Need Info on Quebec Hotels and Dining

chrismch

We will be doing a fall cruise next year which begins in Quebec and we plan on doing a pre-cruise stay. We've never been there before and need advice for booking a hotel.

We'd like something under $200 that has comfy beds (like you get on ships) and is quiet. We don't want to have to deal with noisy heaters that will click on and off all night or deal with outside traffic noise. Would like it to be nearby places to eat that are eclectic in style and price.

If you have suggestions for restaurants that would be great as well.

You can look at Trip Advisor to narrow down the search

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g155033-Quebec_City_Quebec-Hotels.html

I take it you mean Quebec City so I would look in old town area lots of eateries & very walkable

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g155033-Quebec_City_Quebec-Vacations.html

Yep, I'm familiar with TripAd, but I was hoping for some follow-up for my questions on noise.

The last hotel I stayed at in Vancouver was a great location and nice amenities. However, no one mentioned the noise from the A/C that was worse than the traffic noise on the street.

I've only ever stayed at one hotel in Quebec, but based on reviews of other hotels and empirical research in the area, very few of the hotels in the Old Town section have central A/C. I'm afraid if you want to be close to the touristy sections, you are not going to find a hotel without some level of noisy A/C. That said, the times I have stayed in Quebec prior to cruises have been in October, and I can say that I if I needed the A/C it was only during the daytime. It was comfortable enough overnight not to worry with any kind of climate control.

For meals, we like to go to La Vieille Maison du Spaghetti on Grande Allee Est, though I'll be the first to admit it's not the fanciest of restaurants. It does have good food for reasonable prices and is not a far walk from the area where we like to stay.

This past stay in Quebec we discovered Paillard, which is a fast-food tip place serving soups and sandwiches, as well as having a patisserie and a gelateria in the shop. Again it's not fancy.

We're not really fancy restaurant people, but we did have one fancy meal at Le Pain Beni, but be warned this is ups relatively steep flight of stairs, with no elevator access, so if anyone in your party has problems walking it may not be a viable option. I can also recommend the Pub St. Patrick for a more traditional-style pub meal.

If you're interested, I blogged about my pre-cruise stay in Quebec in October 2013 on my travel blog in these three posts.

The Last 144 Miles (After First 10,357)

An Easy Day in Quebec

Up and Down, All Around the Town

Edited by ellieanne

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your stay in Quebec City. I have no desire for fancy restaurants since I will be treated to that on our ship, so your suggestions for eateries really fit my tastes. My DH loves pasta of all sorts so La Vieille Maison du Spaghetti really works. I love soups and salads so we'll have to try both your suggestions.

You also remind me that I should refresh my French before I go, which I enjoy having the opportunity to do. And I also need to do some history study on Quebec.

Receiving these tips is why I like CC since it is so interactive.

To me one of the best kept secrets of dining in Quebec city is the very elegant dining room located in the Quebec Parliament building (door to extreme left when facing the building) and open for breakfast & lunch Monday - Friday.... For Quebec city very affordable...

• 3 weeks later...

We will be flying to Quebec City late the evening before our cruise. Since we've never been to Quebec City and our arrival will be quite late, we're looking for a hotel for the night that isn't too expensive. We've never been to Quebec City and don't know the area. We appreciate any advice or suggestions regarding hotel, transportation from airport to hotel, and from hotel to cruise port.