UPB and Buying Drinks for Piano Players

lbrandon

On our last cruise on the Epic we spent a lot of time at Howl at the Moon. In addition to tipping the piano players in cash we also bought them a few drinks throughout the week. They really appreciated it and it got our song requests to the top of their playlist.

This time we will have the UBP and my question is whether there is still a way to buy the piano player a drink. I realize it's only one drink at a time per card. Does NCL have a problem with me giving one of my drinks to the piano guy? If so, I'm not actually opposed to paying for a couple of drinks for them but I don't think they will have a way to charge it to me since my card is tied to my UBP. If there's no acceptable way to do it we'll just tip them in cash this time. Has anybody tried to do this?

On our last cruise on the Epic we spent a lot of time at Howl at the Moon. In addition to tipping the piano players in cash we also bought them a few drinks throughout the week. They really appreciated it and it got our song requests to the top of their playlist.

This time we will have the UBP and my question is whether there is still a way to buy the piano player a drink. I realize it's only one drink at a time per card. Does NCL have a problem with me giving one of my drinks to the piano guy? If so, I'm not actually opposed to paying for a couple of drinks for them but I don't think they will have a way to charge it to me since my card is tied to my UBP. If there's no acceptable way to do it we'll just tip them in cash this time. Has anybody tried to do this?

I am sure no one can give you a legit answer. I haven't heard of many who buy drinks for the piano players, tips yes. I can't see why you couldn't give them your drink if you don't care about having one right at the moment, but I don't think it would be something anyone would want spread around.

I'll have to look into whether they can charge me for an extra drink otherwise we'll just tip them in cash. At Howl at the Moon last time people were buying the performers drinks all evening.

Edited by lbrandon

You can buy a drink, but not on your package...just pay for it on your shipboard account!

And the cruiseline will probably even encourage it too!!!

I get the buying drinks thing... Even though I rarely spend money on ships drinks myself....and that it makes you feel good to do this but why wouldn't you just give the guy an extra $10 tip that would go directly into his pocket?

Buying drinks gives the money to Ncl

Also.... Just how many drinks does this guy really need or even want per night? Multiple guests buying drinks for him becomes laughable at some point... But will make the bartender and cruiseline happy. Lol

$10 per drink versus $10 in his pocket? Hmmm

But as I said... I get the whole buying drinks for others even though I don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

When we were on Epic they were basically hinting they wanted drinks. Like when singing piano man "And this microphone smells like... water because noone bought me a drink"... LOL. And they never got so many that they were turning them away

I just got off the BA and LOVED Howl at the Moon! They were shilling for drinks there, too. I wondered if the bartender gives them drink-looking water - makes $ for NCL. I'm not a drinker, and it is hard to believe that they could just drink all night with no repercussions....but I guess they could!

I just got off the BA and LOVED Howl at the Moon! They were shilling for drinks there, too. I wondered if the bartender gives them drink-looking water - makes $ for NCL. I'm not a drinker, and it is hard to believe that they could just drink all night with no repercussions....but I guess they could!

My thoughts exactly. Very weak drinks or water.

If the singer says vodka rocks you know very well it could be water and it is a total scam

Some cruisers are rather vulnerable/ naive about this sort of thing.

We ordered the drinks ourselves and then walked them over to the piano. The bartender didn't know who the drinks were for and poured them in front of us so they were definitely full strength.

Edited by lbrandon

We ordered the drinks ourselves and then walked them over to the piano. The bartender didn't know who the drinks were for and poured them in front of us so they were definitely full strength.

That is the best way to do it IMHO

The point is if the bartender knows who they are for they could easily be watered down

Your example doesn't apply because it has nothing to do with the entertainer..... The drinks could have been for another pax therefore the bartender was obliged to make them properly

Also anyone who buys a drink for an entertainer would never even know if it were watered down...because it is doubtful the entertainer .....who is employed by Ncl ....would complain to you ...a pax ...nor are you going to taste the drink you bought the entertainer

Perfect scenario and perfect for a scam on the pax

Edited by luvtheships

We did this a ton (both drinks and cash) on our last Epic cruise, and plan to do it again on the Getaway next month. Do you remember who your players were? We had Kin, Drew, and Brad on the Epic, and I think we have Kin and Drew again on the Getaway. They were amazing.