last week on the QE and in June on the QM2). Our room steward still came in and made the bed up while we were having breakfast. She left the bathroom alone though.

Edited by Ray66

I don't know about the repeat passengers decreasing their spending...when I was on board my last time in the fall, I managed to talk my husband into buying my Christmas present at Chopard, which blew away my previous spending. I also ate in Todd English more, due to the wonderful Ralph being the maître d' now. We were having a great time and our spending went up, but hopefully Cunard won't come to expect that every time :D

But at any rate, I saw the new 175th birthday Grills inclusive package and they hooked me with that. And contrary to a few posters in other threads, not only did I get the new on board credit, we were also able to add in our other on board credit from booking on board. I don't feel like I am being nickel and dimed, as I more or less have double to spend and my price did not increase. The fact that a bar server comes around and asks if I would like anything doesn't bother me, but I guess that is because it is what I am accustomed to. It's not like the bar servers are spinning trays at the pool and offering "Bahama Mama's" every 5 minutes.

I am too young to have had any interest in sailing on QE2 in its heyday, but, not knowing any better, I have completely fallen in love with Cunard and the QM2. Posters of the QM2 and other vintage Cunard ships cover my walls at my office, so that I am reminded of why I go to work everyday. Maybe I just don't know any better, but at least for now, for me, - the ship is still magical, the service and the food still wonderful, and I always anticipate returning.

If this was Facebook I'd hit the "like" button :D

Because so many passengers (including me) like to board at noon, the staff are under considerable pressure. This does not excuse the rudeness that some have experienced, but I have sympathy with the stateroom staff. Whether in the Grills or Britannia and whether we are doing self-help or regular disembarkation, we always seek out the steward and advise that: "We have packed and are going to breakfast so the room is yours; please just leave us the soap and one hand-towel." Without exception, when we have returned from breakfast the room is ready for the next passengers and the bathroom may be completely cleaned or not, but there has always been the requested soap and towel.

In our early decades of crossing and cruising, ships that departed at 5:00 or so did not board at noon. It was usually 2:30 or 3:00. Also, ships often stayed overnight so there was more leeway in the time to vacate cabins. I'm afraid being rushed out in the morning is just the reality of quick turn-arounds and early embarkation.

I don't know about the repeat passengers decreasing their spending...when I was on board my last time in the fall, I managed to talk my husband into buying my Christmas present at Chopard, which blew away my previous spending. I also ate in Todd English more, due to the wonderful Ralph being the maître d' now. We were having a great time and our spending went up, but hopefully Cunard won't come to expect that every time.

Member Brucemuzz is an industry insider, and I value his posts since he explains that perspective. Not too long ago a thread discussed who gets complementary upgrades. He used spending patterns to explain why new cruises tend to get these more often than those in the loyalty program. It was then asked how are the loyal cruisers who do spend money get rewarded? He replied that they usually are - there are so few of them that they are easy to track.

My first voyage ever was in PG on QM2 and I don't have any interest in sailing on any other ship. I also want the level of ambiance, service, and amenities experienced in 2004 and expect to have to pay for it. My spending goes into four figures. I would rather postpone or opt for a shorter voyage than "slum it".

What I do see among the postings on this board is an increase in the number of frugal fare hunters who are very disciplined in their discretionary spending. (They see themselves are doing Cunard a favor by not having that stateroom go empty.) But it's simple Economics 101 that service "like QE2" cannot exist for very long at prices "cheap as chips".

So I see many members here as "pulling down" the standards of Cunard service since they don't have or won't spend the money to sustain it. It then leads to a vicious circle of those who do spend experiencing disappointment and then leave, and more deal hunters take their place. People who spend frequently attend Black Tie events and generally won't whine about formal nights since they are part of their social life on land. People who last wore formal wear to their daughter's wedding will see formal nights as an imposition. Thus, the result is a slippage in ambiance and staffing.

Deep discounting is great for those who can get these deals but only when it's not the normal practice. When the majority are sailing at heavy discounts, it won't be long before those who never sailed on QE2 start to lament, "Well, it's not like the early days of QM2."

