Marseille and Avignon Questions

I gather the port of Marseille is a ways from the downtown area. However, it looks like it's not too terribly far from a metro stop. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get from where the cruise ships dock to a metro station? I'd prefer not to take a cab. I want to take the train to Avignon.

Also, do TGV trains require reservations? Is it easy to get to the TGV station to the main station or the center of town? Unfortunately, I'm going on a Saturday and the train service is a little spotty, so I have to time things well. Thanks.

I'm interested in knowing the same thing (including accurate price information). I do know the TGV has a separate station just outside Avignon and you have to shuttle it to the main station to get to the town. (The shuttle apparently runs every 15 min. but I'm not sure if this is on Saturday.) It makes it more difficult when you have to get to the Marseille station, then get the right train, and then if it is TGV, shuttle to the town (assuming you have reservations on the TGV, which apparently you need). It's a shame you're not on the Splendour of the Seas October 23 trip, because my wife and I would be interested in going to Avignon and Pont du Gard and we could have combined on a private day tour! There is someone who will take you for the day for 350E, but if you are like us, this is more than is affordable on your own. I will watch this thread because I'd love to go to Avignon myself.

I'm on Oceania and I don't want to pay the prices that they want for the excursion. I also don't want to hire a driver, given the cost. So I'm kind of in the same boat you are (well, different cruise line, but....)I'm hoping to do some more snooping around tomorrow, but I was hoping someone would reply with more definitive info. The SNCF web site was down a little while ago for maintenance, and an alternate site I checked for the TGV was a little confusing. The prices seemed awful high (something like 31 U.S. one-way for the TGV. Considering you have to take the shuttle from the TGV station into town, the time savings don't seem substantial enough to warrant taking the TGV. However, they're scheduled at better times - at least for a Saturday!!

If I were you I really would do the ship's tour. That is a hard area to get around on your own unless you rent a car for the day.By the time you get to all the train stations etc. and then into town etc.you would be seeing the area albeit from a bus,but you will see more on the tour especially if the tour goes to Les Baux.Just MHO.

Karen

Ü

I would never argue with other posters, but we have traveled in Europe for years (off ships and on land) and have never taken tours. Getting around is not normally a major problem as long as your do your pre-trip homework. However, if you one who worries about "missing the ship," "getting lost," etc etc than you should be on a tour. Personally, when in the Marseille area we prefer to rent our own car and drive. Provence is full of cute villages that you cannot access on a train. Avignon is a wonderful town, but its one of those places where its great to spend a few nights. During most of the summer Avignon hosts a great international music festival, and its a fun place every evening with street entertainers as well as the scheduled concerts. As to the TGV trains, all their seats are reserved! If there is available seats, you can buy tickets at the station on the day of your trip. However, if you want to be sure,, buy in advance.

Hank

Just as an aside..you can get around the area in Nice by train or bus much easier than in Marseilles,and the traffic in the Nice can be a bear.You may want to look into renting a car in Marseilles and doing Nice and that area by train.

Karen

Ü

Just off the Oceania Insignia - in Marseille we berthed way the hell from the port gate, so we took a cab downtown - around 20 Euros. I looked for obvious bus stops when the taxi left/returned to the port and didn't see them; maybe it's in a different place for those on foot. Once the cab takes you to the old port, you've got tons of transport options thence. I looked at getting a car for the day in Marseille and concluded I didn't want to fight Friday afternoon traffic back downtown after an excursion (we were going to head up to the Luberon.) Glad I didn't; the traffic was the pits and downtown Marseille is much nicer than it used to be. We had a fine old time shopping and eating instead of dropping a hundred euros or so for a car.

Renting a car in Nice isn't a great idea. There is bus and train service everywhere you'd want to go and they run very frequently. Traffic in this area is very, very heavy and you could be spending your time in stopped traffic.

TGV trains must have reservations. It's really not worth your time to go to Avignon and Pont de Gard. We have been there and it's best to go by car, but there are much better ways you could spend your day in that area.

Last May on the Costa Victoria, they laid on a free shuttle from the port of Marseille to the Old Harbour (Vieux Port). From there it is easy to walk to the train station and the metro stops right there too.

We will be there again next month on the Splendour and are hoping that RCCL will also provide a shuttle. This time we are planning a train trip to Aix-en-Provence.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just to follow up. Here's what we did: We took the train to Avignon from Marseille, but I found Avignon a bit too touristy for my liking. Oh well. The posters here were pretty much correct - Marseille is a tough port, but we managed. Took a taxi to the station and it wasn't cheap; however, in this port town it seemed the best alternative. A cheaper alternative would have been to take a cab to Joliette metro station and taken the subway to the train station. Do NOT, on the way back, take the subway to Bouganvielle station as we did, thinking it was closer to the port than Joliette. It was a crummy neighborhood and no cabs at the metro station or the nearby cab stand.

Of course, hiring a taxi for the day would have been wonderful, but we couldn't afford that. We rented a car in Nice, and although the traffic was a little heavy, it was no big deal. (We are used to heavy traffic, and have also driven a bit in Europe, so we're a bit fearless!) In Monte Carlo, of course, the traffic was VERY conjested - especially with the Grand Prix a week away! However, we found MC pretty interesting, so it was worth it. Also drove to les Trophie des Alpes area - huge roman structure still standing - very interesting!

