San Juan.....At a Loss

I've been searching the forums for some idea of what to do in San Juan while we are there. We are docked from 7AM to 2PM. The ships excursions do not seem like a lot of fun.

Has anyone been there and found anything that they like to do? We will have a 17 month old and 3 year old with us.

Almost everything I did read about SJ was not positive. I'm sure someone found something they liked there! :rolleyes:

It's the only port that we don't know what to do at yet!

Thanks for the help (oh, and before anyone mentions it, I did already post this on the Port of Call board).

I am not sure why you have found nothing positive on this port. I very much liked walking a round Old San Juan. It is quite beautiful. I trip to the fort El Morro is well worth the time. It is a fun place to explore and the views of the bay a beautiful.

I also vote for Old San Juan! El Morro is very historic, the views of the bay are wonderful, and the streets are cobblestone, with fun little shops and restaurants! If you are taking along a 17-month old and a 3-year old, you should bring along a couple of strollers, though. It will be hot and humid while you are there.

There's a lot to do in San Juan - Old San Juan, El Morro, the beaches, and El Yunque are all worth the trip. Our favorite thing to do is to tool around Old San Juan and go to El Morro. With the cobble stone streets and narrow sidewalks, it's not the most stroller-friendly place, though.

You could take a cab to El Morro - the fort is wonderful, and if your 3 year old is into pirates, etc., he may enjoy it. There's also a large meadow near the fort wear the kids can just run around and burn off some steam. After that, hit the Hard Rock cafe (right near the pier) for a cool lunch and some refreshing beverages for mom and dad.

We love Old San Juan. It's an interesting and unique place, sort of what I would expect the old cities in Spain to be like. Lots of plazas, old, old buildings with wrought iron balconies dripping with flowers, El Morro, the old San Juan Cathedral, the fort at San Sebastion, the city gates, tons of statues, good shopping and very nice people. If you happen to stumble on a shop called "The Butterfly People" check it out. It is amazing! Also, try to find your way to the pigeon park, called Parque de la Pigeon or something like that. We will be there in October and even after visiting there 5 or 6 times, I look forward to it. The other part of San Juan (city) is pretty dreary, but Old San Juan is lovely.

When we were there last fall it was election day, so many things were closed. We had scheduled a tour of the Bacardi distillery, but the factory was closed so the tour was cancelled. We ended up walking around, shopping, and visiting El Morro. It was all enjoyable.

We've been to San Juan 3-4 times and all different times of the day. When we were there last September, we didn't want to wait at the airport all day for our return flight, so we booked the Bacardi tour. I wasn't thrilled about it, but once we got there, we loved it! The Distillery is one of...if not THE...largest in the world. It's all state of the art and the grounds are gorgeous! We were very impressed! You walk through certain parts, sit and listen in a theater type setting for some, ride on a tram through some and it's all somewhat at your own pace. I'm sure the kids would love it...but I do remember seeing kids when we were there. You also learn about the family who started Bacardi and all their history. It has a very nice gift shop with fairly reasonable prices! We thoroughly enjoyed it! A nice perk is there are free samples of the Rum!

Like I said...I'm sure if the kids will love it...but at least there is a little variety throughout the tour. Old San Juan is pretty much just shopping and food...the Castle is gorgeous...but all walking. Depending on when your going (I forgot if you stated that in your OP), it's pretty hot...so keep that in mind!

Hope this helps!

Take care-

I was there for that amount of time with my 5 yr old and my 22 mos old.

We walked around Old San Juan. The little one was in a stroller and the older one enjoyed just looking around. You can shop and take leisurly strolls around the area.

I didn't get to El Morro but I imagine that would be a great place to 'safely' let your kids kinds stretch their legs (all within your sight, of course). I think it is pretty big so the kids could just explore.

SJ was one of my favorite ports. I can't imagine negative reviews. It is lovely and the architecture is so interesting. The perfect place to just venture out on your own as a lot of stuff is within walking distance.

