What are my options?/What would you do?

Roberta Rader

In July of this year I booked 2 adjoining balcony cabins on the Dream. We are booked to sail this coming August. My husband and I are in one cabin and my teenage daughter and her friend are in the other. Last week, my daughter and her friend had an argument and decided to part ways. Consequently, the friend is not going with us on the cruise. My husband's and my cabin is about $200 from being paid in full. I have paid little more so far than the $500 required to book the other cabin in the event that just such a thing would happen. What are my options at this point? We booked early saver. Can I cancel the other cabin and put our daughter in our cabin with us? I was really looking forward to the privacy separate cabins would give us though. I believe I have read on this forum that name changes are not allowed, so swapping one friend for another is out, correct? Or do I just finish paying for the other cabin even though it will only be occupied by one person? What would you do?

Get another "friend" to go...you can change the other occupant's name! Was the other person paying for their part? If not, and you were going to pay for them, make the offer to another friend...keep your privacy and your daughter will have someone to hang out with!

With early saver, you would not be able to change the passenger out without losing your deposit. Unfortunately, your daughter and her friend are "married" to that deposit. Where one goes, so does the other.

You'll have to call Carnival about putting her in your room. They may be able to save her $250 deposit. But the friends $250 is long gone unless you just pay the full price for the room and let the friend no show.

Dang. I'd probably try for a name change if it isn't too pricey.

This is the second time this week I have seen issues on canceling by non-family that have left someone holding the bag. Makes me more determined to review the terms of my agreement and NEVER book a cruise for someone without cash in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will lose 50.00 on your daughter to change to your cabin. You will lose 250 for the friend who gets to use that 200 on a future cruise within the year.

Or you can leave the daughter in the booking...ask another person to go. And book a cabin for three---

One of the reasons I never allowed friends on family vacations. Sorry

I can do a name change? Oh, that would be wonderful! We were paying ourselves. I was under the impression I couldn't do a name change.

I booked early saver and they let me do a name change in one of our cabins with no fee. I thinks it just depends on who you talk to and it would be worth a try.

I have read on here that if you can prove that YOU paid for the deposit for the friend, they will transfer the money to you as a credit to be used on another cruise. You still lose the $50 fee. Then maybe you can add another friend to the reservation.

I have not done this myself, so no first hand experience.

Maggie

I have read on here that if you can prove that YOU paid for the deposit for the friend, they will transfer the money to you as a credit to be used on another cruise. You still lose the $50 fee. Then maybe you can add another friend to the reservation.

I have not done this myself, so no first hand experience.

Maggie

Yes. Whoever's credit card was used is who is issued the future cruise credit. It can also be transferred to anyone else for a $20 fee. It cannot be used towards a deposit - just the remaining balance of a cruise. I have done this.

I do name changes quite often for my clients. Yes, even with ES. Sometimes the system doesn't generate a penalty, sometimes it charges $50.

Just call Carnival, your PVP or whoever you booked with and they will take care of this.

I do name changes quite often for my clients. Yes, even with ES. Sometimes the system doesn't generate a penalty, sometimes it charges $50.

Just call Carnival, your PVP or whoever you booked with and they will take care of this.

What Isa65 said. I did a name change on a cruise I went on this past Nov. I was under an early saver fare as well. I did have a $50 penalty for changing the name of a person in a second cabin.

A bit off of the subject but if she can add another person could she also (just for booking purposes) have one adult and one teen in each room so they only have to buy one cheers package? I've read many posts where people don't buy the package because one person doesn't drink enough to make it worth it.

A bit off of the subject but if she can add another person could she also (just for booking purposes) have one adult and one teen in each room so they only have to buy one cheers package? I've read many posts where people don't buy the package because one person doesn't drink enough to make it worth it.

I also changed people around from the way I had originally booked. The answer in my case was yes I was able to. Again, there was a $50 fee for me to do so.

I had booked two rooms, changed the name of one person completely, and had also moved people.

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone who posted feedback. I really appreciate your input and advice. I'm sooooo glad I didn't jump the gun and call Carnival and make any changes because as it turns out, my daughter and her friend have made amends and are looking forward to the cruise. Let's hope they can keep it up until August. I did learn my lesson though. From now on, no one but family gets booked, especially when it's a year in advance. Thanks again!