Food on the Jewel feedback

Looking to book the Jewel for a cruise in April. However 2 coworkers just sailed on the Jewel Dec 13-20th sailing and their biggest complaint was not getting hot food served hot and the lack of variety on the buffet and MDR.

We are deciding between The Jewel or The Summit, leaning towards the Jewel for their ports, but the food issues they encountered concerns me.

Is this a normal thing for The Jewel or was their experience just a bad cruise week. I know the conversation of food is very subjective and each persons tastes are different but hot food served hot and variety on the buffet menus is a pretty standard expectation.

We were on the Jewell in April and though we didn't eat in the MDR we had no complaints with the Windjammer (and my Hubby is a PICKY eater!)

We enjoyed our cruise even though my DH missed a flow-rider, but we did the ports that included Dominica and Tortola and those were our favorite! We actually liked it so much we are bringing 2 of our adult daughters and SIL back on April 25th.

We were on the Jewel on Dec 6 and found the food very good and of good variety. There was a theme everyday in the Windjammer for lunch (printed in the compass - I don't remember seeing this before) such as All American, Caribbean, South American, and Asian. We were disappointed in service at Portofino but happy with the MDR and Windjammer. Actually we found we had better food than most other cruises, particularly in the windjammer (much better than last week Dec 14 on the Adventure). My mother did mention that her eggs benedict was cold one morning in the dining room but that is the only time anyone had an issue with temperature, and we had no problems with quality.

biggest complaint was not getting hot food served hot and the lack of variety on the buffet and MDR.

I've been on Jewel twice and found two somewhat different experiences so your mileage might vary. In 2012 out of Tampa we had the best food cruise ever, great service and a few items I'd never had before on Royal in the main dining room. I also found this ship to have one of the best windjammer's in the fleet for appearance and food. Sure of the same old stuff, but really good ribs one night, pork chops the other and a couple of nice desserts.

The 2nd time we got lousy service in the dining room and didn't finish dinner till 11pm , thought it was hot, and we were the last ones out. Still enjoyed the WJ though.

The only real abnormality I noticed both times was they don't know how to cut bacon on this ship. They cook it in sheets and throw it on the pile. I am usually happy with 3 or 4 pieces, but it was hard to pick up one or two with those tongs. Overall, we had a good time.

Edited by BillOh

We were on the Jewell in April and though we didn't eat in the MDR we had no complaints with the Windjammer (and my Hubby is a PICKY eater!)

We enjoyed our cruise even though my DH missed a flow-rider, but we did the ports that included Dominica and Tortola and those were our favorite! We actually liked it so much we are bringing 2 of our adult daughters and SIL back on April 25th.

I too like the southern ports. Jewel changes its itinerary slightly. Interesting that your two favorite ports were ones not on our itinerary. I will have to go back Just curious, what part of PA?

Just off JOS (southern caribbean) in October ...have always loved the JOS and the food ... but wasn't impressed with the MTD options the few times we tried it...

WJ food was fine however the desserts were very repetative each night during the dinner hours...many times my favorite bread pudding wasn't served at all or it was eaten up so fast and they would keep replacing it with the mystery berry cobbler (yuck).

Over all the desserts on most all RCI ships has for a long time now leaned toward geletin based no taste options...Everytime I get a chance either in person or on my guest survey's, I bring up this fact....

RCI needs to be more concerned about how their desserts taste...they may look good but taste isn't a priority at all anymore.

We sailed on the Jewel in November and thought the food was wonderful, even the beef (which I usually stay away from on a cruise). I can still taste the rack of lamb. Lobster, shrimp and fish were good as well.

If you are concerned, think about what you see your co-workers eating at work. If they are into hamburgers and such, there wasn't much of a choice on the Jewel -- just a small grill.

The Jewel is a classic, beautiful ship. I am sure you will enjoy any cruise on her.

@BillOh- We are about an hour south or Erie and 2 hours north of Pittsburgh.

The itinerary we are going on is April 25th it is only available this date. (Tortola they are working on the port. We are hoping they don't change it at the last minute:(! ) The one tour guy we have booked said it was the last one of the season.

I would never let someone else's negative view on something as subjective as food give my vacation any sway. Jewel is phenomenal. You simply must. :D

OP- I agree with the above statement.

We sailed Jewel and had no problem with food and had most of our meals in the WJ. Plenty of options and nice and hot!!

Food is so subjective, if food is important to you (as in part of the experience vs something filling to fuel you) then choose another cruise line- People don't cruise Royal for the food, the bulk of the reviews bear that out- Royal gets superior marks for entertainment and activities, and not such superior marks for food.

Thanks for all the feedback. New to Royal, having sailed on MSC, Princess and Carnival. MSC, in my opinion had the best food options, - who can resist homemade pasta and real Italian desserts and gelato made on board.

I just found their statement odd and disappointing something I didn't expect to hear. While we are not picky eaters, we still want to enjoy a good selection of options.

The ports in the end are going to be the deciding factor.