Edited by BlueRiband

Because so many passengers (including me) like to board at noon, the staff are under considerable pressure. This does not excuse the rudeness that some have experienced, but I have sympathy with the stateroom staff. Whether in the Grills or Britannia and whether we are doing self-help or regular disembarkation, we always seek out the steward and advise that: "We have packed and are going to breakfast so the room is yours; please just leave us the soap and one hand-towel." Without exception, when we have returned from breakfast the room is ready for the next passengers and the bathroom may be completely cleaned or not, but there has always been the requested soap and towel.

In our early decades of crossing and cruising, ships that departed at 5:00 or so did not board at noon. It was usually 2:30 or 3:00. Also, ships often stayed overnight so there was more leeway in the time to vacate cabins. I'm afraid being rushed out in the morning is just the reality of quick turn-arounds and early embarkation.

Agree 100%

David.

Member Brucemuzz is an industry insider, and I value his posts since he explains that perspective. Not too long ago a thread discussed who gets complementary upgrades. He used spending patterns to explain why new cruises tend to get these more often than those in the loyalty program. It was then asked how are the loyal cruisers who do spend money get rewarded? He replied that they usually are - there are so few of them that they are easy to track.

My first voyage ever was in PG on QM2 and I don't have any interest in sailing on any other ship. I also want the level of ambiance, service, and amenities experienced in 2004 and expect to have to pay for it. My spending goes into four figures. I would rather postpone or opt for a shorter voyage than "slum it".

What I do see among the postings on this board is an increase in the number of frugal fare hunters who are very disciplined in their discretionary spending. (They see themselves are doing Cunard a favor by not having that stateroom go empty.) But it's simple Economics 101 that service "like QE2" cannot exist for very long at prices "cheap as chips".

So I see many members here as "pulling down" the standards of Cunard service since they don't have or won't spend the money to sustain it. It then leads to a vicious circle of those who do spend experiencing disappointment and then leave, and more deal hunters take their place. People who spend frequently attend Black Tie events and generally won't whine about formal nights since they are part of their social life on land. People who last wore formal wear to their daughter's wedding will see formal nights as an imposition. Thus, the result is a slippage in ambiance and staffing.

Deep discounting is great for those who can get these deals but only when it's not the normal practice. When the majority are sailing at heavy discounts, it won't be long before those who never sailed on QE2 start to lament, "Well, it's not like the early days of QM2."

I understand, very interesting perspective. My husband and I have been sailing in the Grills (P & Q) for the last 7 voyages. He's been on 12 times, me 14 because I have taken my mom twice. I don't think we'll go back to Britannia - mainly because we take long voyages - 12 days, 14 days, and I pack that formal wear, shoes, purses, even dresses & suits and things for day. I need that closet ;)

It's part of the ambience, part of being in another world & time for us. We could go more often in Britannia but I figure for 12 or 13 days on board, the extra hours at the office are worth the grills. And I love to shop on board, too, and visit the champagne bar almost daily. I am not sure how Cunard would rate us as "spenders". But to me, since I have put in the time at work to be able to travel in style, all of it is a part for me - the dressing up, the champagne bar, the shopping, the ballroom dancing. When we are on board, we just figure we are going to spend and enjoy! The ship and the history of Cunard are special to me, and being on board is a blessing I know we are lucky to have. I don't know if Cunard service has slipped. Maybe in some areas it has, but we just don't let it spoil our time.

So I suppose going once a year in order to sail in style and really enjoy the ship better suits us better than bargain shopping for multiple trips a year...plus - we are not retirement age, and will not be for quite a while, so we can only take one long trip on the QM2 per year, plus one other shorter vacation elsewhere anyway.

I understand, very interesting perspective. My husband and I have been sailing in the Grills (P & Q) for the last 7 voyages. He's been on 12 times, me 14 because I have taken my mom twice. I don't think we'll go back to Britannia - mainly because we take long voyages - 12 days, 14 days, and I pack that formal wear, shoes, purses, even dresses & suits and things for day. I need that closet ;)

It's part of the ambience, part of being in another world & time for us. We could go more often in Britannia but I figure for 12 or 13 days on board, the extra hours at the office are worth the grills. And I love to shop on board, too, and visit the champagne bar almost daily. I am not sure how Cunard would rate us as "spenders". But to me, since I have put in the time at work to be able to travel in style, all of it is a part for me - the dressing up, the champagne bar, the shopping, the ballroom dancing. When we are on board, we just figure we are going to spend and enjoy! The ship and the history of Cunard are special to me, and being on board is a blessing I know we are lucky to have. I don't know if Cunard service has slipped. Maybe in some areas it has, but we just don't let it spoil our time.

