Where do you park in Ft Lauderdale?

michelle.zhang.90

Port parking, while more expensive, is very convenient. You can drive right up next to the boarding area and a porter will take your bags and put them in the baskets. He or she will expect a tip, about 3 dollars or so a bag. When you return, claim your luggage, which is set up very conveniently, summon a porter and he will put your bags on a cart and accompany you with them through the custom line and to your car. Again he expects a tip, I tipped 5 dollars a bag for that service. We were in our car and on I-95 before 9 AM, in spite of 20-25 minutes in the custom line.

I booked off site parking for my upcoming cruise because I was afraid that there might not be parking spots available at the cruise ship garage. There are 5 ships leaving that day. Is there ever any problem getting a parking spot?

Think we will use the port garage on our upcoming trip on the Regal. Have used Park n go and always had good experiences, but for a seven night cruise the savings really aren't huge, so will opt for easy and covered self parking.

We had a very bad experience at an off site lot at Port Canaveral (broken windshield upon return) a few years ago. As one poster said, the cost for parking is so minor in the total cost of the vacation, just not worth it!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Here's something to consider. The one time we used port parking (because of convenience), the ship ended up having to dock at a different terminal. As a result, we had to wait in a long line for a cruise line supplied shuttle to take us to the other garage. It was a nightmare and we swore we would never take that chance again. We had our two kids with us and it was after a 10 day cruise so we had lots of luggage. SO while it might seem more convenient and probably is most of the time, if you get caught in the same situation we were in, riding 2 miles on a convenient shuttle that takes you there right away and is there for you when you get back is way more convenient than trying to get on a crowded shuttle bus to transport you to another parking deck.

We have always parked ourselves. Unloaded luggage at their front door and DH drove around to park behind the hotel. It is fenced in. You walk through the hotel to the front where you will catch the shuttle. We usually do early walk-off on the ship and call for their shuttle after going through customs so we get an early start driving back to Alabama. Next month we are visiting friends who live in FL so we won't be in a hurry to get off the ship. Nice when you live in FL:)

We did use Port parking when our grandkids were younger as we had a lot of luggage with all their stuff they needed. For the past few years we have used the Embassy Suite parking.

Thank you very much for the information :). We are thinking about first leaving our big luggage at the Port then going to where the parking lot is. Was wondering where we would access getting into the shuttle, now we know. We saw that it is a small lot that is fenced which makes it more secure.

Once thru customs, after you called for the shuttle, how long did the shuttle take to pick you up & bring you back to your car ?

I booked off site parking for my upcoming cruise because I was afraid that there might not be parking spots available at the cruise ship garage. There are 5 ships leaving that day. Is there ever any problem getting a parking spot?

We never have had a problem getting a parking spot at the Port parking garages. Usually get there around 10am & are able to get a parking spot close to the elevators.

Thank you very much for the information :). We are thinking about first leaving our big luggage at the Port then going to where the parking lot is. Was wondering where we would access getting into the shuttle, now we know. We saw that it is a small lot that is fenced which makes it more secure.

Once thru customs, after you called for the shuttle, how long did the shuttle take to pick you up & bring you back to your car ?

We usually do earliest walk off when driving. One time the shuttle was already waiting before we even called. It was no more than about 5-10 minutes to get back to the hotel. The last time we called when we got outside to the pickup spot and it was about a 10 minute wait. Should have called right after we walked through Customs.

We usually do earliest walk off when driving. One time the shuttle was already waiting before we even called. It was no more than about 5-10 minutes to get back to the hotel. The last time we called when we got outside to the pickup spot and it was about a 10 minute wait. Should have called right after we walked through Customs.

That wait time that you had is good. We will call for pick-up once we get thru Customs.Will have later pick-up since we will have to get our luggage from the holding area after the cruise is over. Thanks once again your info :) !