Real ID and airport security

mspink98

This isn't exactly cruise related, but more of a general air travel question. I know that not all states are compliant with the Real ID program on drivers licenses, but FL is. We have a star on our licenses to indicate that we're US citizens, but that's all it indicates to the best of my knowledge. My question has to do with using a Real ID license at the TSA checkpoint. My father in law insists that a Real ID license has allowed him to go through the PreCheck line (shoes on, laptop in bag, etc.) at the airport several times recently, and I'm sure he's just gotten lucky and/or come across lazy agents who didn't care to direct him to the other line.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Real ID indicator being a replacement for the PreCheck interview and fingerprinting process?

REAL ID is not a trusted traveler document, so it does not give you PreCheck line privileges. Your FIL was just lucky he was randomly selected to populate the line, along with those who paid and went through the background checks to actually get PreCheck eligibility.

Edited by slidergirl