So I suppose going once a year in order to sail in style and really enjoy the ship better suits us better than bargain shopping for multiple trips a year...plus - we are not retirement age, and will not be for quite a while, so we can only take one long trip on the QM2 per year, plus one other shorter vacation elsewhere anyway.

The Cunard experience of Transatlantic Crossings when there were 3 classes

Is a thing of the past . This concept ended with the Qm2. What you are spending

Money on is a dinning experience. The Queen & Princess Grille is merely a resturant , and not First and Cabin Class on the QM2. The Britannia Resturant

Is not Tourist or 3rd class.

If you want to spend more money , for the Queens Grille, go for it.

I prefer to get the best rate and sail as often as I can(and I still get upgraded)

Edited by turquoise 6
Idea added

I'm delighted that you are able to travel in the Grills, spending into four figures to boot. And no doubt you're right that deep discounting has lowered the standards of service that I would hope we all treasure. But don't assume that those of us who are in somewhat more straitened circumstances and who rarely don formal wear on land are all crusading to eliminate formal nights at sea. In our case, and in the case of many of the charming people we have met on QM2, quite the opposite is true. It's in part because we have so few opportunities to dress to the nines at home that we so look forward to putting on our best when on board. We certainly don't think that we are doing Cunard a favor by filling an empty stateroom. Rather, we are grateful for the opportunity to sail on this magnificent ship.

The time to leave your cabin is now 8.00am. (This was the case last week on the QE and in June on the QM2). Our room steward still came in and made the bed up while we were having breakfast. She left the bathroom alone though.

Ok, this is kind of weird...but one time on QM2, on the first night, we noticed that our pillows smelled of cologne and perfume that neither my husband or myself wear. The bed was nicely made, it just wasn't clean. Just my personal opinion, but I don't think a cabin can be properly cleaned until the previous occupants vacate the cabin.

If 8am is the appointed time to vacate the cabin, I'm fine with that - just as long as the cleaning process doesn't take place until after the cabin has been vacated. I believe that would be in the best interest of passengers and crew. -S

I'm delighted that you are able to travel in the Grills, spending into four figures to boot. And no doubt you're right that deep discounting has lowered the standards of service that I would hope we all treasure. But don't assume that those of us who are in somewhat more straitened circumstances and who rarely don formal wear on land are all crusading to eliminate formal nights at sea. In our case, and in the case of many of the charming people we have met on QM2, quite the opposite is true. It's in part because we have so few opportunities to dress to the nines at home that we so look forward to putting on our best when on board. We certainly don't think that we are doing Cunard a favor by filling an empty stateroom. Rather, we are grateful for the opportunity to sail on this magnificent ship.

Very well said.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Those of us who see QM2 as a unique and special ship are, unfortunately, becoming a minority. (See my review of the last July 1-5th voyage.) I'm no Park Avenue trust fund princess and formal evenings let me have a vacation fantasy that doesn't exist in my life on land. I'm influenced by two recent threads. One was in the "New Cruisers" forum where one stated it "rude and unkind" to suggest that anyone who doesn't want to dress should use alternative casual dining. (They reasoned that dressing for dinner at a land based restaurant is becoming more rare and it's an anachronism for cruise lines to even hold these events.) The other was in this forum, where a deeply discounted November TA was celebrated and a poster discounted any possibility of cutbacks at these prices as "rubbish". So I see the elegance and service that many have enjoyed on QM2 as unsustainable either because too many passengers think the cost in terms of money and effort is too much to expect.

Another thing was a "superorganizer" taking over a roll call for an upcoming TA. Yes, she already contacted Cunard and is requesting that everyone "register" for whole slew of RCI-like events. The Insights lectures are one of the sea day activities many enjoy on Cunard. Now do I have anything in common with people who would rather do a "gift exchange" or "cabin crawl" while Stephen Payne is giving a presentation? Guess that labels me as "elitist".

