second Pinnacle-class announced november 2018!

Alphen

[quote name='cruisemom42']Sorry, I didn't mean to refer to you or anyone in particular on these boards.

I was thinking of my parents, whose long-haul days are possibly over -- after many, many years of travels, thankfully.[/QUOTE]

[B] No problem,Cruisemom. :)

I didn't think you meant anyone specific.

[/B]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Many of us didn't have the time, money, or had other obligations when we were younger, and didn't have the opportunity to travel to far-away places with strange-sounding names. It is only now, when we are older and sometimes more than a little infirm, that we can go to all these places that we couldn't get to in our past lives.
If we ever want to see these places, it's now or never.

As HAL reduces the number of ships, even while keeping the passenger count steady, they must reduce the number of itineraries. These larger ships are likely to sail the bread & butter routes, while the more exotic routes will be harder and harder to find---at least on HAL.
The large ships aren't desirable for these types of itineraries, if for no other reason that they can't get to the exotic ports easily. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]

As HAL reduces the number of ships, even while keeping the passenger count steady, they must reduce the number of itineraries. These larger ships are likely to sail the bread & butter routes, while the more exotic routes will be harder and harder to find---at least on HAL.
The large ships aren't desirable for these types of itineraries, if for no other reason that they can't get to the exotic ports easily. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yes, that's very likely true. The only thoughts that give me hope (as ships get larger) are:

1. There will be so many larger ships going to the same ports that some will, by default, have to find other options. Sort of like what is happening now in the Port of Naples in Italy. Too many ships are wanting to dock there and there just isn't room. So some head down the coast to Salerno instead, which gives repeat cruisers a few new options.

2. If cruising remains popular, with lots of repeat customers, at some point cruise lines will have to offer something slightly different in terms of itinerary to keep a certain group of cruisers coming back. (The group that cruises more for itinerary than for being on board ship.) After all, they will have a LOT of berths to fill, whether it is a larger number of smaller ships or a smaller number of larger ships.

I hope, I hope.

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]It is only now, when we are older and sometimes more than a little infirm, that we can go to all these places that we couldn't get to in our past lives.
If we ever want to see these places, it's now or never.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

100% agree with you. I tell my friends, children (in fact, anybody who asks:)) - do it now. None of us, thankfully, know what lies ahead.

I'm saving those places, nearer home, for when I may not be able to travel long haul.

HAL does have quite a few midsize ships left, if Maasdam is sold in the future,( to access ports overseas that the big ships can't.) I had forgotten there are still quite a few midsize ships in the fleet. I feel better....we may still be able to sail HAL in the future!!

I agree about traveling when you are young, if you can. It does get more and more tiring to fly, especially with connections. We have yet to hit the Far East and Australia....they sound exciting, except for the travel involved. We'll see...

I did a search of cruise ships in service with the major cruise lines - Carnival, Princess, HAL, Cunard, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Disney, and Norwegian. Here are the number of ships for each line with less than 2000 passengers:

Carnival - none

Princess - 5

HAL 13

Cunard - none

Royal - 3

Celebrity - 5

Disney - none

Norwegian - 1

HAL has been bucking the trend, but it's clear that in a few years small/mid-sized ships will only be found in the smaller cruise lines.

Edited by cruisernewbieman

That is most likely true. They do have a LOT of ships. If you can't fill berths, may as well eliminate them!

Berths aren't changing... just number of ships.

Ultimately still the same challenge to fill it all, just less variety (or more likely, same variety but less repetition... do they NEED to have a Saturday and a Sunday ship doing the same or near identical E Carib run every single week for instance)

HAL is marketing their line as being high in environmental standards so it makes sense that they are trying to sell their older ships rather than extensive retrofitting. For example, recycling treated gray water. Look for that in the new ships.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app