NZ ship's tour to Russell

Rosee

Am interested in doing a ship's tour (RCL) to Russell in Bay of Islands on our upcoming NZ cruise.

Can anyone advise whether the tender from the ship will go directly to Russell or alternatively go into Waitangi tender dock then a shuttle to Paiia (?) before taking a ferry across to Russell.

Seems to me the former alternative would be more time efficient, but I do not know if tendering at Russell is a possibility or not. If a ferry can dock there, I would think, so to, could a tender.

Appreciate any thoughts on the above,

Thanks,

Rosee

I wouldn't bother with the ships tour either. We got an early tender to Waitanga and then used the free shuttle bus to Paiia. We then bought ferry tickets to Russell and explored on our own. Russell is small and there are decent tourist information offices in Russell and near where the shuttle bus dropped us off.

On our way back the shuttle bus dropped us at the treaty ground which is very close to where the tenders drop off. All very easy to do on your own

When you get to Russell look for "Russell Mini Tours"

This is a short bus tour, with comentary, to areas that are too far to walk.

Thoroughly recommended. And I am NOT associated with this tour in any way.

Enjoy

Pete

I agree - skip the ship's excursion, very easy to do on your own. When you get off the tender, there'll be buses waiting that will take you to Paihia (free service). The bus will drop you outside the tousit info centre close to the ferry. Just jump on the ferry and explore yourself.

Thanks for all the helpful replies received. I think I'm convinced to go it alone now!

Just thought it might be quicker to go there straight from the ship.....if they went that way rather than to Pahia first.

Rosee

Thanks erehwon,

We go to NZ in Feb. We've been there before, but this time doing it in reverse direction from last time. Been to Paihia before and saw the ferry going to Russell, so this time thought we'd go there too!

Any plans at your end?

Rosee

Thanks erehwon,

We go to NZ in Feb. We've been there before, but this time doing it in reverse direction from last time. Been to Paihia before and saw the ferry going to Russell, so this time thought we'd go there too!

Any plans at your end?

Rosee

We have planned a cruise on the Noordam while she is out here.

Was reading on the HAL board that two laundrettes have been removed from the Volendam during the recent dry dock.

Wishing you a great February cruise.