Ditched & Debating: What to do with our Spring Break Cruise?

RCCL Fan

I feel for ya.

We got upgraded to a GS several years ago and we have never gone back. We have two young kids (6 and 4). I might get away with booking a JS, but It would be really hard to go to a D1. I would never hear the end of it from the wife.

Instead of settling for a cruise it doesn't sound like you all that jazzed about without your extended family, I would reconsider Hawaii.

I have done the Hawaii flight with a 1 year old. I won't lie...the flight was not fun, but Maui is awesome. Rent a condo on Maui so you have a Kitchen to make most of your own food, and you won't regret it.

just my 2 cents.

No reason to give up the suite...if you got a good price and still want to keep it and do the sailing....consider if it's worth just paying for a 5th person to be able to stay in it. they really couldn't care if that 5th person shows;)just that you pay for a 5th person. Just an option to consider.

This idea almost got my vote...

Since the in laws are now free that week, they can keep the kids while you cruise with your wife!

...until I read this one! :D

I would do Hawaii. It doesn't sound as if the cruise itself excites you all that much, and I always shudder at the idea of 4 people staying in a balcony cabin (I freely acknowledge that I'm spoiled).

Since you can break up the flight and see some friends that I'm guessing you don't get to see very often, I think it would be a fun way to spend your spring break.

I think staying in the two-bedroom is out on the idea of saving so much money.

I'm in for the JS. (more space & double cruise points_

Wife still thinks D1 (she's not a spender) but i'm persuading her. lol

Does anyone know if 1602's cabin space is larger, or just the balcony? Wifey has breakfast on balcony alone usually while kids and I sleep in. Otherwise we hardly ever go out there.

It's really just her sanctuary for a few hours in the morning.

and hi micmacmissy....

Our youngest daughter is our "Celebrity Reflection" baby. At our wedding dinner onboard Independence we sat at the table with both our parents, who all agreed we needed to leave the reception and get to our room and get to work on a "a boy" Well, we started, and wound up with another beautiful little girl :-)

MTSU, I would love to see some pics of cabin 1602, and of the two bedroom suite.

more importantly I just can't wait to hear your thought on the ship & crew.

& thanks for watching me on the news each night!!

Check out the thread "show us your aft" ; just google it! There are photos of every aft balcony on many ships- any of the Raiance class aft JS will look like yours. I think they are awesome, a lot like having a suite but without the suite benefits (and frankly, how do you tolerate the "dagger eyes" when you take the tots into the C lounge? I would hate that! )

I traveled extensively with my kids, and work with preschoolers, and I have to agree with your TA, I would not find HI appealing (that flight!:eek:) at those ages. Good luck with whtever you decide! :D

Yes- this. Flying to Hawaii with bad flight times and a baby can't be fun, and the kids will both have trouble adjusting to the time zone. If Hawaii is a dream trip, wait until all can enjoy it more!

The Serenade is a beautiful ship.

The key to the D1 is not to stress out about it being smaller, or not having the space. You'll be on a fun family vacation, relaxing with your girls, so what about the room size? If that's what you pick, embrace it, and love it. If you don't love it, blame the relatives for ditching you and sticking you in a 'regular' cabin :cool::cool::cool:

And if you really can't do it, just book the JS and stop worrying about the money. Everyone has their own imaginary line, sometimes it is balcony over window, or window over inside, or fly over drive. It doesn't matter. Just know yours and go from there. :)

My TA happened to be awake and just chatted with me for a while.

I've known her for almost 20 years.

She agrees it's too early to do Hawaii with the kids.

Way long flight and my youngest will have just turned 1, weeks before the trip.

She thinks its way too much at their young age.

We looked at the flights back and the times are horrible.

So now it's either the D1, or the JS.

She says I'm spoiled and we'll be fine in the D1, since we'll just be in the room at night and dressing for dinner, as we spend little time in the room. (Travel agent who encourages me to spend less... don't you love her??)

But you guys seem to love this 1602 cabin....

slowly getting there.

No reason to give up the suite...if you got a good price and still want to keep it and do the sailing....consider if it's worth just paying for a 5th person to be able to stay in it. they really couldn't care if that 5th person shows;)just that you pay for a 5th person. Just an option to consider.

