What If We Don't Want to Eat in the MDR??

wrighka

Thanks everyone for your answers and opinions. DD and GD won't eat dinner in the MDR because they don't want to "dress up", even though "dressing up" is really not that anymore except for formal night. Plus, neither of them eats much and are so picky that they probably wouldn't find anything on the menu they'd like.

So, I guess it's Windjammer or elsewhere for us!

PS - We are sailing on the Liberty in March

Other complimentary dining options for the Liberty are:

Windjammer Buffet -Deck 11

Sorrento's Pizza - Deck 5 ( yes you can special order one to suit your taste)

Promenade Café - Deck 5 ( petite sandwiches and deserts )

Room Service ( There's a $3.95 delivery fee from Midnight to 5:00 A.M)

Re: dressing up - RCCL does NOT have a mandatory dress code rather it's only a suggested guideline. Therefore do not that deter you from dining in the MDR. Don't worry about the self appointed fashion police.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Just curious as to how old the kids are. There is a lot to choose from on the menu when you consider the entrees, salads and appetizers, plus the kid's menu. It is so nice to be waited on each evening - even enjoy breakfast and lunch in the MDR. As stated, dress code is a lot more relaxed than it used to be. Don't necessarily agree with that especially on formal night, but I am not a "fashion police " person. As long as as they are clean and presentable no one will say anything. Dress standards for the Windjammer are really not that different - still need shoes, shirt, covering over swimwear etc. I think it would get old eating in the WJ every meal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also debating these questions! We have a 20 month old, and are scheduled for early dining (6). Is that the earliest someone can eat?

Is it rude to ask to "rush" our food (if the kiddo is getting antsy)?

Finally, how easy is it to get a small table? We don't want to have to leave early, etc if we are sharing the table. Thanks!

We are also debating these questions! We have a 20 month old, and are scheduled for early dining (6). Is that the earliest someone can eat?

Finally, how easy is it to get a small table? We don't want to have to leave early, etc if we are sharing the table. Thanks!

It's not rude to speak with your waiter and mention your preferences with regard to timing.

Thanks everyone for your answers and opinions. DD and GD won't eat dinner in the MDR because they don't want to "dress up", even though "dressing up" is really not that anymore except for formal night. Plus, neither of them eats much and are so picky that they probably wouldn't find anything on the menu they'd like.

So, I guess it's Windjammer or elsewhere for us!

PS - We are sailing on the Liberty in March

I would think picky eaters are more likely to get what they want in the MDR than at the other dining venues. They are very accomodating, and if you ask they will show you the nerxt day's menu in advance so that you can make special preparation requests for anything. You don't really get that option in the Windjammer, which may have a ton of food but possibly nothing that will interest them either.

As for dressy, you can pretty much get away with anything these days that isn't sloppy. I wear jeans and a polo or tropical print shirt most nights.

not rude at all, in fact you will find they beat you to the punch and serve th kids quicker. you can certainly request to be seated alone and they will go as fast as you like

of course the buffets tend to open a little sooner, and the other venues should also be available if Junior needs a snack. to tide him over til 6.

If you can switch to MTD, they start serving at 5;30 if early seating is at 6 and they have a lot of smaller tables.

not rude at all, in fact you will find they beat you to the punch and serve th kids quicker. you can certainly request to be seated alone and they will go as fast as you like

of course the buffets tend to open a little sooner, and the other venues should also be available if Junior needs a snack. to tide him over til 6.

The buffet is not open before the MDR. MTD typically starts at 5:30, WJ opens at either 6 or 6:30 depending on the ship.

You didn't say what ship you are on, so it is difficult to give definite info. For the most part, there is first and second seating for dinner, and My Time Dining. It sounds as if you have booked first seating.

You could eat earlier at the Windjammer buffet, but that would be self-service. You might want to switch to My Time Dining - that might be easier on the 20-month-old. You could then pick when you wanted to eat and get a table for the family. I believe reservations start at 5:30, depending on the ship, for My Time Dining.

It depends what size table you have requested for your first seating. If you are at a table with others I think it would be rude to ask the waiter to hurry your food. They tend to serve appetizerts, salads, etc. to everyone, followed by entree and dessert. Not everyone may appreciate being hurried along. You could change your table to a small table just for you, if that is what you would prefer.

Be aware that you have to commit to one or the other - first seating or My Time Dining, and if you stick with first seating your table stays the same - you can't switch nightly. They will do their best to accommodate you and your child.

When you first board the ship, go look for your assigned table in the MDR (the table # is on your seapass). That should tell you if you are sitting alone or have others at your table (based on the table size). If it looks like you have others joining you, you can then ask for a new table and most times they can make an adjustment at that time (don't wait till it's time for dinner to do this).

On our recent cruise, we had our tribe of kiddos (6), the youngest being 3 yrs old & 17 months old and the wait staff did great making accommodations for our kids. It was a 14 night cruise and we ate every evening in the MDR. They were prompt in bringing out the 2 littles food during our appetizers and they kept things moving. If you would need to leave the table early, they are also good about covering your food and sending it with you. ;)

You didn't say what ship you are on, so it is difficult to give definite info. For the most part, there is first and second seating for dinner, and My Time Dining. It sounds as if you have booked first seating.

You could eat earlier at the Windjammer buffet, but that would be self-service. You might want to switch to My Time Dining - that might be easier on the 20-month-old. You could then pick when you wanted to eat and get a table for the family. I believe reservations start at 5:30, depending on the ship, for My Time Dining.

It depends what size table you have requested for your first seating. If you are at a table with others I think it would be rude to ask the waiter to hurry your food. They tend to serve appetizerts, salads, etc. to everyone, followed by entree and dessert. Not everyone may appreciate being hurried along. You could change your table to a small table just for you, if that is what you would prefer.

Be aware that you have to commit to one or the other - first seating or My Time Dining, and if you stick with first seating your table stays the same - you can't switch nightly. They will do their best to accommodate you and your child.

Thanks for the thorough replies all! We are on the Independence of the Seas. I will triple check about MTD in place of first 6pm seating.

Again, thank you.

Thanks for the thorough replies all! We are on the Independence of the Seas. I will triple check about MTD in place of first 6pm seating.

Again, thank you.

Just an FYI - If you switch to MTD you will have to pay your gratuities upfront - it's just one of the rules. Never thought of it as a problem, as you have to pay them anyway. Assume you know that your little one also pays gratuities.

If you are told that you cannot switch at this time, when you board go straight to the dining room. They are open to handle such requests and will do their best to help and explain your options.

Enjoy your cruise.