A trip to Aix-en-Provence is hard to beat - it's a beautiful, elegant town which is ideal for strolling around and seeing the sights. It has some lovely pavement cafes where you can sit and soak up the atmosphere. There are Roman remains and many, many fountains.

Dave & Marge Morgan

Hi ClaudiaF:

I am from California, too (West LA) and I will be in Port of Marseilles July 4. Is it possible to do both Aix en Provence and Les Baux in the same day? I am only interested in seeing shops, drinking coffee in a picturesque cafe, take some nice photos and walk. I've done so mmany churnces, museums, tours that I would like to do something relaxing that day...without an agenda.

By the way, I can't find ANYONE on Splendour of the Seas leaving on July 3 out of Barcelona. I'm beginning to think I'm on the ship alone (and I am traveling alone as well!)

Is there anyone traveling on the same cruise?

Thanks for any info!

Cinnamon

We'll be on the Splendour in September and are concerned that Aix-en-Provence will be "closed" as we dock on Sunday. Will you let us know how you get on? Thanks

PS That's the one benefit of cruising later in the season - we get the benefit of other cruisers experience LOL

• 2 months later...
Renting a car in Nice isn't a great idea. There is bus and train service everywhere you'd want to go and they run very frequently. Traffic in this area is very, very heavy and you could be spending your time in stopped traffic.

TGV trains must have reservations. It's really not worth your time to go to Avignon and Pont de Gard. We have been there and it's best to go by car, but there are much better ways you could spend your day in that area.

I will be in this area in October and had looked forward to seeing something of Provence. I've heard Aix-en-Provence is a must. You have been to this area (?), what would you recommend? Best to do a private tour with small group(5-6)? I heard shops were closed on Sunday? :confused: Thanks for any tips!;)

Linda

Linda,

Aix en Provence is a great place but it is not the same on a Sunday though a lot of the restaurants and cafes are open and also the shops selling touristy things like calendars and post cards. It is so different on a normal shopping day, the city comes alive.

I loved Avignon as well. There is quite a bit to see in the old town with the walls and the church etc. We spent an enjoyable few hours just looking around. If you have a car, there are some wonderful wineries nearby and also Orange is not that far away. This a great town with a wonderful Roman ampitheatre and ruins. Well worth going to see. It even has a smaller version of the Arc d'triumph.

You could actually spend weeks in Provence, it is just so interesting.

Jennie

We hired a driver to pick us up at the port in Marseille on our recent cruise and we were able to visit Aix, Les Baux, and Arles all in one day. Aix is charming with a big open market and the artist Cezanne's studio, Les Baux is a delightful Medieval village, and Arles sits on the Rhone River with nice shops and an interesting Roman colliseum. I would recommend all three towns.

Our driver was Louisette Durand. Her website is taxidurand.com She was dependable, pleasant, and really knew her way around that area. She drives a nice airconditioned van. Her English is a little limited and there were a few times when I don't think she understood my questions, but no major communication problems. She has good suggestions on what to see, but is more of a driver than a tour guide. She does not provide a lot of information about the sites. She charged 350 euros for the day for four of us.

• 8 months later...

I'm trying to make a decision on which of HAL's ship tours to take. I'm traveling solo, so it really is my best option. Here are the three I'm interested in...which would you choose?!

Aix en Provence

A one-hour drive takes you via the highway to the charming old town of Aix en Provence for a walking tour of the Cours Mirabeau avenue, built in the 1600s. A verdant tunnel of foliage protects pedestrians from the heat of the Provençal sun. Aristocratic façades of old hotels line the Cours, with wrought iron balconies and finely carved doorways. The fountain dates back to 1743 and spouts forth warm water (93°F)-the Romans believed it had healing properties. Explore the old quarter and Saint Sauveur Cathedral, which has a Romanesque nave, a Merovingian baptistry, a Gothic section, all dating between the 5th and 17th centuries.

Chateau Neuf du Pape & Avignon

The most intoxicating of all the wines of the Rhône was named after the town of Chateau Neuf. Your coach will take you to the town whose original vineyards were planted on land belonging to the Avignon popes. Your first stop will be at a local winery to taste the yields of age-old tradition. Then you will continue to Avignon where lunch will be served. The city of Avignon is caretaker to the art and culture of the Vaucluse region-it sprawls along the banks of the Rhone River, surrounded by ramparts and dominated by the massive Dome Rock. The cathedral and the Palace of the Popes stand atop the rock, towering majestically over the rest of the town. After a guided tour, you will have some time at leisure in Avignon.

Le Castellet & Bandol Begin this excursion with a scenic drive to Le Castellet-a typical Provençal hilltop village-perched on wooded hills above the vineyards. This remarkable stronghold, formerly owned by the Lords of Les Baux, boasts well preserved ramparts, a carefully restored 12th-century church, and a castle dating back to the 11th century. Entering by the two fortified gates, called le portail and le portalet, you will start the visit with a guided walking tour around the narrow streets up to the castle which is now home to the town hall. Time at leisure allows you to explore the arts and craft workshops-painting, pottery, hollow-ware-before rejoining the motor-coach for a drive to the seaside resort of Bandol. Bandol is a pleasant, small resort on a pretty bay and is sheltered by high wooded slopes. Enjoy some free time for a refreshing drink in one of the inviting waterfront cafés, or take a stroll past the fashionable boutiques before returning to Marseille.

Archived