Kids Activites Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Falmouth?

macdon221

Good Day All,

Sailing on the FOS in February. I have Sailed RC before but not with our children. Does anyone have any kid friendly activites/excursions to recommend at these destinations? Our kids range in age from 10 to 6 years old.

Thanks

Macdon221

The Hilton for a day in Falmouth has a nice lazy river ride with several slides also available...transportation and food is included along with drinks for the adults as well.

Multiple pools, plenty of chairs and a nice beach as well.

I have a 7 yr. old who has been there three times and wants to go back again in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our kids were 16, 10, and 8 when we went this past summer.

Grand Cayman

Captain Marvin's Stingray City (8 year old wasn't crazy about that) & Snorkel

Captain Marvin's Hell & Turtle Farm tour

Falmouth

10yo & I stayed on the ship. DW took the other two shopping at the port shops

Cozumel

Chakanaab Doliphin Swim (everyone LOVED), snorkel, sea lion show. Booked directly with Chakanaab

My 5 year old twin boys enjoyed Playa Mia Beach Break in Cozumel and in Falmouth we stayed in port and went to Margaritaville. We went on Allure so we did not visit Grand Cayman

Playa Mia was pricey but a lot was included, we had the beach, a kids splash park with water slides, water trampolines and paddle boats, several pools, lunch and an open bar was also included.

Margaritaville is right in port and they have a really nice pool that was free to use.

My suggestions. My son is 12.

Grand Cayman - Hands down...the Turtle Farm excursion. It's wonderful and my son still talks about being able to get in the wading pools with the baby sea turtles and pick them up.

Cozumel - We have done the Dolphin Swim at Chakanaab. Loved it. Not wanting to repeat it when we went back to Cozumel, we went to Nachi Cocom Beach Club last time and we loved that too. When we go back to Cozumel, we'll do Nachi Cocom again...for what we got $ wise and the privacy and beauty of the beach, we actually liked it better.

Falmouth - We've done both the Irie Mon Beach Break and the Catamaran sail. Loved them both.

Edited by shutterbug63

Just back from Cozumel with 6yr old and went to paradise beach. $15 taxi from port, $3 for sunbed or $20 for full use of floating mats, snorkel gear and water inflatables. They have a beautiful pool and the food is good. Nachi Cocum is lovely too but pool better at Paradise.

Yes, We're in the same boat.. going to all 3 of those.

We have a 6 year old and 1 year old.

I"m lost in Falmouth... I think perhaps just a beach day there. It will be our first land day after two days at sea on a low key ship, so I want to make this one good, and I'm a bit lost as to what will entertain my 6 year old and my wife who has the spirit of a 16 year old.

Me and the 1 year old will be happy anywhere.

Grand Cayman, is always stingrays for me. It's the day I get to be selfish as it's my favorite place in the world. But 6 year old was scared to get in the water last time.... she was 4 then.

and certainly one of us will have to stay in boat with 1-year old.

Has me thinking about turtle farm, but I'll be gross and 100% honest. The one time I went there, I couldn't handle it and had to leave. There was tons of turtle poop floating in the top of all the pools.

It was so gross, i couldn't stay. maybe it was just a bad day I don't know. Yes the turtles were amazing but there was just as much poop as there were turtles and so I haven't been back.

Cozumel --- My 6-year old really wants to swim with the Dolphins. So Chakanaab is likely on the list. Does anyone have an alternate way of getting there other than taxi? Say a bus?

We shared a mini van taxi with another family to head there last year. My wife and the other mom we met were saying they were very nervous about putting kids in taxi sans car seat. Me and other dad agreed but said we would make it. Just a short drive.... youngest kid was 4. We are bad dad's i know. but we did.

Anyway, driver was NUTS. She literally floored the pedal of this toyota minivan and we were going 90mph on the along road into the park. She starts passing cars by weaving into the oncoming lane of traffic and weaving back.

Me and the other dad are yelling at the top of our lungs for her to stop now.

It was bad.

Drive back was fine, but I won't be able to convince my wife to make that trip again without us renting a car, or finding a tour/shuttle bus.

Any ideas?

Whatever happened to that cool mini golf place in Cozumel from years ago? I never went but said I would when I have kids. now I never see anyone mention it.

My two cents...

Grand Cayman:

Stingray City is tough for kids under 10, in my opinion. Waves aren't big, but with depths of 4+ feet it is hard for kids. Private excursion we used (it was either Nativeway or Cpt Marvin, I can't remember) did NOT have kid sized masks or fins, either, so bring your own if you do that, and be prepared to hold on to the smaller kids. My 12 year old did fine, my 10 year old struggled in the water.

Seven Mile Beach is GORGEOUS and might be a better option.

Cozumel:

Look at one of the beaches...I don't think Nachi Cocum allows kids, but there are others that do...look at the Cozumel board for good reviews. Chankanaab seems to be popular.

Falmouth:

Ugh...not a great port. I wouldn't take my kids out unless on a ship sponsored excursion. We did Chukka Beach, and it wasn't great. I don't think they even offer it anymore. That might be a good stay to wander around the port and then have the ship to yourselves!

Edited by micmacmissy

Hey missy!!

Thanks for the advice.

We always do Nativway on Stingray city. We usually do the rays and the beach break.

