Packing for the Galapagos

Mekka

My wife and I are booked for the Galapagos in February and are starting to think about packing. We've looked at the packing list that Silversea recommends and had a couple of questions.

Do you need real hiking boots or can you get by with river sandals (like Chacos or Tevas)?

They provide a waterproof/resistant backpack. Their website is a bit contradictory on this. Is the backpack the OR daypack that they sell on their website? In one spot they describe it as waterproof and elsewhere as water resistant. Is it sufficiently waterproof to protect gear during Zodiac rides or do you need to bring along dry sacks as well?

We are taking them at their word that the dress code is informal all the time. I hope this is true, as we aren't planning to bring anything dressy.

Were there other things you wished you had brought that were not on their packing list?

In the Setting Sail Guide they recommend that you bring binoculars. On the website they say they will provide them. Do we need to bring our own?

We are planning to bring as little as possible and use just a carry on bag for the flights. Are there any laundry facilities on the ship or just their service?

Is there a boutique/shop on board? I don't see one on the deck plan. We have quite a bit of cabin credit to spend and I'm not sure how to use it. I guess we can always opt for massages.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provde.

issue. It is not waterproof, nor is it strong. If you have camera gear i suggest you bring a dry sack. Or something to keep your stuff dry. I would not put anything heavy in the backpack. We have been on the discoverer and the explorer and both times the backpack was the same.

Both times we brought ziplock bags as well for other stuff we did not want to get wet, but I would not trust that for a good camera.

There were no binoculars on the discoverer or the explorer.

Hopefully someone can respond to the other questions.

Some of the terrain is difficult. We used tevas, one of my soles ripped off, so consider hiking boots

There are binoculars, 10x50, but quite beat up, some better than others.

No dress-up clothes needed, ever. There are always some who dress up, though.

Very little offered for shopping, A couple of tiny window displays, but must say we didn't ask to see more.

No laundry, but you can have it done at a high price. Silver Suite category includes laundry.

The backpacks are the same as the ones they give you on explorer, I believe. I have 2 different versions of that one, and neither is water proof, just soft of water resistant.

As far as hiking boots, I would take at least hiking shoes. I rarely hike in actual boots these days, really only when I want the higher top for warmth or protection, but the strong tough soled hiking shoes are very good. A lot of the hiking is on lava, so pretty rough surface.

The dress code is definitely casual. Gents could wear a jacket but few do.

The backpack is flimsy and I would not trust anything heavy in it. Our zip was self-opening.

The ship binoculars are bulky and heavy and we appreciated having pocket ones.

There is no shop but toiletries, blue booby jewellery (!) and Silversea logo caps and t shirts are available from the reception desk.

The massage I had on board was excellent.

There is no self service laundry but the paid for service is fine and speedy.

I only had water sandals (Tevas) and sneakers and found that was fine as far as footwear goes.

Two ladies were on board with us for back to back 14 nights and they managed with carry on but it wouldn't be for me.

I was glad I had a rash vest for wear under the wetsuit when snorkelling it makes the wetsuit comfortable and protects you from the sun.

Bring plenty of waterproof sun screen.

Think how many photos you might take and double it, so a spare camera memory card is a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could use your shipboard credit on:

a. internet - $140 for the week

b. Ship's photographer DVD - $175

c. massages

d. laundry

I would definitely take hiking/walking shoes - there are some hikes over boulders where more support would be better, plus if you are the north/central itinerary there is a hike at Punta Pitt that climbs up a fairly steep canyon - you wouldn't want to do that in water shoes or sandals.

The backpack is probably not even water resistant - maybe fine for a few splashes from the zodiac, but definitely not a soak.

There was one pair of binoculars in our cabin, but they are bulky - we never used them - pretty much everything is quite close to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, while they have walking sticks on board, they are actually wooden canes - not the adjustable Leki, REI, etc. walking poles that are available on the Silver Explorer. For me they were too short (I am 5'6") , so essentially useless and not worth taking along on an excursion. Take your own if you like to use them.

Not sure about jeans in the dining room. We didn't see any. Evenings were cool and if eating on deck you would need a pullover or cardigan but not jacket.

I would second the comment from lkbside that a good hiking pole comes in useful.

We had no rain and there is parka provided in the cabin.

As I mentioned before the only thing you may not have enough of is photographic cards. I also took quite a bit of video on my basic camera which uses lots of memory but was terrific.

Apart from that the Silversea packing list is pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...

A number of people had go pros. I did not carry my camera in a backpack while in the zodiac. If there was splashing I put the camera under my shirt. We brought baseball caps but ended up using the bush hats (with ties) because of the sun and sunburned ears!!! However, many people didn't wear any hats and wore sleeveless shirts! Yikes, I would have been a crispy critter😊 We did use sun screen all the time. I used my long sleeved sun protective shirts daily. Dress attire went from casual to dressy casual. We packed light!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I was asked what we wore for walking shoes on the islands. My husband and I wore trail walking / running shoes and we got along just fine. Others wore hiking boots but I don't think you need them. More support on feet would be helpful. Some people even wore Teva sandals. I would have wanted more support on my feet based on the rocks, med.boulders, we walked over and around.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We were on a June, 2014 cruise.

We didn't go on the "Strenuous" walks but on one of the shorter walks, I wore Teva shoes and one sole came off. Only noticed that when we got back onboard.

A few more questions please.

1. I understand there is no baggage help at the Baltra airport, correct? Are there buggies?

2. Is it worth us taking our own masks and snorkels? How many times will we be allowed to snorkel?

3. In the nice restaurant, I know jeans and shorts are not allowed. Are linen pants appropriate? Just trying to pack light. Don't want to fill up a zodiac with my luggage ;)

Any advice here is so appreciated!

1. There are no porters at Baltra airport but it is very small and the luggage is taken from you as soon as you have collected it and taken to the ship independently of the guests.

2. There is no need to take masks and snorkels and the ones on board are good quality and in good condition. We snorkelled 4 or 5times on the Western itinerary and 6 times on the Northern week.

3. Linen pants are ideal.