Getting Vietnam visa on board

wotaripper

I showed this news article to Vietnamese Immigration Officials at Ha Long Bay this morning.

They were unfortunately unaware of the news and still charged each passenger US$80 plus a $10 express processing fee for individual entry visas. Group visas were not available. For those passengers who already had a vietnamese visa in their passports, there was a $1 fee for a landing card to go ashore.

Maybe next week..................

Meanwhile, a tourist visa for Vietnamese citizens to visit the USA is still US$160, plus a 30 day processing time.

:mad:

Monday, it was reported the Holland America Volendam (ship registered Netherlands), arriving at 6 am Tan Cang-Cai Mep Port in the southern province of Ba Ria-Vung Tau was extended the historical 'reinstated' $5 rate. Followed by another ship, the Windstar Star Pride of Panama (ship registered Bahamas), at the same location was also extended this rate.

Maybe it is a port by port thing right now?

Maybe it is by ship registry right now?

If you have a current Vietnam visa fee response, please include port and ship name so we may all see any trends.

Thanks

That report is not quite true.

We have been in touch with the Pursers on both of those vessels.

They have been paying the same newly increased visa fees that we have been paying - and getting the same number of complaints from passengers.

Our Agent in Da Nang has just informed us today that the old lower price - and the old group visa - may be (or not) re-instated when we call there in a few days.

That report is not quite true.

We have been in touch with the Pursers on both of those vessels.

They have been paying the same newly increased visa fees that we have been paying - and getting the same number of complaints from passengers.

Our Agent in Da Nang has just informed us today that the old lower price - and the old group visa - may be (or not) re-instated when we call there in a few days.

What Vessel are you with?

Do you need to have a photo for the cruise line group visa? Do the cruise lines just use the pic they take when you board?:confused:

Yes...there is an E-mail floating around from Celebrity saying that they now require a photo (passport size) be obtained by guests and will be collected at check-in. They say Vietnam officials have now requested individual passport photos with the group visa.

Yes...there is an E-mail floating around from Celebrity saying that they now require a photo (passport size) be obtained by guests and will be collected at check-in. They say Vietnam officials have now requested individual passport photos with the group visa.

Sounds like it might be a good idea to have one with you then...just in case. Cruising on RCI Mariner with a port stop in Phu My.

Thanks so much for your response.

• 2 weeks later...
We just booked with Celebrity. My TA said to bring 1 passport sized picture and Celebrity would do the visas, cost = $10. We are US and Canadian citizens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info...how long did this process take onboard or done prior to arrival in Vietnam ? Any delay in getting off the ship in this port ?

Oops sorry maybe you haven't even sailed yet....sorry for jumping the gun.

Edited by Ashland

• 2 weeks later...

My Husband went to the Vietnam Embassy to get our visas and he asked the question would we have been able to get our visas on the ship, he was told that the rules changed January 2015, you can get a visa at an airport but not a port.

Hope this is helpful

My Husband went to the Vietnam Embassy to get our visas and he asked the question would we have been able to get our visas on the ship, he was told that the rules changed January 2015, you can get a visa at an airport but not a port.

Hope this is helpful

Of course the Vietnam Embassy will say this because they want you go buy your Visa from them as it helps pay for the running costs of the Embassy.

If you are on a cruise ship visiting Vietnam, you will be able to get a Visa which will be organised by the ship while onboard and charged to your account.

It will just be a question of how much effort will be required to fill in an application and possibly now provide a passport photo and of course the cost.

The cost, prior to 1 Jan 2015 was $5 for a visa and no photo or application required although the various cruise lines charged anywhere from $5 up as some saw it as a way for extra revenue.

Unfortunately the Vietnamese government, with little notice increased the fee to $45 from 1 Jan 2015 as well as required an application and passport photo etc for each passenger. Despite some reports that the Government has gone back to the old policy that was in place prior to 1 Jan 2015 it seems not all ports are on the same wave length and probably want to keep the new rate in place for the extra revenue generated.

Unless you are leaving the ship in Vietnam for say an overnight journey elsewhere don't be taken in by the advice of Vietnam Embassies about this matter. No ship will call to Vietnam if visas cannot be obtain while on the ship as there would be no point if most passengers cannot disembark for the day.

