MDR Reservations

ihopfar

The last time we sailed on NCL, you could not make reservations in the MDR. I believe last summer that policy changed and they started taking reservations for certain times.

We are considering planning another NCL cruise and are wondering how well the reservation system is working.

Does anyone have any feedback?

Please do not turn this into a debate on whether reservations are needed or not. :-)

Thanks!

Brad

We were on the Jade last week and you could make reservations for both of the non-specialty restaurants. You could actually do it online prior to the cruise (just like the specialty restaurants) or once onboard.

And how did that work for you when you went to the MDR? Was there a separate line for those with reservations? Did you go to the front of the line and say you had reservations?

Harriet

We did two cruises B2B on the Star and ran into a lot of issues trying to reserve in either of the MDRs for dinner.

We were told at first that we could not reserve at the MDRs unless we had eight persons. We had a group of 8 persons later and tried to reserve a table and were told that we could only reserve early, like 6pm or earlier. Then we booked one night for 6pm. Then we tried to book for 6pn and were told only 5:30 was available, so we did that and showed up at 5:45 and it was not crowded.

I actually think they just didn't want to deal with us booking the MDRs, only the specialty restaurants. We did do all the specialty restaurants over 28 days, at least once.

I was wondering about reservations in the MDR too.

We have a suite for our next NCL and I was wondering if at least suite guests could reserve in the MDR.

Although on my last NCL cruise, when ever we showed up for dinner, we were seated right away and the restaurant was just about empty....this was on the Sky.

I was wondering about reservations in the MDR too.

We have a suite for our next NCL and I was wondering if at least suite guests could reserve in the MDR.

Although on my last NCL cruise, when ever we showed up for dinner, we were seated right away and the restaurant was just about empty....this was on the Sky.

Yes, if you are in a suite, the concierge can make reservations for you, no problem.

Janelle

And how did that work for you when you went to the MDR? Was there a separate line for those with reservations? Did you go to the front of the line and say you had reservations?

Harriet

We were on the Pearl last month and had reservations for 630 a few nights. Most nights there was just one line and those with reservations were seated right away. I didn't see anyone having to wait though.

We were on the Pearl last month and had reservations for 630 a few nights. Most nights there was just one line and those with reservations were seated right away. I didn't see anyone having to wait though.

The reason I asked is because on my last cruise I had reservations for the MDR. There was only one line and I was told to wait in the line with everyone else....so my thoughts were, "what's the difference of having a reservation if I still have to wait in line with all the others that don't have a reservation".

Did you go to the front of the line and tell them you had reservations?

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

The reason I asked is because on my last cruise I had reservations for the MDR. There was only one line and I was told to wait in the line with everyone else....so my thoughts were, "what's the difference of having a reservation if I still have to wait in line with all the others that don't have a reservation".

Harriet

We are sailing on the Sun next week and we have reservations for the MDR for most nights (a couple of specialties the other nights).

This concerns me because I made the reservations so that we could be seated as soon as possible when we arrive, since we are sailing with our children.

Can anyone elaborate? If you wait in the same line, how do they know that you have reservations? Can you go to the front of the line? I don't want to be rude, but...

How did you make pre reservations before boarding?

I wonder as well. I tried to do so for the Star and apparently, only reservations for specialty restaurants were allowed before the cruise (and you have to pay in advance for that).

I think NCL handles the MDR reservations very poorly (at least they did on the Star).

The first few days of our cruises (both 14 day cruises), the line for both MDRs were long with delays. About half way through the cruises, the lines were not bad.

Frankly, I think it would be better just to not allow reservations for the MDRs, since making such reservations is hit and miss. If you make a reservation and there is a long line ahead of you, do you want to elbow through a crowd to cut in front of everyone? That is what happens.

Harriet

We experienced the same on Epic. We did not even attempt to go to the front of the line as that seemed totally inappropriate. I concluded as you did, Harriet: What's the difference?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How did you make pre reservations before boarding?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the names of the restaurants.

