Question for Bonine/meclazine users

hawkeye93

How/when do you guys take the Bonine? One tablet or two? Nighttime every 24 hours? I get terribly motion sick in cars so will be starting this a couple days before we set sail to hopefully keep me sickness-free.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How/when do you guys take the Bonine? One tablet or two? Nighttime every 24 hours? I get terribly motion sick in cars so will be starting this a couple days before we set sail to hopefully keep me sickness-free.

Thanks!!

I only take it if the water is rough and I am starting to feel motion sick. The med takes effect in less than 30 minutes for me.

I take ginger and bring Bonine as a back-up. For me it works if I am sick already. Once we hit rough waters at night, in the morning I woke up, scared my husband with my white face, took a pill, took a nap right after coffee, and was fine a couple of hours later.

Check at home how Bonine affects you, maybe it's better to take it at night, maybe it doesn't matter.

I usually start taking a couple days before cruise and continue for about 2 days on cruise. Our tablets are 25 mg. and we take 1 in the morning. So far, I have been fine. Don't really think I need to take meclizine, but do it for extra protection, one never knows.

Ever since my wife was a child, she got car,air, and sea sick. She met me and I introduced her to meclazine. We have been on 40 trips and 13 cruises, and she has never had a problem. I buy the generic in 100 tablet bottles.

The only time she had a problem was a flight over the Nazca lines, where the pilot continually banked the airplane left and right so both sides could see the figures on the ground!.

I fly light aircraft without a problem, but on that flight I took a Bonine!

I sympathize with the OP, I still get motion sickness, and have since I was a child. I begin taking Bonine / meclizine the night before we leave, and always take it(1 only) at night. For a back-up, I bring along "ginger chews" by a company called Chimes - they come in different flavours (mango is delicious), and keep one or two in my pocket all the time.

On our last trip, which was a trans-Atlantic, I found drinking green tea really helped settle a queasy stomach; you might want to try that.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I got a meclizine story from my first cruise. Although I got motion sick only twice in my whole life, I wasn't sure how I'd react to being on a ship, so I brought meclizine as a precaution. The first night, the swells were so bad, that I started thinking I'll actually get motion sickness, so I took a pill. Then I spent some time hanging out in the club and just looking at the ocean.

That night, I got some really vivid nightmares. Enough that after waking up, it took me about 5 minutes to understand where I was. Oh well; serves me right for taking something I didn't need, and mixing it with alcohol to boot.

I only take Bonine on small boats when going diving (cheap insurance against being affected on the ride out and being too sick to dive) but I generally take it the night before. I think they're a 24-hour pill so that suffices.

The motion of big ships doesn't affect me so I don't take it when I'm on a cruise - I don't have personal experience about how quickly it takes effect for me if I feel queasy and take it.

Thank you all. I will try one each day and hope it keeps the queasiness away. Motion sickness is truly awful and I've suffered from it since I was a child. I can't even be a passenger in a car for longer than about 30 min. My husband can read without a problem. I look at a book or my phone for 2 min and I'm done for.

God bless Bonine!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all. I will try one each day and hope it keeps the queasiness away. Motion sickness is truly awful and I've suffered from it since I was a child. I can't even be a passenger in a car for longer than about 30 min. My husband can read without a problem. I look at a book or my phone for 2 min and I'm done for.

God bless Bonine!!!! :)

I'm affected the same way. I'm fine riding or flying, until I try to read something, then all bets are off. Dramamine sometimes works for me, might try Bonine/meclazine and see how it works....

Thanks!!

Have you considered ginger ...

Ginger is commonly used to treat various types of “stomach problems,” including motion sickness, morning sickness, colic, upset stomach, gas, diarrhea, nausea caused by cancer treatment, nausea and vomiting after surgery, as well as loss of appetite.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-961-ginger.aspx?activeingredientid=961&activeingredientname=ginger

original_CW.jpg?14%2F12%2F2012+8%3A40%3A59+AM

Getting back to the OPs actual question, when DW and I use Bonine we prefer to take one pill (25 mg) at bedtime. Since one possible side effect of Bonine (Meclizine) is to make some folks sleepy, taking it at bedtime can be a win-win. And a single pill is good for 24 hours which is also a plus.

Hank

I can't take Bonine or meclazine - makes me drowsy. If I did take it, it would be at night for that reason.

Instead of Bonine or meclazine, I use the sea bands. they are drug free. But, I will admit that I don't usually get car sick - just motion sickness at sea.

I don't get car sick, so on our first cruise, I didn't take anything. It was an 8 hr cruise to the Bahamas then we stayed a few days. I started throwing up 30 minutes in and was violently sick the entire 8 hours and for several more hours after we got to the hotel. I've never been so sick in my life. Too late to keep any meds down. They recommended Bonine for the trip back. I seriously considered flying home and just meeting my family there. I did NOT want to get back on that ship. (Granted, much smaller than an 'actual' cruise ship)

Now, I take Bonine. I take it 2 days before the cruise so it''s in my system, and continue one tablet per day and finish it 2 days after we get home. I have unusual 'land sickness' after we get off the ship. My body is used to swaying and the land is standing still.

I take it in the morning so if I'm going to drink any alcohol, it's much later in the day. However, about 8:00 pm every night while sitting at the show, it's all I can do to stay awake. Maybe I should take it at bedtime instead.

I think I also began with a morning dose because I figured it would be first thing in the morning before I had a chance to feel any motion and if I took it at night, maybe it would wear off while we were wandering around doing things. For a 24 hr dose, my waking hours were more covered by a morning dose.

Good idea to try it at a different time at home & see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never heard of this Bonine before. Can you tell me where to get it? Is it an over the counter med or do you need a prescription? Anyone know if it is available in Canada?

I usually take Gravel but it makes me drowsy. Is Bonine good for flights too?

"Bonine" is a brand name over-the-counter product sold in the USA (we understand it is not sold in Canada) which are chewable pills consisting of 25 mg of Meclizine HCl. This drug is also sold over-the-counter (in the US) under the brand name "Dramamine Less Drowsy" (which should not be confused with the regular Dramamine). You might try asking your pharmacist if he/she can sell you generic "Meclizine" although we are not sure if that is available in your country.

You mentioned Gravol (not to be confused with "Gravel" which is a nasty bath salt) which is simply a version of Dimenhydrinate" which has to be taken every 4-6 hours as opposed to Bonine which only needs to be taken once a day. We have always found drugs in that Gravol class (such as the regular Dramamine) to make us too darn sleepy. With Bonine, DW and I will simply take one around bedtime and any drowsy effects simply help as kind of a sleeping pill. That one pill will work all day and does not bother us...although some folks say it does make them sleepy.

If you are cruising out of a US port you should be able to buy Bonine at almost any drug store (even in many supermarkets) and its often sold on cruise ships in one of their shops.

Hank

I've never heard of this Bonine before. Can you tell me where to get it? Is it an over the counter med or do you need a prescription? Anyone know if it is available in Canada?

I usually take Gravel but it makes me drowsy. Is Bonine good for flights too?

Unfortunately Bonine is no longer sold in Canada - when it was, it was marketed under the name "Bonamine"; why, I have no idea. If you are flying to your port of embarkation, it is likely you will be able to find Bonine in the airport gift shops. Failing that, CVS and Walgreens drug stores both carry it (CVS is less expensive), and if you happen to find yourself at a Walmart, you can pick up the generic meclizine there.

Yes, Bonine is good for all forms of travel; I've used it for cars, buses, trains, airplanes, and cruise ships. I make sure to take it at night and that way if there is any drowsiness caused, I'll be sleeping through it.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)