Edited by BlueRiband

If 8am is the appointed time to vacate the cabin, I'm fine with that - just as long as the cleaning process doesn't take place until after the cabin has been vacated. I believe that would be in the best interest of passengers and crew. -S

We've had the whole range of having nothing done/just some things done/everything done while we've been having breakfast. One time we had just nipped out for a short time on deck to watch the QV arrive before breakfast and in the meantime the room steward had been in and made the bed! So it seems whatever way they are trained to do, some of them just do things their own way.

Those of us who see QM2 as a unique and special ship are, unfortunately, becoming a minority. (See my review of the last July 1-5th voyage.) I'm no Park Avenue trust fund princess and formal evenings let me have a vacation fantasy that doesn't exist in my life on land. I'm influenced by two recent threads. One was in the "New Cruisers" forum where one stated it "rude and unkind" to suggest that anyone who doesn't want to dress should use alternative casual dining. (They reasoned that dressing for dinner at a land based restaurant is becoming more rare and it's an anachronism for cruise lines to even hold these events.) The other was in this forum, where a deeply discounted November TA was celebrated and a poster discounted any possibility of cutbacks at these prices as "rubbish". So I see the elegance and service that many have enjoyed on QM2 as unsustainable either because too many passengers think the cost in terms of money and effort is too much to expect.

Another thing was a "superorganizer" taking over a roll call for an upcoming TA. Yes, she already contacted Cunard and is requesting that everyone "register" for whole slew of RCI-like events. The Insights lectures are one of the sea day activities many enjoy on Cunard. Now do I have anything in common with people who would rather do a "gift exchange" or "cabin crawl" while Stephen Payne is giving a presentation? Guess that labels me as "elitist".

One of the joys of Cunard is that those "whose spending goes into four figures" rub along nicely with "frugal fare hunters" on board the ships. I just don't hear or observe the mythical level of "whining" oft quoted here. On my recent QM2 cruise there were over 2,000 repeat guests with some 1,600 plus being gold and above. I cannot buy into the theory easily therefore that those that cherish QM2 are in the minority. Hopefully some of them got to take advantage of any discounted fares to continue their love affair with Cunard.

My gut feeling is they have their pricing correct now with something to suit everyone's pocket including a fairly appropriate level of service to match. There appears less discounting of the premium cabins which is a good thing as it can balance out the discounting at the lower end when necessary. I would much rather see potential future Cunarders have access to entry level discounted cabins than have the whole thing become elitist. That's how I got the bug some 20 plus years ago.

As for the much discussed, here on Cruise Critic, cutbacks in service I regard as no more than adjustments that any commercially astute business would make in response to economic circumstances and operational demands. In fact I have been impressed in the last year that there have been far fewer announcements of radical changes from central command and Cunard seems to have settled down again to a generally consistent level of service commensurate with their current pricing structure. While I accept further general fare cutting would likely result in a reassessment of services, I am less pessimistic with regards the look ahead view of how it will pan out.

M-AR

We've had the whole range of having nothing done/just some things done/everything done while we've been having breakfast. One time we had just nipped out for a short time on deck to watch the QV arrive before breakfast and in the meantime the room steward had been in and made the bed! So it seems whatever way they are trained to do, some of them just do things their own way.

Agreed we have now heard a whole range of stories. I would certainly raise a complaint had my personal effects have been moved and stacked up as reported, that's not on. Otherwise as we trust the stewards to come in and out the cabins during the whole of the cruise I fail to get what the issue is on allowing them similar access on the final morning.

M-AR

Agreed we have now heard a whole range of stories. I would certainly raise a complaint had my personal effects have been moved and stacked up as reported, that's not on. Otherwise as we trust the stewards to come in and out the cabins during the whole of the cruise I fail to get what the issue is on allowing them similar access on the final morning.

M-AR

Hi M-AR. Just my personal opinion, but I believe the best way to clean the cabin on the morning of disembarkation is to clean after the passenger/s have vacated the cabin, including removing all their possessions.

If the cabin is cleaned before that time, perhaps the cabins are cleaned again after the passenger has vacated the cabin - I don't think that's the case due to time constraints, but if it is, that's not very efficient. And if some or all of the cabin has been cleaned, and passengers return to their cabin, and the cabin is not cleaned again, then the cabin really hasn't been cleaned very well.