I reserved for the Seven Seas and the Four Seasons. I thought those were the main dining rooms??? If not, sorry for the confusion! If they are, I booked them just the same way I did the specialty restaurants, just without having to pay the (specialty) fee.

Can anyone elaborate? If you wait in the same line, how do they know that you have reservations? Can you go to the front of the line? I don't want to be rude, but...

I'm also curious about how this is handled currently.

When I was aboard the Dawn about 3 years ago, they were experimenting with allowing parties of any size to make reservations for the aft MDR. As I recall, they ended up with TWO lines - I'll call 'em the "reservation" line and the "freestyle" line - and an additional hostess outside the dining room at the top of the stairs to direct people accordingly.

At the appointed reservation time (say 6:00 PM) it looked like they would alternate between taking maybe two parties from the reservation line, and then one from the freestyle line, as tables became available. So the reservation people did get seated a bit sooner, but I can't imagine that anyone was truly happy with this procedure.

So is this the way they are doing it now???

At the appointed reservation time (say 6:00 PM) it looked like they would alternate between taking maybe two parties from the reservation line, and then one from the freestyle line, as tables became available. So the reservation people did get seated a bit sooner, but I can't imagine that anyone was truly happy with this procedure.

So is this the way they are doing it now???

Better than nothing, I suppose! Kind of defeats the point of making a reservation...but then again making a reservation sort of defeats the point of freestyle cruising! lol

We were on the Star for 13 days in November. Prior to the cruise, I stumbled onto the web-based application that allowed me to make reservations in the MDR's. So, I made reservations for every night in the Versailles for a party of two at 6:30 PM (kind of contra to the whole concept of Free Style).

At the top of the stairs to enter the Versailles MDR, there was a staff member directing those with reservations to go down the left stairway to the door. They had a second computer setup inside the door to process the check in for people with reservations. The main check in line wrapped around the corner to the Red Lion Pub at the peak hours. We seldom had to wait more than a couple of minutes to be seated.

As our plans evolved, we released our reservations and took in 3 specialty restaurants and the chef's table. The reservation process worked for us and I would use it again if it is available.

Edited by calex

We were on the Star for 13 days in November. Prior to the cruise, I stumbled onto the web-based application that allowed me to make reservations in the MDR's. So, I made reservations for every night in the Versailles for a party of two at 6:30 PM (kind of contra to the whole concept of Free Style).

At the top of the stairs to enter the Versailles MDR, there was a staff member directing those with reservations to go down the left stairway to the door. They had a second computer setup inside the door to process the check in for people with reservations. The main check in line wrapped around the corner to the Red Lion Pub at the peak hours. We seldom had to wait more than a couple of minutes to be seated.

As our plans evolved, we released our reservations and took in 3 specialty restaurants and the chef's table. The reservation process worked for us and I would use it again if it is available.

That's good to know. I was on the Star for a 14 day cruise September into October and there was only one line at that time. Maybe they've 'seen the light' and made changes!

Harriet

Calex---please share the site:D

Log onto https://www.ncl.com/cas/login?service=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncl.com%2Fbge%2Fmy-account and pull up your reservation. From memory (no active reservations to check at the moment), go to a specific date like you are booking a shore excursions, and look for the dining option buttons. I think this is where I found the MDR and I was able to make reservations.

That's good to know. I was on the Star for a 14 day cruise September into October and there was only one line at that time. Maybe they've 'seen the light' and made changes!

Harriet

I think it is one of the changes implemented by Hotel Director Hugo Vanosmael when he came aboard recently. According to Hugo, the comments posted on-line about poor service/quality issues do get seen by NCL and they do try to make corrective actions to improve problems that get discussed.

We noticed that food was served promptly in the MDR's and hot food was being served hot requiring the servers to use hot pads. Just hope the changes stick and do not revert when management focuses on something else.

Chris

When we were on the Pearl we only saw 2 lines on Thanksgiving night when it was busier than other nights. One was for reservations. The other nights when we went at 630 there was really no waiting just a few people ahead of us.