My daughter loves Rum Point Beach, they have a great little cove perfect for her and I think our new little honeymoon princess.

I am thinking of mixing in something else. but I think we will be ok on Grand Cayman.

As you know we got married in Mo Bay, and i'd really like to go back and not just hang on the plaza. Since we're sailing Serenade which isn't much of a "wow"ship. I don't think there will be much to do onboard. Also after two days as sea I know we'll be eager for a change of scenery.

Cozumel.... may be our beach day, but the 6-year old really wants to Dolphin swim, but I think there might be one in Jamaica too.

My kids ALL time favorite excursion was in Jamaica...Paradise Falls!!! NOT to be confused with Dunn falls...totally different and worth the extra drive. Something they will always remember. My kids ages ranged from 7-14.

Second best ALL Time excursion...Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman (we've booked with Stingray Sailings 3 different times. And have never been disappointed.

Cozumel we spent the the day at Paradise beach. The kids had fun there.

My kids ALL time favorite excursion was in Jamaica...Paradise Falls!!! NOT to be confused with Dunn falls...totally different and worth the extra drive. Something they will always remember. My kids ages ranged from 7-14.

Second best ALL Time excursion...Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman (we've booked with Stingray Sailings 3 different times. And have never been disappointed.

Cozumel we spent the the day at Paradise beach. The kids had fun there.

We just did this itinerary with a 4 and 9 year old.

Falmouth - we stayed on the ship

Grand Cayman - we did 7 mile beach. We took a cab to the Royal Palms and used their beach, rented chairs and an umbrella and spent the morning there. Did some shopping prior to getting back on the ship. My husband rented a wave runner. Perfect beach day.

Cozumel - we did the dolphin encounter (not the push pull swim one), because my youngest couldn't do the push pull part. The encounter was plenty. This was at Chankanaab. We booked directly through RCCL. This was perfect too because the water was really choppy and we actually had to hold each others life vests to prevent us from falling off the platform.

the water was really choppy and we actually had to hold each others life vests to prevent us from falling off the platform.

This is my only worry about the Dolphin swim.

I've done it in Nassau where it's in an enclosed lagoon and there are no waves, it's awesome.

I did it in Cozumel and all 220pounds of me had trouble handling the waves, I can't imagine my 32 pound 5 year old handling the waves.

So the encounter, with no swim is just as choppy?

Hmmm... she might have to wait for Nassau.

Has anyone done Dolphins in Jamaica?

We are booked at Mr. Sanchos in cozumel, they have the shallowest ocean toys of any place I could find. Excellent Trip Advisor Reviews.

Fallmouth we are doing the RCI excursion that includes the farm and school visit, I want my girls to see what life is like in other countries, plus I am going to bring some school supplies.

Am curious to hear more reviews about the dolphin excursion in Cozumel. This is the second time I've read a post with concerns about swimming with the dolphins. My son, at 5 will meet the age and exceed the height requirements. Is the tour that dangerous? If so, why on earth would they list the swim with dolphins excursion as 5 and up? I know that especially my older kids REALLY want to swim with the dolphins, so I guess am cautiously optimistic that it won't be that bad for the 5-year-old as long as an adult is in the water with him.

Am curious to hear more reviews about the dolphin excursion in Cozumel. This is the second time I've read a post with concerns about swimming with the dolphins. My son, at 5 will meet the age and exceed the height requirements. Is the tour that dangerous? If so, why on earth would they list the swim with dolphins excursion as 5 and up? I know that especially my older kids REALLY want to swim with the dolphins, so I guess am cautiously optimistic that it won't be that bad for the 5-year-old as long as an adult is in the water with him.

I think he'll be fine. My son was 9 when we did this. You are in an enclosed area in the ocean with the dolphins. The whole group stands on a platform in the water (with lifejackets on) as each person does their "swim" with the dolphins. Each person can do as many or as few of the activities during the swim as they're comfortable with. I did the all of them including the boogie board ride and the dolphin push. My son didn't want to do those, so he just did the kiss and hug and interacted with the dolphin. He's on the small side and was comfortable with that.

In Falmouth we did the Irie Blue Hole tour with Liberty Tours Jamaica. Everyone in my family agrees that it was hands down the best excursion we have ever been on. The Liberty Tours guys were all really great, the falls were really pretty, and because it is a private tour that you book yourself instead of one ran by the ship, there were only a few other families there so it was not crowded at all. I would highly recommend it. It costs less than the ship run tours too.

You have the opportunity to jump off some cliffs into the water, swing from rope swings, etc., so I'd say it's best for older kids. My kids were 15 and 12 at the time and loved it.

Thank you for your comments on the Dolphin Swim. Your scenario is close to what we had originally thought. Worst case, if it looks like it is too bad- perhaps they would let just him interact on the platform while everyone else swims?

The two times we did it (once with the kids, once without), there was some 'rocking' to the water, but it was only an issue for our 8 year old. She's petite and someone had to hold the back of her life jacket when she leaned out to do the kiss, handshake, etc.

I think it's more an issue of height. The life jacket makes you more buoyant, so those on the small side won't have perfect footing on the platform and are more susceptible to any waves.

NOTE: we had NO "waves", just a gentle rock.

Here's a picture of 1/2 of the Dolphin area at Chakanaab...

P1040989.JPG