I was going to ask from out of curiosity what the min was for a GS. I'll take it from your post that it is 5. This is info I probably won't need for 4 more years :)

I was going to ask from out of curiosity what the min was for a GS. I'll take it from your post that it is 5. This is info I probably won't need for 4 more years :)

Bill, I believe a GS can be booked by a single.

Yes the cabin space is larger - the balcony will be this wonderful Oasis for your wife in the morning - please at least put it on a courtesy hold before I have heart failure - it is a desirable cabin and I'm terrified someone will take it before you make a firm decision - and if you go with it in the end you will thank all of us who advised you to take it because you will love it!! And if you don't love it I'm going in the witness protection program because I don't like people to be mad at me!!

I think staying in the two-bedroom is out on the idea of saving so much money.

I'm in for the JS. (more space & double cruise points_

Wife still thinks D1 (she's not a spender) but i'm persuading her. lol

Does anyone know if 1602's cabin space is larger, or just the balcony? Wifey has breakfast on balcony alone usually while kids and I sleep in. Otherwise we hardly ever go out there.

It's really just her sanctuary for a few hours in the morning.

and hi micmacmissy....

Our youngest daughter is our "Celebrity Reflection" baby. At our wedding dinner onboard Independence we sat at the table with both our parents, who all agreed we needed to leave the reception and get to our room and get to work on a "a boy" Well, we started, and wound up with another beautiful little girl :-)

MTSU, I would love to see some pics of cabin 1602, and of the two bedroom suite.

I don't have any pictures, but the interior of 1602 is the same size as any other JS on the ship. And the room service delivery will have to step over all of you to get to the balcony. But don't forget that you'll have a coffeemaker in the JS, which you won't get in the D-1.

Serenade is a beautiful ship with an outstanding crew. I was on her last week, and it was a great experience, other than all of the Alpha calls.:eek:

Bill, I believe a GS can be booked by a single.

It can. [not directed at you]OP has the TS, a/k/a Royal Family Suite booked, which has a minimum of 5, at least until closer in to the sailing date.

I'd still do Hawaii. The weather is better in March, the whales are still there and the flight really isn't that bad, especially if you're going to break it up in Seattle at least one way.

Edited by critterchick

I'll be doing a full review with pictures for sure so hope that helps! I'm in the aft so I'll take a few pics down the hall too. Excited about the cruise but also so excited about IKEA coming to Memphis!!! Ha! A big day!!!

Thanks for all you do for Memphis. As a former media member who now works for a "local children's research hospital" we appreciate all you do!

It'll be here before you know it! Congrats on the choice!

You're so kind, but honestly, the work you guys do for children all around the world out does anything I even think about.

We're excited about IKEA as well.

If only we can get RCI to figure out how to get a ship all the way up the Mississippi. :-)

I look forward to your review, I have been hoping to hear from folks since the ship has been back in NOLA.

Now, I can finally book a hotel for the night before.... or crash with my Dad for the night... hmmmm.

If you need any advice for NOLA activities the night before or after I'll be happy to help.

Now off to plan the next one.

lol

Can grandma keep at least the 1yr old.... I have kept my 3 Grandbabies (2 in diapers) so mom & dad could go on a cruise on 3 occasions. When they where really little the other grandma came with me and it was sooo much easier.

Bottom line I can't imagine taking a baby on a cruise, screams misery to me! JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed with our oldest daughter, when she was that age with no problems at all.

We enjoyed it, and having the nursery is a huge help at night when we do choose to get away for a tiny bit.

We left our 5 year old with my wife's brother/sister-in-law and sailed alone in 2013. She was so disappointed not to come with us and we were missing her constantly. Of course she broke her arm so that's why we were probably hyper aware of her not being there.

We are a tight knit, kid focused, little family, and the 4 of us will be just fine.

I bet the JS will work out fine. Snd maybe a suite will open up.

One other option (maybe you considered it already) would be connecting balcony cabins. you'd have space and privacy. you could take an inflatable pool/ tub for the little one. You have to be certain the childproof door lock worked correctly, of course. It might be worth pricing out if any are available.