Whew!

Thanks so much for the tips. I guess I just got 'lucky' and only picked the bad reviews to read! :rolleyes:

I have 'sit & strolls' for the kiddos, so we have car seats, stoller & booster seat all in one (love it).

It sounds like Old San Juan, El Morro & Hard Rock Cafe would be good choices for us. The Barcardi Rum distillery sounds fun too, but I think we'll do that some time when we don't have the kids seeing how a few drinks and I'm ready for a nap!:D

It also sounds like I should just do it on my own, no tour needed.

Thanks again for the replies! I was getting nervous!

I loved San Juan so much after my first cruise stop there that I seriously looked into moving there after college. Before that happened, though, I met my husband and ended up moving to where he was stationed after college, so I never did get to live there. The fort is great, and the field there will be great for your 3 year old to let off some steam. Plus, the views from there are spectacular. If you don’t want to walk (it is a fairly long walk), just catch a cab. There are a lot of parks and squares, plenty of shopping, beautiful buildings, and friendly people. Maybe a trip to the rainforest? As someone mentioned earlier, Butterfly People is very cool, and your older one will love it.

If you do decide to take the kids to Fort Morro for some play time -- there are grassy lawns with beautiful views. There is also a strong wind. When I was there many local families were flying all kinds of kites. I bet your kids would love to do this.

Enjoy.

Make sure to know which pier you dock at in San Juan. There is the main pier at the foot of Old San Juan and their is also the PanAmerican pier a short drive away toward Condado.

From either I would start by taking a cab to El Morro. After exploring the fort stroll into OSJ and downhill to the main pier. If you're docked there then you're home. If your docked at the PanAm pier then hop another cab to complete the journey.

Thanks for more good ideas.

How do I find out what Pier I am docking at?

It may say it in your cruise docs when they come or you could call RCI customer service. They MIGHT give you the correct answer. It is not listed on the RCI web site.

Usually, the down town piers are used for cruises that are stopping as part of the itinerary, like your cruise, and the Pan Am pier is used for cruises that begin and end in San Juan. But that may not always be the case and it may not be how your cruise will work.

There is a closer fort than El Morro (I think it's Cristobel?) that is in walking distance (adjacent to waterfront and old downtown) that is also very cool and a lot easier to get to than the other. Cool cannons, a real dungeon, etc, you walk through on your own pace.

There is a closer fort than El Morro (I think it's Cristobel?) that is in walking distance (adjacent to waterfront and old downtown) that is also very cool and a lot easier to get to than the other. Cool cannons, a real dungeon, etc, you walk through on your own pace.

This fort is close to Old San Juan? within walking distance?:confused:

The Old San Juan area is one of our favorite areas in Puerto Rico. I am sure your 3 year old would love exploreing either fort. If you go to El Moro, be sure to walk up the street leading to the El Convento Hotel. There is a plaza right in front of it with really fun bronze statues of nonsensical creatures. There is also Plaza de las Palomas - Pigeon Plaza! It is just south of the intersection of Calle Fortaleza and Calle del Cristo. It is filled with pigeons who will land on your arms if you have food for them which of course you can buy right there. You may also enjoy simply strolling the paved walkways between the sea and the city wall. It is beautiful with many informative plaques along the way.

We also have enjoyed touring the capitol in San Juan. It's a beautiful building with lots of colorful mosaics. On our last cruise, we took a cab to the botanical gardens near the university. They are wonderful, although you have to go through questionable neighborhoods to get there. Our cab driver gave us his phone number to call when we were finished. The woman at the gatehouse called for us. Everyone was very nice and friendly. It's a shame these beautiful gardens aren't closer. It was $20 cab fare each way plus tip. Since we went with another couple, it turned out to be cheaper than any shore excursion through the ship--plus we still had time to see Fort San Cristobal. Here's a link to the National Park Service info.

Archived