We received our email from Clebrity 3 weeks and 3 days before we fly, we had previousley phoned and emailed them to ask if they deal with the visas and in both cases they said no you have to apply yourselve, i am asking any British person on the cruise if they have had the same problem but to date we have not had a reply from a British person.

Hi guys we are sailing on Mariner of the Seas on 11th of February from Singapore I know you can obtain a visa for Vietnam on board for Australian and U.S.A passport holders I was wondering if this was so for British Passport holders.Would appreciate any input on this matter.Thanks Janet.

Please let us know how it went at Phu My for entry, we sail the 7th.

Thank you

Please let us know how it went at Phu My for entry, we sail the 7th.

Thank you

You will be able to get your visa on the ship - see my post above - it will just be a question of documentation and cost.

I am amazed at the concern shown here about this issue as I have travel to Vietnam by ship three times and with all nationalities and there was never an issue other than the cost of the visa varied between cruise lines who either charged the fee imposed by the vietnamese Government or added a "hefty" charge to make more money from cruisers.

Enjoy your trip - take a couple of passport photos in case they are need and go with the flow

You will be able to get your visa on the ship - see my post above - it will just be a question of documentation and cost.

I am amazed at the concern shown here about this issue as I have travel to Vietnam by ship three times and with all nationalities and there was never an issue other than the cost of the visa varied between cruise lines who either charged the fee imposed by the vietnamese Government or added a "hefty" charge to make more money from cruisers.

Enjoy your trip - take a couple of passport photos in case they are need and go with the flow

Thank you for your response. But the question was posed to get current specific information about this port. Since the law changed and changed back in January there have been MANY conflicting reports from various ports regarding costs and proceedures. Some are having EACH passenger apply and pay expedite fee processing each separately at the port costing a lot more money and a lot more time.

Having current accurate information about this specific port will help us be prepared for the cost and the time, reducing our stress.

So our question is still open to anyone that has docked at the port of Phu My in the last couple of weeks. What is the current process, cost and time for visa and leaving port?

Thank you

just got back off the Milennium. The visa cost us only $6 each with no charges made by Celebrity. I believe overnight cost is $50 pp.

You will require passport photos or you can pay for your cruiseline's photographer.

I hope our RCI in a few weeks will be the same...Thanks for the info.

Thank you for your response. But the question was posed to get current specific information about this port. Since the law changed and changed back in January there have been MANY conflicting reports from various ports regarding costs and proceedures. Some are having EACH passenger apply and pay expedite fee processing each separately at the port costing a lot more money and a lot more time.

Having current accurate information about this specific port will help us be prepared for the cost and the time, reducing our stress.

So our question is still open to anyone that has docked at the port of Phu My in the last couple of weeks. What is the current process, cost and time for visa and leaving port?

Thank you

I have answered your question on our Rollcall where you posted wanting recent information.

Hopefully it was helpful to you.

I have answered your question on our Rollcall where you posted wanting recent information.

Hopefully it was helpful to you.

Yes, thank you.

Our contact in Vietnam just reported a problem at Ha Long Bay, with port officials shaking down the operators waiting outside the port (running them off with physical threat, if they don't pay the port fees even if they are not coming in the port and making passengers get special permission papers) :mad: (making them pay the difference) and I see here from BruceMuzz, that at least 3 times late in January Ha Long Bay port was doing their own thing . . . so be aware, those going to port of Ha Long Bay it seems to be corrupt and makes up its own rules daily.

We are watching and hoping this doesn't happen in Phu My. So far nothing off course to report there.:o

Edited by akSail7

Just off Mariner of the Seas. The cost on board for the Vietnam visa was USD6. No photos required.

Good on RCI for only charging the Visa fee at $6. Some other cruise lines will add a considerable amount to the actual visa fee as another way of increasing revenue.

Just off Mariner of the Seas. The cost on board for the Vietnam visa was USD6. No photos required.

Do you mind giving some details about getting off the ship in Vietnam ?

Was there a lot of congestion in the line up to get off?

Was there a ship offered shuttle bus from ship to port gate?

Were you on a private or ship offered excursion?

Basically what was the procedure for getting off?

Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a B2B cruise stopping at 3 Vietnam ports. Celebrity charged us a one time fee of $6US per person for our Visa. If you were staying overnight off the ship the visa was $50. We did (US citizens) have to have photos taken $5 per person charged to onboard account. We did both ship excursions and local taxis. Never had a problem leaving or entering port.