On various forums, I've read that passengers pack cleaning wipes which they used to 'disinfect' various areas of their cabin before unpacking. I thought that was unnecessary, but now I'm thinking it's not a bad idea :eek:

-S.

Edited by Salacia

Hi M-AR. Just my personal opinion, but I believe the best way to clean the cabin on the morning of disembarkation is to clean after the passenger/s have vacated the cabin, including removing all their possessions.

If the cabin is cleaned before that time, perhaps the cabins are cleaned again after the passenger has vacated the cabin - I don't think that's the case due to time constraints, but if it is, that's not very efficient. And if some or all of the cabin has been cleaned, and passengers return to their cabin, and the cabin is not cleaned again, then the cabin really hasn't been cleaned very well.

On various forums, I've read that passengers pack cleaning wipes which they used to 'disinfect' various areas of their cabin before unpacking. I thought that was unnecessary, but now I'm thinking it's not a bad idea :eek:

-S.

Unless they amend the current procedures, perhaps by delaying boarding, by preventing immediate access to the cabins or redeploying crew then I cannot see how the current cleaning regime could change. I suppose at the moment it starts and ends with where you lay your trust in whether things have been done properly or not and your own risk assessment of whether you believe facilities have been used since they were regarded as "cleaned" by the crew.

My only observation is there is a fairly stringent examination by the housekeeping officer of a sample of cabins so that should be incentive for the job to be done well by the crew. I realise they couldn't easily detect a used toilet seat, bed linen that has been touched and etc but I have in the past placed my trust in them doing the job properly. On balance I will continue to do so, acknowledging that others may not.

As I have stated previously I am only interested in going home once the cruise is over, I am not really up for devising schemes and plans to allow me maximum time in my cabin under the current system, sorry if that sounds harsh but we all have our idiosycracies and ways of working. Conversely when I board at 12 noon or thereafter I wish instant access to my cabin, so I must trust what has been done to prepare my cabin. Clearly we have different priorities and I accept your viewpoint.

M-AR

Hi Briggitte. Thanks, yes, that lock has been in place for many years, if I remember correctly...but the master key card used by staff opens that lock. I've been inside my cabin after throwing that lock, and the cabin steward walked in on two occasions on two different cruise lines. I suppose that two occasions isn't much after so many days at sea, but I still find it disconcerting. And, yes, I did have the "do not disturb" sign on the door. At least with a chain lock, the door can't be opened with a master key card, but in an emergency it can be opened quickly with a bolt cutter.

We had a suite a few years ago on Caribbean Princess and there was a chain lock on the door, in addition to the regular lock.

I was going by experience years ago on Celebrity. I went to bed....Tom came later and couldn't get in. He called security and they told him that his wife had bolted the door so she obviously didn't want him in the cabin and they wouldn't unlock it for him. He spent most of the night in a deck chair in his tux. :eek:

I was going by experience years ago on Celebrity. I went to bed....Tom came later and couldn't get in. He called security and they told him that his wife had bolted the door so she obviously didn't want him in the cabin and they wouldn't unlock it for him. He spent most of the night in a deck chair in his tux. :eek:

Yikes! Why didn't security (or Tom) call you on the phone in the cabin to ascertain if you were ok, or if you wanted to open the cabin door for either security or your husband?

As an aside, I remember one time on the Caribbean Princess around 10pm...my husband went for a walk on the deck, while I tided up the suite. I called room service to remove the try, and was told to put it outside the door. Which I did. The door closed and locked behind me.

So, there I am in the corridor waiting for Hubby to return from his mile walk, when a cabin steward happens by and asks if he can be of any assistance. I explained to him that I locked myself out of my cabin, but that my husband should be back from his mile walk within a half hour or so, and that I would wait for him to open the cabin door. He called security. The security guard arrived shortly thereafter and asked me several questions. He then agreed to open the cabin door, but required proof of my identity immediately after allowing me entrance. I retrieved my USA passport, NYS Driver License, boarding pass, as well as a complete print out of my travel arrangements from the cabin safe. Happily, that was accepted. Kudos to the cabin steward and the Security team for excellent security procedures.

Anyway, about ten minutes later, Old Him returned completely refreshed from his invigorating jaunt on the deck. Upon his return, he said "Really, you should have spent more time outside the cabin on such a beautiful evening".

-S